carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 12-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Low Coolant

My coolant light came on the other day and when I checked the level it was very low. The normally (un)friendly local dealer had no problem topping it off for me which was a nice suprise, but I have been starting to wonder what would make a car need coolant after only 9,500 miles. Is this fairly normal? Even the tech expressed a bit of shock at how much coolant it needed.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Re: Low Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
My coolant light came on the other day and when I checked the level it was very low. The normally (un)friendly local dealer had no problem topping it off for me which was a nice suprise, but I have been starting to wonder what would make a car need coolant after only 9,500 miles. Is this fairly normal? Even the tech expressed a bit of shock at how much coolant it needed.
That is odd. My old Benz, with 175K miles and an original radiator needs about a quart of coolant every 6 months with no signs fo a leak. But a new car... that's weird.

The tech "expressed schock" but didn't look around for a leak or a loose hose?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Had the same issue with my 00 323. Nothing ever came of it, as far as I could tell. The old M3 did the same thing, too, though it had many more miles.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
The tech "expressed schock" but didn't look around for a leak or a loose hose?
Maybe "shock" was a bit strong of a word, but he definitely let out a "huh" as he kept pouring coolant in. I only expected it to need a splash of fluid but it took four or five, maybe half a quart in all. There is no leak as far as I can tell (I keep the engine very clean, and always park in the same place at home and work so it should be fairly obvious) and I have never smelled coolant burning.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
The e46 had the light come on, I had the dealer top it off, the light never came on again and the level (that i was now watching carefully) never really changed.

The light came on when it got really cold. I have had other friends have the same problem. I think maybe they just don't put enough coolant in at the factory. Either that or there is something that eats coolant until some sort of break in period occurs.

My colleague with the five series just had his light start coming on - and his car is 2 years old. No diagnosis yet.

The e36 had a leak in the water pump. The coolant hit the belt (and ruined it) and was apparently so finely splattered that I never smelled burning coolant or saw any on the garage floor. I have an epoxy floor, so it's easy to see. The first time I complained about it, the dealer did a pressure test and didn't find anything. The second time, the replaced the water pump.

I would just wait to see if it goes down again. If it does, have the dealer or your mechanic find the problem.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:26 AM   #6
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
I think maybe they just don't put enough coolant in at the factory. Either that or there is something that eats coolant until some sort of break in period occurs.
I would expect / hope that this is one of the things they check, either at the VPC or at the dealership before they deliver the car to the customer.

I found my coolant somewhat low the first time I checked it, and since then I've found it slightly low once (perhaps 5000 miles later).
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:47 AM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
I think maybe they just don't put enough coolant in at the factory. Either that or there is something that eats coolant until some sort of break in period occurs.
I found my coolant somewhat low the first time I checked it, and since then I've found it slightly low once (perhaps 5000 miles later).
I never even thought to check it after the break-in period, but it looks like I probably should have. I guess all that can be done at this point is to keep an eye on it and hope nothing comes of it. And if something is terribly wrong hopefully it can wait until the M2 is available
Old 12-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
Masskrug
Jaded

I have had both the 2.5 L M52TU and M54 engines in ownership and both cars "ate" coolant, requring top up every 1-2 years.

Both cars had been checked by two different dealers in two different states, and both dealers told me everything was 'fine'.

I wish I could give you more insight than just my past experience.
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
The HACK
Crotchety

Dunno if this helps...

Both of my Ci's use to ate coolant like crazy. Fill up every other month with a small bottle of distilled water (about the size of a small drinking water, which is what I used to hold the water). I don't know where the leak is coming from and can't seem to see any trace of a leak.

After I changed the coolant about 6 months ago, neither car used up a single drop of coolant. Weird.

• SEMA 2004 • Leadership Matrix has been passed, Ricemus Prime Lives!!!
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote