carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #61
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
it would be enormously useful to have you or Clyde run the same course in both the '8 and the boxster.
I agree. Maybe next season we can make this happen.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #62
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I agree. Maybe next season we can make this happen.
I don't get it. Why is this interesting?

SCCA classing says the boxter is faster.

If you drive both on the same course, it's still only one data point. The RX8 probably wasn't aligned right anyway.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #63
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
If you drive both on the same course, it's still only one data point. The RX8 probably wasn't aligned right anyway.
I wasn't thinking competitiveness, I was thinking fun factor comparison. I already know which car would be faster and so does the SCCA.

FWIW it took Ken and I about a half hour to align the RX-8 using our ghetto techniques. The Boxster took about an hour, but only because we screwed up the first time.

I had the alignment checked when the car had its state inspection, and the toe setting was right on the money.

Bottom line being future alignment checks will be fast and easy. We even made slip plates to make the job quicker.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #64
clyde
Chief title editor

There are plenty of cars that are fun to run but can't win. And there are plenty of cars that can win but are not fun to run. And there are a few cars that are fun to run, but haven't been developed enough to know if they can win.

When you believe that you, as a driver, are capable of competing at the national level, you don't want to sink all the time, money and effort into a car unless you think the car is capable of winning. Without at least partial development, you can make some pretty good guesses, but you need to run it against the competition...competition that includes drivers that you know to be fast in cars that you know to be fast...and everyone has to have a good day that day.

Right now, we have the RX-8, which we know to be the car for its class next year (barring the JCW MCS being a whole lot better than anyone really thinks it can be and the power increase for the 350Z is negated by a weight increase and a revised suspension). That specific RX-8 is well developed and well sorted. While there is still room for improvement, it's not lacking for anything. There is also no consensus yet on what the fastest setup is. At Nationals this year, alignments settings were quite varied, shock settings were varied and a number of different front bar rates were used...and the fastest cars were all right with each other.

The Boxster S, OTOH, is an unknown. It might be good enough to win. Or it might not. There's no way to know for sure without spending a lot of money and putting in a lot of time and effort.

For 2006, in the RX-8, John and I will have to spend less than we did this past year (given a similar schedule) and we have a car that we know can win. To try making a run in the Boxster S, we'd have to spend a great deal more than this past year and we probably wouldn't have a good idea of whether it can win until mid-late summer. However, 2006 will probably be the last year I'll want to run my RX-8. After three years, I'll probably be ready to move on, and there are strong indications that the 2007 RX-8 will get a significant power increase which may hurt the 04-06 models a great deal. At the end of next season, I can sell the car and buy a truck. I can sell the mods/extras and put that money into the Boxster S then and we can make a run in that car. Between now and then, we can start fiddling with it and see if we can get a clearer idea of what we might be able to do with it in 2007.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #65
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I had the alignment checked when the car had its state inspection, and the toe setting was right on the money.
Gotcha.

I was just kidding about the alignment btw.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #66
John V
No more BMWs

I agree with what clyde posted - it doesn't make much sense to try and run the Boxster this year. Clyde just picked up a missing piece to the RX-8 puzzle now and I think we're getting closer to the right setup. It would be stupid to not make a run at it again.

The Boxster is a big "if." It has some course dependent issues compared to the S2000, Corvette and 993. It's also expensive to run because a set of wheels (stock, not lightweight) are $1200-1500 if you can find a set. Aftermarket ligth wheels are scarce... only real option is to go custom. The car also requires a tire trailer (or that the car be trailered) because there's obviously no room for tires and gear.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #67
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
sounds like you guys have a plan.

i wasn't thinking so much that you would go hardcore competing, but on the asphalt, you have the absolute best way to compare two cars short of going to a dedicated private track. i hate those drag racing stories, but to have both of you drive the boxster and the rx8 on the same autoX course, i think, would be highly informative for all of us.

i bet it might even help m-00-br buy a car.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #68
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
sounds like you guys have a plan.

i wasn't thinking so much that you would go hardcore competing, but on the asphalt, you have the absolute best way to compare two cars short of going to a dedicated private track. i hate those drag racing stories, but to have both of you drive the boxster and the rx8 on the same autoX course, i think, would be highly informative for all of us.

i bet it might even help m-00-br buy a car.
Not really. Having never driven the Boxster, I can still pretty much guarantee that it's about ten times more satisfying than the RX-8 under normal driving conditions.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote