carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #271
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Someone whom I trust would know this kind of information posted on another message board that the GT4RS 2022 allocation is already sold out.
Not surprised.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #272
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Someone whom I trust would know this kind of information posted on another message board that the GT4RS 2022 allocation is already sold out.
LOL, whatever. The GT4RS and the Porsche market in general are completely nuts. None of those cars are ever going to get driven; in 20 years finding one with more than 10000 miles on it is going to be "high mileage."

It's hard for me to imagine a car I have less interest in than the GT4 RS, and that isn't *just* because it's PDK only.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #273
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
...and that isn't *just* because it's PDK only.
Didn't realize that. Then again, RS cars being PDK-only is quite reasonable.

RS cars are super cool, but they are (very) rich people's track toys, so I am not interested.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #274
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

RS cars are super cool, but they are (very) rich people's track toys, so I am not interested.
I think the number of people who will actually use this on the track is in the...low double digits? It will sit in places like Farah's warehouse out in CA waiting to be sold on whatever the equivalent of BaT is in 2050.

Maybe I'm just feeling cranky today, but I actually don't find the RS cars that interesting. They exist in a weird liminal space that doesn't make a whole lot of sense--they are, at bottom, track toys, but if you're playing at that level an actual race car is probably a better choice (and likely not any more expensive). The GT3/GT4 still can plausibly be used on the street and taken to the track on the weekend (or at least they could until the stupid run-up in Porsche values), but the RS cars are going to be trailered, probably in an enclosed transporter to a PCA track day where the owner has rented Patrick Long for the weekend to come give him driving tips.

This is a glass house thing for me to say, but the RS cars are an extremely attractive argument for eliminating the carried interest deduction.

Anyway, I'm sure it's fast in theory, but like I said above, it won't move any quicker in its garage bubble than the GT4 does.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #275
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

I mean. I’m not going to judge. Porsche has figured out Ferrari’s business model, it seems. But they’re more diversified.

It is, however, more and more clear that the 4.0 litre engines are the last gasp for the 718 platform.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #276
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I mean. I’m not going to judge. Porsche has figured out Ferrari’s business model, it seems. But they’re more diversified.

It is, however, more and more clear that the 4.0 litre engines are the last gasp for the 718 platform.
Yeah, that's my objection. I've always hated Ferrari's business model. And Ferraris, generally.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #277
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Yup.

Considering there are so many cars out there that are already comically fast in the real world, these cars are selling the idea of fast and cool more so than the reality.

To JST's point, just get a real race car.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #278
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, that's my objection. I've always hated Ferrari's business model. And Ferraris, generally.
Yeah I am with you on this one, I really do not like the way the dealers have gone about selling a new Ferrari to someone only to have them return it after 3-6 months so they can sell it above MSRP to another customer. I have a friend who does this, he always has a new Ferrari and another on order because he is basically a 'good boy' for the dealer. It costs him very little to do it and he seems way richer then he is because he gets 2-3 Ferrari's a year ... basically he pays MSRP and gets MSRP back when he returns the car a few months later.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #279
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yeah I am with you on this one, I really do not like the way the dealers have gone about selling a new Ferrari to someone only to have them return it after 3-6 months so they can sell it above MSRP to another customer. I have a friend who does this, he always has a new Ferrari and another on order because he is basically a 'good boy' for the dealer. It costs him very little to do it and he seems way richer then he is because he gets 2-3 Ferrari's a year ... basically he pays MSRP and gets MSRP back when he returns the car a few months later.
It's basically a Ponzi scheme! He just better hope he's not holding a Ferrari when the bottom of the market drops out.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #280
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
There's a blue one coming to a local dealer here. Can't tell what's on it:

https://www.hennessyporsche.com/new/...aeef95b070.htm

Note: This is our original topic of conversation. LOL...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote