carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
shipping a car

Has anyone here shipped a car lately (or ever)? Nick gave me a few options, but I figured I'd check. I was quoted $1300 for open carrier from NW Arkansas to Boston by one provider, but that seems pretty high...
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I have shipped cars. I worked through a trucking brokerage firm.. is that how you're doing it?

Seems like a pretty foolproof process as long as you don't pick the lowest priced brokers. If you do that, your order "sits on the board" for months until a trucker that absolutely needs to fill a spot on his truck picks it up.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
JST

The dealer can't arrange shipping for you? Or is that where you're getting the 1300 quote?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

My most recent experience was getting the Miata out here from San Diego a few years ago. IIRC, it was under $800 for open transport and it took maybe three weeks from drop off to pick up (and on pick up, we found out that the car had been there for over a week). Quotes varied wildly along with estimated and promised delivery times.

At $1300, you may be better flying down and driving back.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The dealer can't arrange shipping for you? Or is that where you're getting the 1300 quote?
Yep, $1300 and the dealer takes care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
My most recent experience was getting the Miata out here from San Diego a few years ago. IIRC, it was under $800 for open transport and it took maybe three weeks from drop off to pick up (and on pick up, we found out that the car had been there for over a week). Quotes varied wildly along with estimated and promised delivery times.

At $1300, you may be better flying down and driving back.
I wanted to drive it back, but we just don't have time. I guess if the process gets stretched out any further we can look into it again.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The trucker with my car called me when he was an hour away from our proposed meeting location. That was pretty convenient.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
When we bought our ZHP part of the negotiation with the dealership was that they pay for and arrange transportation out to us. I think it was about $1k or so at the time for an open transport. Fastforward 7+ years and higher fuel costs. . . . . I suppose $1300 isn't bad. I didn't see the big deal with open transport. The car arrived dirty from the travel (about what it would look like if I had driven it cross-country) but after a basic car wash it was looking really good again.

About an hour out from our place the trucker called. I suggested he park at the local mall after hours as it was easy for him to find, easy for him to maneuver it truck to off the freeway, and offered a bit area that he could turn around and unload the car.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
It's been a while, but my last couple relocations used DAS Auto Shippers http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

No idea on price since it was picked up in our relo package. But they did a good job...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Zach I just went through this ... first of all I always go for an enclosed truck ... just think about the trucks in front of you when you drive through an area with low tree's ... they don't care and that branch will hit your car.

I just paid I think it was around $1350 for a beautiful enclosed truck with a lift gate to deliver an NSX from Texas to Long Island NY. If you pm me I will see if I can find the truckers name directly though I did go through a trucking broker who set it all up.

My car was put on the truck with a lot of other really nice cars (a red Vette conv. a Mustang that had like 700 hp, a Bentley, etc) and the driver let me pull it out of his truck ... though I should add I told him if he got it to me early I'd give him an extra $100. so he was really nice with to me ... yes I got it one day early.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Zach I just went through this ... first of all I always go for an enclosed truck ... just think about the trucks in front of you when you drive through an area with low tree's ... they don't care and that branch will hit your car.

I just paid I think it was around $1350 for a beautiful enclosed truck with a lift gate to deliver an NSX from Texas to Long Island NY. If you pm me I will see if I can find the truckers name directly though I did go through a trucking broker who set it all up.

My car was put on the truck with a lot of other really nice cars (a red Vette conv. a Mustang that had like 700 hp, a Bentley, etc) and the driver let me pull it out of his truck ... though I should add I told him if he got it to me early I'd give him an extra $100. so he was really nice with to me ... yes I got it one day early.
Cool. I just got quoted $1700 for an enclosed truck by Intercity Lines. Your deal sounds better. PM sent.