carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Winter tires are on. Bring it on.

Just a few comments:

I borrowed a heavy floor jack from my dad (the lowest one he had at his business), but the lifting platform was incredibly concave (it honestly looked like a mini-wok). So I struggled finding different items to "fill the bowl" and not destroy the cars (particularly the V70R).

Anyhow, I put on the old LM22's (this will be their 5th season) on the 330i and took it for a ride. It must have been incredibly slippery last night because on a drive around the block, the DSC lit up like a Xmas tree. I hit the brakes at medium strength doing ~20mph on a decent downhill and the ABS triggered for about 5+ seconds straight.

An hour later, I did the same with the V70R and the TC never turned on despite a good effor tby me to make it light up. Just crazy ammounts of grip. On the same down hill as with the 330i, the ABS aslo triggered but not for quite as long. Must be a combinationf of the AWD, the newer tires, and perhaps the tires themselves, but the V70R is far and away the most confidence inspiring winter vehicle I've ever driven. It's so good, it's almost bad because it makes you forget you should be on your toes.

The conditions were about 1/2" of sticky, sleety stuff (unplowed).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Just a few comments:

I borrowed a heavy floor jack from my dad (the lowest one he had at his business), but the lifting platform was incredibly concave (it honestly looked like a mini-wok). So I struggled finding different items to "fill the bowl" and not destroy the cars (particularly the V70R).

Anyhow, I put on the old LM22's (this will be their 5th season) on the 330i and took it for a ride. It must have been incredibly slippery last night because on a drive around the block, the DSC lit up like a Xmas tree. I hit the brakes at medium strength doing ~20mph on a decent downhill and the ABS triggered for about 5+ seconds straight.

An hour later, I did the same with the V70R and the TC never turned on despite a good effor tby me to make it light up. Just crazy ammounts of grip. On the same down hill as with the 330i, the ABS aslo triggered but not for quite as long. Must be a combinationf of the AWD, the newer tires, and perhaps the tires themselves, but the V70R is far and away the most confidence inspiring winter vehicle I've ever driven. It's so good, it's almost bad because it makes you forget you should be on your toes.

The conditions were about 1/2" of sticky, sleety stuff (unplowed).

What kind of tires are on the Volvo?

Still no snow of any kind down here. Plenty of rain.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What kind of tires are on the Volvo?

Still no snow of any kind down here. Plenty of rain.
Dunlop Wintersport 3D's. Jaw-dropping good so far. This is their 2nd winter. Great in the snow, and proportionately even better in cold, dry roads. V-rated too.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
5 seasons is kind of a lot for snows, isn't it?

What's tread depth is remaining? I'm guessing the rubber is hardened regardless.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Are these the dunlop wintersport 3d's (that I recommended back last year)? If so, it's the tires. Both times I took the 528 skiing, the brakes would bite incredibly hard at 20mph on icy lots and the like... That was the strongest point of those tires, my only other point of comparison are the m3's.

Strangely enough, dunlop says the 3D's improve on the m3's on pavement, some interlocking sipe b.s. I found the opposite and missed the m3's on pavement (but that could be the car, they were on the zhp)...

5 seasons (and how many miles?) are too much for a winter tire.. The tread depth is extremely important.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
5 seasons is kind of a lot for snows, isn't it?

What's tread depth is remaining? I'm guessing the rubber is hardened regardless.
That's my guess too. There is still a fair amount. I'll measure it later. I may just need new rears - but if I buy new ones, I'd get the same as the V70R - Wintersport 3D's.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Oops, didn't see your response (a "race condition" of sorts). It's the tires, the braking has nothing to do with the vehicle in this case (as long as the brakes themselves can overcome the slippy ground). If anything, the bmw will do better due to lower weight and better balance.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Are these the dunlop wintersport 3d's (that I recommended back last year)? If so, it's the tires. Both times I took the 528 skiing, the brakes would bite incredibly hard at 20mph on icy lots and the like... That was the strongest point of those tires, my only other point of comparison are the m3's.

Strangely enough, dunlop says the 3D's improve on the m3's on pavement, some interlocking sipe b.s. I found the opposite and missed the m3's on pavement (but that could be the car, they were on the zhp)...

5 seasons (and how many miles?) are too much for a winter tire.. The tread depth is extremely important.
Well, they've been on for 4 seasons, this season (that started last night) is the 5th. I'll have to check at home, but I'd say they have 15-20K miles.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Oops, didn't see your response (a "race condition" of sorts). It's the tires, the braking has nothing to do with the vehicle in this case (as long as the brakes themselves can overcome the slippy ground). If anything, the bmw will do better due to lower weight and better balance.
The braking wasn't much different (though there was a difference). It was during acceleration that the difference was huge.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The braking wasn't much different (though there was a difference). It was during acceleration that the difference was huge.
That's of course AWD. Somehow I got the impression that the braking was quite different as well.

"I hit the brakes at medium strength doing ~20mph on a decent downhill and the ABS triggered for about 5+ seconds straight.

An hour later, I did the same with the V70R and the TC never turned on despite a good effor tby me to make it light up. Just crazy ammounts of grip. On the same down hill as with the 330i, the ABS aslo triggered but not for quite as long."