carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #251
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
"It drove better with a clutch slave cylinder"?

Come up and drive it when JV has the get together!
Maybe JV will finally have his get together at the unveiling.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #252
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I have to say, I can't wait for a post-makeover review. From both JV and Matt.

This is going to be one sweet time machine car when it's done.

Quote:
"It drove better with a clutch slave cylinder"?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #253
Alan
Carmudgeon

any update on Matts car ??
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #254
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I've been working on it, but everything I've been doing is too dirty to want to get my phone out to take pictures.

I finished extracting the other broken exhaust manifold studs. That job is positively no fun, but it's done. That was the main thing holding me up from getting the clutch done and the transmission back in.

The shift select rod in the transmission had a bad seal, so I pulled and replaced that. I got to use my homemade slide hammer which always makes me happy. I also installed the shift console bushings, cleaned up the console, and re-installed that with new clips.

The cooling system is done. The thermostat housing had obviously been leaking fairly badly, as there was a trail of coolant residue down the front cover of the engine. The overflow tank, somehow, didn't have a crack in it. Given the mileage, it should have been broken. I'm glad Matt bought genuine BMW replacements. The aftermarket stuff is garbage for the cooling system (except the Stewart pump ).

Both motor mounts are done. The VANOS is rebuilt and back on the car. The valve cover gasket is done and the cover is back on the engine. The throttle body and idle control valve are clean and reinstalled along with all new intake boots. I flushed the brakes and will flush the clutch slave when the trans is back in the car. The oil filter housing is on with a new seal.

So... coming up this weekend. Finish the clutch and flywheel install. Re-install the transmission, with a new giubo on the driveshaft. Bleed the clutch slave. Get the accessories installed back onto the engine (PS pump, alternator). Hopefully get the car back on four wheels and do the alignment, and bleed the cooling system. I'd like to take it for a drive (with no front bumper) but I'm not sure that'll happen. I want to at least get it out into the driveway so I can powerwash the engine bay. Which I should have done before I started, but I like to see where the leaks are and you can't really tell until you start tearing into stuff.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #255
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Earlier today I was thinking how much I miss my car!

This is awesome.

But do I really need to put a bumper on it?

Last edited by rumatt; 06-28-2017 at 12:12 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #256
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

But do I really need to put a bumper on it?
not here in SC
Old 06-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #257
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
not here in SC
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #258
John V
No more BMWs

As I said I haven't been taking many pictures, but I have made quite a bit of progress. The engine is completely back together up top and both motor mounts are done. The mounts weren't too terrible but one side was soaked with oil from the oil filter housing leak and both sides had drooped quite a bit.

I changed the fluid in the transmission. Lifetime fill? Well, if you consider that this car is starting its second life then maybe that makes sense.

The flywheel is back in and I planned to do the clutch and transmission today, but when I looked at the clutch kit, there's no alignment tool. Of course the only one I have is for a five-speed car and won't work with this one. Super annoying. There's really not much more I can do until I get the transmission back in the car, so I'm at a standstill right now.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #259
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
As I said I haven't been taking many pictures, but I have made quite a bit of progress. The engine is completely back together up top and both motor mounts are done.

Quote:
The flywheel is back in and I planned to do the clutch and transmission today, but when I looked at the clutch kit, there's no alignment tool. Of course the only one I have is for a five-speed car and won't work with this one. Super annoying. There's really not much more I can do until I get the transmission back in the car, so I'm at a standstill right now.
Want to order one and put it on my tab? Or do I need to order something?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #260
John V
No more BMWs

Since I obviously got bitten by the Photobucket "fuck you" I'm removing my account. I think I can share files on Drive, but supposedly the hyperlinks are dynamic, so I expect these pictures won't last long.

Today was a good day. The clutch alignment tool came in, as well as a few other things. A new air filter (not sure how we forgot the most obvious thing), and a new clutch fork, pivot bushing and retention spring. I got the clutch buttoned up and the transmission back in the car. The driveshaft is back in with a new giubo as well. The shifter feels so much better running through the gears. Everything under there was just completely worn out, as you'd expect with so many miles.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5C...ew?usp=sharing

When I was under there, I noticed a bit of surface rust on the underbody near where the crossbraces go. I couldn't let that stand, so I took some 120 grit to the rusty areas and shot them with rust converting primer. I'll hit these ares with some POR-15 tomorrow after the primer is dry and then put the heat shielding on, the braces, and get the exhaust buttoned up.

I did flush the brakes and clutch. Brake fluid was in pretty bad shape, but everything seems happy now.

Not much left to do at this point before the car can hit the road. I need to put the new rear sway bar on. I need to clean up the hubs and hit them with some paint so the wheels won't get stuck to them. The car will need a four wheel alignment. The reinforcement brace needs to be bolted back on. And I need to bleed the cooling system and get the belts and fan back in. Oh, and there's no front bumper on the car Hopefully I can drive the car to work a few days next week to shake down any issues.