Old 06-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
dan
redefined

terrible idea
Old 06-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Sounds like something the French would do. Not that it is necessarily bad, but I dont see it having a major impact. The last time I went to Europe SUV's were not prevalent at all. Since there are only about 5% of drivers who own an SUV in Paris it probably would not make much of a difference.
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck
Sounds like something the French would do. Not that it is necessarily bad, but I dont see it having a major impact. The last time I went to Europe SUV's were not prevalent at all. Since there are only about 5% of drivers who own an SUV in Paris it probably would not make much of a difference.
I agree. There simply aren't enough SUV's to warrant such a move. If SUV numbers start climbing, then maybe something ought to be done if they are worried about it so much.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Typical ...

Oh so typical.....

That has to be the biggest bunch of crap I've read in a while.

Freedom Fries, anyone?

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
they don't really have to do that since their fuel costs are 2x to 2.5x per gallon what the price is in the US.

it's funny that they would do that.

LOL.

NYC is already starting to charge more for parking of SUVs as they take up more space in garages. now, that makes more sense to me. there is no moral issue there. it's just money and economics.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
NYC is already starting to charge more for parking of SUVs as they take up more space in garages. now, that makes more sense to me. there is no moral issue there. it's just money and economics.
Many garages in NYC also charge more for "exotic" cars like BMWs, MBs, Lexii, etc. :roll:
Old 06-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Many garages in NYC also charge more for "exotic" cars like BMWs, MBs, Lexii, etc. :roll:
it's a business after all.

it makes me laugh, is the thing. if i owned garages there (like i intend to do someday --> retirement fun), i'd have done that scaled pricing about 10 years ago. i've never taken a nice car to The City, so i haven't run into that with regard to exotic cars. but i'm curious to see how different the pricing is for SUVs.

europe is so different from the US in that people there don't feel entitled to own a house or even a car. so, that legislation isn't so far off the deep end as it is for the US.

as long as SUVs are exempt from gas guzzler tax and are writeoffs when they exceed certain gross vehicular weights, i just laugh as the extra costs of taxes, fees and fuel piles up. as well as not conforming to crash standards.

just as none of us are entitled to own BMWs or sports cars, no american is entitled to own an SUV. it's all caveat emptor. it's just finally coming around, in a shaky economy, to hitting the big fat bullseye that is the mass of lemmings in the SUVs.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
europe is so different from the US in that people there don't feel entitled to own a house or even a car. so, that legislation isn't so far off the deep end as it is for the US.
They also don't feel entitled to drive, which may be why the standards for a license are higher.

Quote:
as long as SUVs are exempt from gas guzzler tax and are writeoffs when they exceed certain gross vehicular weights, i just laugh as the extra costs of taxes, fees and fuel piles up. as well as not conforming to crash standards.

just as none of us are entitled to own BMWs or sports cars, no american is entitled to own an SUV. it's all caveat emptor. it's just finally coming around, in a shaky economy, to hitting the big fat bullseye that is the mass of lemmings in the SUVs.
What he said.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
To add to what others have said, given how roads in Europe are, I would not WANT to drive an SUV. It was VERY difficult getting through in some roads on the 330i and A4 I drove there.

If I lived in Europe I'd drive a Mini/Elise/1-series/Golf-type vehicle. And maybe I'd have an older E-wagon diesel to take the family on trips/carry stuff.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote