carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #61
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
No, sounds like what you have is juussst right. It's not like you're at a job site. Have the more enjoyable drive.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #62
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Yeah, that was the logic.

Other things

- driving it is surprisingly fun. The steering is nice and the truck gives you a sense of over-confidence when driving through corners. The stability control manages the back end nicely. Turn it off and you're reminded of what snap-oversteer is

- the ride is rough on bumpy stuff, but it's really nice to no longer be worried that I'm going to get a flat or dent a rim so I just plow onward. So far I'm digging it.

- the seats are pretty terrible. I think I picked the lesser of 2 evils by getting leather. They don't have the weird doughnut bolster that makes your legs fall asleep, so they're quite comfortable until you turn.. But the lack of bolstering is pretty damn annoying because you're flopping side to side in turns.

- the build quality is laughable. Some plastic pieces move when you touch them and/or have major coloring defects. The rear bumper is visibly crooked. If I don't slam the rear door I get an intermittent "driver door open" warning. I was prepared for this, but yeah.

- the epa 24 mpg city rating can easily be obtained by finding a flat road and driving the speed limit. If you have hills or drive fast it drops. I do a mix of highway and city driving and my OBC says 19.4 mph since new. I'm told it lies but I'm not going to measure it manually. Lie to me and make me feel good, baby.

- unlike BMWs which over-estimate your speed, the Colorado consistently reports 1 mph less than waze at highway speeds.

Last edited by rumatt; 04-16-2018 at 07:40 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #63
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The "small" trucks (in quotes because I think these things are bigger than full size truck were in the mid to late 90's) I've been in over the last ten years have all had horrible seats. I'm not sure if it's just the manufacturers cutting costs vs. the full size trucks (because the seats in the new Silverado are really excellent) or if they're trying to maximize interior dimensions or what. Greg had a Pathfinder (small truck based) that caused me leg and back pain after an hour. Every Tacoma since the beginning of time... horrible seats (seems like a Toyota thing). Bummer about the Colorado.

The dealer should be able to fix the door closing issue and the rear bumper. The plastics, well... good luck
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #64
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Can't you get one of those cage thingies to extend the bed when needed?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #65
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Every Tacoma since the beginning of time... horrible seats (seems like a Toyota thing). Bummer about the Colorado.
The Colorado seats are way better than the Tacoma. The tacoma seats are a nightmare. But the coloradofans forum does have the occasional post about people upgrading from a colorado to a silverado just for the seats.

Quote:
The dealer should be able to fix the door closing issue and the rear bumper. The plastics, well... good luck
I forgot to mention.. when opening the tailgate, only one cable gets tight. I can sit on the loose corner and there is still slack in the cable. There's a GM memo that says this is normal and if the dealers try to fix it, they will not be reimbursed.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #66
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
... the tailgate
Put one of these on the tailgate.

The door and bumper should both have enough slop in the bolts to adjust properly.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #67
Alan
Carmudgeon

You put that tree in your brand new truck bed ... I am guessing you’re not worried about scratching your paint :eeps

I would be a really bad truck owner I would never use it for its intended use for fear of scratching it up.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #68
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
You put that tree in your brand new truck bed ... I am guessing you’re not worried about scratching your paint :eeps

I would be a really bad truck owner I would never use it for its intended use for fear of scratching it up.
Seems like the spray-on liner is a pretty decent option, from what I can tell. Without some sort of liner, I'd be just as cautious about scratching, though.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #69
rumatt
Mugwump

Yeah I have a Line-X spray in liner, and a rubber mat on top of that. I'm not worried about it at all. And the top of the bed rails are plastic.

I'm not too excited about scratching paint on sides of the truck with branches hanging over, but whatever. Why the hell would I buy a truck if I'm not going to use it?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #70
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Put one of these on the tailgate.
Oh that's interesting. I was first going to try reversing the cables, and hope maybe that the cable length variation aligns better with whatever amount the bed is likely out of square.

But I found it pretty lame that GM claims it's normal tolerances.

Last edited by rumatt; 04-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.