carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Sometimes it's the little things

So the only complaint I have about the new car is a rattle. It comes and goes and sometimes it's quiet, sometimes it's really, really irritating and sometimes it's gone long enough that I thought it had dissappeared. But it always came back.

I kept telling my wife that I had to get her to drive so I could sit in the back and track it down, but it's tough to fine time for that with a 6 month old and a 2.5 year old. So it just never happened.

So I needed to use the nav I had on the floor of the back seat the other day. I realized somewhere along the way that the rattle that has driven me so nuts - was the hardware in the mounting bracket that stays loose until you stick it on the windshield. That gets a and a for stupidity but a for driving enjoyment.

It also makes this car officially the best new car I have purchased to date. It's almost three months old, has about four thousand miles on it, and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. I have never made it a month in without having to schedule a service appointment before (with the possible exception of the MINI - I don't really remember taking that in ever in it's short time with me - but it had rattles that were in the car, not based on my stupidity). I don't know if BMW has improved quality or I just got lucky, but I hope this keeps up.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
ff

Best of all, it was a "no charge" repair.

I have a very random rattle in the Honda that I have track down too. I'm convinced that it's probably either one of the kids' toys, or an empty bottle of one of my wife's fat coffee drinks rolling around under the seat.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote