carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #811
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
There's no logic, or rational explanation for me ordering the model 3. I didn't even want one, for all the reasons stated above. I only test drove one on a whim.

Something about the test drive made me want it. Having 400+ HP instantly with zero lag might have had something to do with it. I just hope that whatever made me like it so much during test drive continues on through ownership. I'm only partly convinced that it will.

I'd say drive one. Until then, it won't make sense. You might hate it... but you might say, "MUST HAVE. that other shit doesn't matter. Take my CA$H MONEY!!!111!"
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #812
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I want mine back (or a replacement -- see more below).

Not sure I understand the hate about the touch screen. After driving the S for 5+ years, I really liked it -- and I had no issue with muscle memory issues. Especially since most of the frequently controlled things either never moved off the screen or had a steering wheel button as an option (volume, next track).

I'm currently in a Ford Fusion Hybrid for a rental (ugh…). The large number of buttons and small non-touch screen is much worse. 2 mornings now, I plugged my phone into the USB port to charge while driving, and about 25 minutes into my commute I got some random message saying that there were too many files on my device so the voice response on the car wouldn't work (WTF?). So I pulled out my emergency cigarette plug USB thingy to use going forward.

Regarding insurance and repairs. The first claim check is on its way to me (for ~$12k, all less my deductible, which will get refunded at some point since the other driver was at fault)… Since its repairable, they are at least starting to order parts. I believe there will be much more damage found once work starts. I have a feeling it will take at least 1-2 months to complete repairs.

But I really don't want that car back, so I'm now working on a diminished value claim. I stopped by Tesla this afternoon to see if they could help provide a trade estimate that notes the vehicle has repaired crash damage. My insurance also said they would help provide a value estimate. Once I have those, I can put a claim in to the other insurance company. I'm hoping to make the numbers work to just order a replacement and sell/trade this one...

Also, I received a copy of the police report of the accident -- attached is a snippet showing the diagram of what happened. My car is Unit 3. I still don't know how the Civic (Unit 1) avoided hitting the 2-3 other cars that were in front of me. The gap from where I was hit and the Yukon/horse trailer came to a stop was only a couple car lengths. This accident could have been so much worse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash Report.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	12038  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #813
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Why would it be? You might be right, but I attribute this shift to Tesla, not to electric cars inherently.
Agree that it's Tesla-centric, but the major manufacturers have been trying to move that way for a while. If Tesla is successful at it, I'd expect the others to glom on as hard and fast as the can...and "Right to Repair" legislative proposals to multiply. Wonder who will win...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #814
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I haven't driven the current version Volt, but wasn't too impressed with the first version.

That said, when I get home from Germany I plan on test driving the new Volt and the Honda Clarity plug in hybrid (hopefully back to back)

Both remove range anxiety
Old 10-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #815
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
But yeah, for the most part I think the model 3 is still compelling. Unlike with bmw, however, I wouldn’t feel as compelled to get the top model because the lesser ones are still good. Witty bmw, you are essentially paying more money to “fix” the issues as you move up
-320-> 330 gives you acceptable performance
-330->340 gives you a refined engine
-340->m3 gives you decent steering and suspension.
When I read this it made sense.... and yet I thought to myself... "Hmmmm, I seem to have done the exact opposite in both cases." (Slow E46, Fast Model 3). I was thinking about it today and realized why.

With the BMW, in order to get the power you also need to take a number of other things - a stiffer ride, stupid aggressive wheels/tires, a louder exhaust, a race inspired engine that "loves to rev" (translation: you need to rev the shit out of it to get the claimed power), and a boy-racer styling.

I'm finally realizing that for me these all fall into clyde's "want to want" category, not "actually want".

With the Tesla I can have the power without any compromises. I get a normal sedan (well, by some definition normal) that doesn't sacrifice any of the characteristics I actually want in a daily driver - it's comfortable, quiet, efficient, doesn't look boy-racer, and is excellent to commute to NYC with it's regen-braking and 1-pedal driving. But if I'm feeling frisky I can also accelerate 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It's stupid fast without the down sides of a sports car.

I left the test drive thinking, "I want to want a sports car, but I actually want one of these."
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #816
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The wiper speed control is on the touch screen, right?

Look, I like touch screens. The Model S is fine. But there is a reason we have controls on steering wheel stalks. It's because it makes sense to do that.

It seems like a great car for $45,000. But I can't get one for that, nor do I have $45,000 to spend on a car, so I'll just move along...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #817
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
When I read this it made sense.... and yet I thought to myself... "Hmmmm, I seem to have done the exact opposite in both cases." (Slow E46, Fast Model 3). I was thinking about it today and realized why.

With the BMW, in order to get the power you also need to take a number of other things - a stiffer ride, stupid aggressive wheels/tires, a louder exhaust, a race inspired engine that "loves to rev" (translation: you need to rev the shit out of it to get the claimed power), and a boy-racer styling.

I'm finally realizing that for me these all fall into clyde's "want to want" category, not "actually want".

With the Tesla I can have the power without any compromises. I get a normal sedan (well, by some definition normal) that doesn't sacrifice any of the characteristics I actually want in a daily driver - it's comfortable, quiet, efficient, doesn't look boy-racer, and is excellent to commute to NYC with it's regen-braking and 1-pedal driving. But if I'm feeling frisky I can also accelerate 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It's stupid fast without the down sides of a sports car.

I left the test drive thinking, "I want to want a sports car, but I actually want one of these."

Makes sense. I’d point out that in the e46 days you didn’t need to pay extra for a refined engine or decent steering / suspension. Good point on the performance model 3 being a sleeper.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #818
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

The turbo six in the 2 solves this. The power is everywhere, without wringing it out.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #819
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The wiper speed control is on the touch screen, right?

Look, I like touch screens. The Model S is fine. But there is a reason we have controls on steering wheel stalks. It's because it makes sense to do that.

It seems like a great car for $45,000. But I can't get one for that, nor do I have $45,000 to spend on a car, so I'll just move along...
Yes, the wiper speed control is on the screen. But it has an auto mode that works well -- I only drove the 3 in the rain one day, but the wipers just worked (didn't even turn them on). There's also a button on the end of the stalk to manually get a wipe, or hold in for washer spray and a few wipes… While the S had wiper speed controls on the stalk, I honestly never moved them out of auto mode

The $35k base short range 3 will be avail next year...
Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #820
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The turbo six in the 2 solves this. The power is everywhere, without wringing it out.
The 2 is the only current model BMW that seems to carry any kind of DNA from the old days.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote