carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Cayman Thoughts

OK, so don't laugh too hard, but..... So far I'm liking, not loving, the Cayman. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I'm still shocked that it feels like a brand new car. It's in unbelievable condition. But here's where I'm not feeling the love.

I. Seats

I don't quite fit in the sport seats. If I were 1-2 sizes narrower they'd be ideal. But the bolsters press on my sides and hips. It's not terrible, but I'd describe it more as "OK / tolerable" than an great experience.

I put a thin piece of foam behind the seat back in the lumbar area (pressing me further out means less pressure from the sloping sides). It helped, but not enough so say I'm totally comfortable.

BTW, it's not a fat vs skinny issue; it's a rib cage width issue. If I were rounder I might fit into the deep bolsters better.

II. Sound

The R has quite a bit of sound insulation removed. The aural experience I perceive when driving the R is, in this order:

1. Road noise
2. Engine noise
3. Exhaust (distant third)

I'd prefer that list be reversed. I really can't hear the exhaust at all, and I don't find road noise particularly intoxicating.

III. Ride / road quality

This is going to sound like a contradiction. I'm pleasantly surprised at the ride quality of the R - It's not harsh at all. But at the same time, the roads around me are so shitty that it makes it hard to appreciate the strengths of this vehicle. You can't drive too fast around the blind corners because you might kill a kid. And yet you are feeling every bump in the road, while listening to gravel and asphalt bits pelt the non-insulated wheel wells. I keep thinking, "Now this is just silly..."

It's much more enjoyable once you get it out on the open road where it can stretch it's legs. But the highway I commute on is mostly straight, so.......

I going to do nothing for a bit longer to see if my feelings change. I could try to replace the seats, but given the other issues I'm not sure I want to make that investment (plus, from my reading it's a pain - getting the electric adaptors to work out is hit or miss).

To be continued....

Last edited by rumatt; 06-01-2017 at 09:59 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Should've bought a Macan.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Should've bought a Macan.
Sounds about right.

I do wonder how much of what I wrote above would apply to any sports car, vs being specific to / accentuated by the Cayman R.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I'm sorry it's not working out to perfection for you, really.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say I find this very entertaining.

The bolsters aren't adjustable? Even my lowly 1M has adjustable side bolsters. (Could you please pass the Grey Poupon?)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
It's such a fine line between uber car and livable driver. My car errs on the side of livable, so I miss uber a bit. If I had uber, I'd miss livable.

So I choose to be satisfied. And continue to shop for uber for the spouse.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
But I'd be lying if I didn't say I find this very entertaining.
You and me both. I am here for your entertainment
Quote:
The bolsters aren't adjustable? Even my lowly 1M has adjustable side bolsters. (Could you please pass the Grey Poupon?)

And nope!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
You and me both. I am here for your entertainment

And nope!
That's interesting on the sport seats. I looove the sport seats, and I am...ahem...bigger all around then you. So maybe they are made for larger guys?

On the exhaust note front, it sounds like you just need a louder exhaust. STRAIGHT PIPES FTW.

Make sure to post here if you decide to sell. Equ and I can have a knife fight over it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Hmmph... Color me surprised. I think the Cayman R is an all-time great.

My shoulders don't fit (as in lie flat against) the sports seats, but that's the design. True, for our roads, PASM is better than the fixed, lowered suspensions... Almost everything you complain about would be ameliorated in a 2014-16 Cayman S or GTS (for you with PASM and 14-way seats) without giving up performance. But if you go from the Cay R to a 981S, you'll lose a good amount of feel and "special". Give it a few months, if still not "right" and in love, test drive a 981S. You won't lose much on the Cay R.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
If you don't like the sport seats maybe you can find someone who has a pair of base seats they'd trade you

I'll admit I found it interesting you bought a Cayman R given what we talked about WRT road quality in your area. Seemed to me a Cayman S would have been a better choice. Maybe you're more of a 911 cruiser type of guy

If it's any consolation, if the R is too stiff, a Z4M would have already pulverized your kidneys.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #10
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
OK, so don't laugh too hard, but..... So far I'm liking, not loving, the Cayman. ..
*cough* 'told ya so' *cough* (Sorry, just kidding / poking, but i do hate being right all the time. Now you know how my wife feels.)

After you sell it for a profit, there are a couple of nice Z4Ms for sale in MD:
http://www.z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/l...ListingID=8040

http://www.z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/l...ListingID=7778

If you want to check out my e88, its available for extended test driving any time you want. You can even adjust the lumbar, side bolsters and thigh support length on the sport seats before heading out
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote