carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #41
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Mobil 1 has a Euro-spec formula that is I think 0-40w. I used it in both the 330 and the M3. Both seemed to burn less of this then the BMW oil.

But I bet regular Mobil 1 would work just as well.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #42
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post

I found this on the madrussian.net site, which seems to be a reasonably good resource for a few things.
That site caters more to the m3....I know my 325 didn't have that center jack point.

I use the front jack points to lift the car and place a stand under the inboard frame rail.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #43
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Quote:
Aaaarrgh. Ok, another question (thanks with all the help guys) regarding the oil. After perusing bimmerfest and following this link from a thread I'm now greatly confused about the oil usage for the standard E46.

Its soundling like (according to the link) the Mobil 1 5w30 is too thin and not recommended by BMW, but that Mobil 1 0w40 is ok. Is this information still accurate? If I can use the Mobile 1 it would be great as it's readily available in my area.

When I checked the Mobil1 website and ran through their "what's right for my car?" process it came up with Mobil 1 0W40 as well. Am I good to go with this?
I saw this thread also and wondered. However, I have just used the BMW Oil so far and had no problems. Best of luck!
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #44
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Aaaarrgh. Ok, another question (thanks with all the help guys) regarding the oil. After perusing bimmerfest and following this link from a thread I'm now greatly confused about the oil usage for the standard E46.

Its soundling like (according to the link) the Mobil 1 5w30 is too thin and not recommended by BMW, but that Mobil 1 0w40 is ok. Is this information still accurate? If I can use the Mobile 1 it would be great as it's readily available in my area.

When I checked the Mobil1 website and ran through their "what's right for my car?" process it came up with Mobil 1 0W40 as well. Am I good to go with this?

I've always used either Mobil 1 5W30 or Castrol Syntec 5W30. Nearly 100K now and the engine still purrs.

Haven't noticed any appreciable difference in consumption... both have required 1-2 quarts top-off between 7500 mile changes.

Generally, I find I need to top off more often in the fall and winter than the summer. Smaller seals in the cold?