carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #11
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post

I really have to figure out how to get the E39 gone.
You think there is any way to do that without upsetting your Mom? Something you said in the GTI thread made me think she wants you to keep your Dad's E39
Old 07-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
You think there is any way to do that without upsetting your Mom? Something you said in the GTI thread made me think she wants you to keep your Dad's E39

She does. Which is why I want her to take it. I just can't have 5 cars.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
JST

Great news. I liked Stohlman the best, too, but they didn't have the color I wanted so I had to buy from Springfield. It was not pleasant but ultimately they gave me a decent deal (and their F&I process wasn't so bad).

What's the name of the salesman? Sounds like he deserves some referral work.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats! Aren't these cars awesome? Decent feel and capability. Much better to drive than my b8 a4.

I like (and more importantly she loves) ours. The sunroof is BS, it's really quite awful, and the perforated "shade" is the icing. There is no aftermarket for that, other than super dark tint on the glass. I think we would have liked Plaid (Cara's choice) + LSD, but the leather & stereo & the slightly used deal made it happen. We bought it with 4200 miles and are up to 8600 already in three months.

The potenzas are decent in the wet and quiet, but note that they are all-seasons. Fine for that car, but they are no tire to write home about. They squeal often under moderate driving conditions, even the low-output APR chip seems to ask for better tires. With the full APR power, it was not even funny, tires were breaking loose at highway speeds. Summary: I wouldn't go to great lengths to get the b-stones (then again I haven't driven on those particular 'kooks).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
clyde
Chief title editor

TD, congrats on getting the deal you wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
That's how you know that you succeeded in negotiating the best deal you're going to get; when the F&I guy gets angry. He's the last stop in ensuring that the dealership actually makes some money on the deal.

If he didn't even offer you those wretched warranties, then you really must've socked it to them. He just wanted you out of his sight! LOL
I have F&I experiences all over the map. When I bought the FoST, the only thing he asked was if he got me the same rate as my credit union (1.49% I think), would I finance through him. The RX-8 was more "traditizonal" and he had fancy bullshit screens trying to sell me on an absurd rate over an obscene number of months telling me it was cheaper. I had to threaten to walk when I bought the 325xiT because he wouldn't stop trying to sell me their LoJack like thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #16
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Documentation fee?

What is this? You have to pay them to do their job?
Do any dealers not generally charge a documentation fee any more? But to answer your question, basically, yes. They should be paying for the services/actions they cover through the car's purchase price. The problem is that if they say they charge everyone and they do, if they don't charge you, they open themselves up to lawsuits from everyone that paid. I have no idea how much merit there is to that (one of he law talking people might be able to speak to it better than me), but there can still be ways around it. One car (the RX-8, I think), they would have let me walk over it when I feigned ignorance of that as an additional charge. We got through it by them dropping the price of the car by an equal amount. Even so, I've always negotiated the prices of the cars with that charge in mind. If they'd called my bluff when I threatened to walk on the RX-8, I still would have been happy with my total cost. Instead I saved $150 (or $250 or $300? I can't remember) off the price I was already happy with.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
kognito
older fart than ZBB

when I bought our current Focus, the first dealer I visited wanted 500 bucks doc fee (after sales guy jerked me around for 2 days) Dealer I bought from laughed about first dealer. I drove away in the Focus 40 minutes after I pulled into the dealer. Has to be a record for me. No BS from Sales or F&I. Halfway filled out a credit app, and was out the door with 0% for 60 months.

First oil change on the Focus I went back to the first dealer as they have a nicer Fast Change building. The freakin dipshit mechanic forgot to replace the oil cap, so not only do they know how to rip off their customers, they don't know how to service their cars either.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #18
equ
Alphanumeric

After some experimentation with Normal, Individual (and different set-ups within that) etc, we settled on Sport Mode. Both Cara and I drive it in that. The main difference is throttle response. It's a bit touchy, but it shifts smoother both up and down in that mode. The steering also has some heft. I have no idea what the different modes do to the diff up front.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #19
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
After some experimentation with Normal, Individual (and different set-ups within that) etc, we settled on Sport Mode. Both Cara and I drive it in that. The main difference is throttle response. It's a bit touchy, but it shifts smoother both up and down in that mode. The steering also has some heft. I have no idea what the different modes do to the diff up front.

Not sure if the drive mode options are the same on ours. But we have Sport, Normal and Custom. The custom lets you toggle between sport and normal on individual setting items. We're using custom with everything set to sport except "engine noise" - which turns off the damn SoundAktor.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

On the b8.5 s4, I hated the soundaktor and kept the fuse off. I did the same on the GTI, but then I disliked the wheezy natural sound and reconnected the wire or the fuse, whatever it is. It just sounds fuller or more round.