carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #41
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
How deep are the waters you cross? The xdrive is more than fine in bad weather. You also pay the SUV penalty with mpg, ride, handling, weight, everything... A light wagon is a much nicer drive than an SUV. A 3er is a nicer drive than a 5er or an a6.
All that is true. But not sure I care as much, if it's s second car (along with my 2). I've had two 3 wagons, a 5 wagon, two X5s, and a million 3 sedans/convertible. I totally get it. Also, there is such a glut of Xs on the market, they are relatively cheap for what you get.

And, admittedly, the 2 is so spartan, it would be nice to have the comparative luxury of the X5 platform.

Water pools up fast here. Not sure of the depth, three inches? Probably more, as it often hits the front end of my 2 and plows.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
A 3er is a nicer drive than a 5er or an a6.
Can you explain this one a bit ... are you saying a 3 series is better driving then a 5 series and A6 ?

Being I have/had all 3 I am interested in what this means ... not judging just wondering.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #43
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Can you explain this one a bit ... are you saying a 3 series is better driving then a 5 series and A6 ?

Being I have/had all 3 I am interested in what this means ... not judging just wondering.
I sold my 535i and went to a 340i. I thought I'd miss the 5 more. I like driving the 3 better, it's lighter on its feet, easier on tighter streets. It doesn't ride as soft, but it's almost as luxurious/quiet on the highway. The only 5-series I miss is the e39.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:12 PM   #44
JST

Yeah the 5s are big and soft compared to the 3ers, measuring equivalent trim levels.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:12 PM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah the 5s are big and soft compared to the 3ers, measuring equivalent trim levels.
Same dynamic with the 2 to 3 equation...
Old 03-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #46
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
All that is true. But not sure I care as much, if it's s second car (along with my 2). I've had two 3 wagons, a 5 wagon, two X5s, and a million 3 sedans/convertible. I totally get it. Also, there is such a glut of Xs on the market, they are relatively cheap for what you get.

And, admittedly, the 2 is so spartan, it would be nice to have the comparative luxury of the X5 platform.

Water pools up fast here. Not sure of the depth, three inches? Probably more, as it often hits the front end of my 2 and plows.
Also, there are few if any light wagons left on the market. With the demise of the Golf wagon, the lightest are probably the A4 allroad and outback. Both of those are pushing 4k pounds. Not much lighter than an x3 for example. In terms of mileage, the A4 allroad and X3 both get the same epa rating of 25 combined. Also comparing those 2, I'm not sure the a4's slightly lower CoG would make it much more engaging or fun than an x3 either owing to its more front-heavy weight distribution and number steering. As for the Outback, I'm 100% sure an x3 is a better drive. I do think the a4 allroad looks cooler than x3 so there's that. What wagons am I forgetting?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #47
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Also, there are few if any light wagons left on the market. With the demise of the Golf wagon, the lightest are probably the A4 allroad and outback. Both of those are pushing 4k pounds. Not much lighter than an x3 for example. In terms of mileage, the A4 allroad and X3 both get the same epa rating of 25 combined. Also comparing those 2, I'm not sure the a4's slightly lower CoG would make it much more engaging or fun than an x3 either owing to its more front-heavy weight distribution and number steering. As for the Outback, I'm 100% sure an x3 is a better drive. I do think the a4 allroad looks cooler than x3 so there's that. What wagons am I forgetting?
There's the Mercedes. But that would only be an option in a depreciated used model...

I drove an A3 I thought was decent. But I haven't driven an A4 wagon in awhile. The new A6 wagon has just come out, but that is in the $70k range.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #48
robg
Carmudgeon

Smoked Topaz 3 Series Wagon

Quote:
There's the Mercedes. But that would only be an option in a depreciated used model...

I drove an A3 I thought was decent. But I haven't driven an A4 wagon in awhile. The new A6 wagon has just come out, but that is in the $70k range.

Right - I excluded the a6 and mb wagons given they are far from light. Im skeptical how much more fun to drive either woukd be than an x5. An RS6 avant however sounds quite tasty. An e400 wagon doesn’t manage to be quicker or more fuel efficient either Iirc. As manufacturers like bmw have poured more development money into their SUVs, while the choices caikabke for wagons become more limited, the “wagon is better” meme is not always true like it once was.

To me getting a wagon is more about looks and making a statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #49
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

Maybe I am in a very small camp of liking these, but dropping the wagon has made for some nice markdowns. This dealer has 5 of them, all AWD https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 03-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #50
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Maybe I am in a very small camp of liking these, but dropping the wagon has made for some nice markdowns. This dealer has 5 of them, all AWD https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Ive mentioned before I have tried to get numerous friend to check those out. That is a shiton of car for the money
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote