carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #91
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Counterpoint: The Gt3 Touring is maybe something I should mortgage my entire life for?
do it
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #92
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
You're always welcome to come drive mine

Though they are great cars, obviously they're not everyone's cup of tea.
Thanks for the offer. After this discussion, I swapped with my buddy for the night and took his 987.2 home. Compared to my 1er, it lacks an 'eagerness' to me. I think it is mostly the difference in torque. To me the car's handling 'abilities' also negatively impact my idea of fun. I like to feel a little lean around a corner and a little skittishness pulling away without going speeds that put myself or others in danger. I'd describe my 1er as more scooty and quick even when its not, whereas the boxster is more mature and feels slow going fast. You sit so low in it that even when it leans a little it is less perceptible.

My last 5 engines have been an s52, an S62, an N55, N54 and N55. All of them were considered flat, torquey(ish) engines. I'm used to pulling away in 2nd gear and being able to jump out into traffic in almost any gear. I stalled the boxster twice when starting out so far. It really likes to be revved and even then doesn't get moving all that quickly.

Its a good looking car and fits in my garage well, so there is definitely that. I'll give the 981s a good shake when time comes. I might even like the turbo 718 engines better based on my recent engine history.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #93
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I might even like the turbo 718 engines better based on my recent engine history.
This was certainly true of my wife who tried a flat 6 used Boxster and then the 718 and 718s Boxsters. Coming from the turbo V8 X5, she had no patience for no low-end torque.

Last edited by wdc330i; 11-01-2018 at 10:32 PM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #94
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I really don't care whether folks like or do not like the boxster, it's not like the Nov 6th election where the results affect me. The non-S and the S have a major difference. Torque. Most noticeably in lower gears. It does liven up the chassis.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:06 AM   #95
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. After this discussion, I swapped with my buddy for the night and took his 987.2 home. Compared to my 1er, it lacks an 'eagerness' to me. I think it is mostly the difference in torque. To me the car's handling 'abilities' also negatively impact my idea of fun. I like to feel a little lean around a corner and a little skittishness pulling away without going speeds that put myself or others in danger. I'd describe my 1er as more scooty and quick even when its not, whereas the boxster is more mature and feels slow going fast. You sit so low in it that even when it leans a little it is less perceptible.

My last 5 engines have been an s52, an S62, an N55, N54 and N55. All of them were considered flat, torquey(ish) engines. I'm used to pulling away in 2nd gear and being able to jump out into traffic in almost any gear. I stalled the boxster twice when starting out so far. It really likes to be revved and even then doesn't get moving all that quickly.

Its a good looking car and fits in my garage well, so there is definitely that. I'll give the 981s a good shake when time comes. I might even like the turbo 718 engines better based on my recent engine history.

Josh I think it comes down to whatever you get used to, I have found with many of the loaner cars some of them I like but am not crazy about for the first day, then by day two or three I really like them. I currently have a 330i loaner, I wasn’t crazy about it especially after dropping off my sons 340i but by the end of the day it started growing on me.

When I first test drove the new 5 series I thought it was nice but felt too big compared to my A6, by test drive number 3 I felt the 5 er was way ahead of my A6 and when I got back into my A6 it felt like it was last gen feel and technology.

If you kept the boxster for another day or two it might grow on you.

Last edited by Alan; 11-02-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #96
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Josh I think it comes down to whatever you get used to, I have found with many of the loaner cars some of them I like but am not crazy about for the first day, then by day two or three I really like them. I currently have a 330i loaner, I wasn’t crazy about it especially after dropping off my sons 340i but by the end of the day it started growing on me.

When I first test drove the new 5 series I thought it was nice but felt too big compared to my A6, by test drive number 3 I felt the 5 er was way ahead of my A6 and when I got back into my A6 it felt like it was last gen feel and technology.

I completely agree with that statement. For me coming from the instant response of the S62 would also require a mindset change.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #97
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

I've put about 100 miles on it so far. It has grown on me, but the flaws I perceived from the beginning are still there. My wife spent some time in it last night and had the same opinion as me. It does feel much more natural now, it will be interesting tonight when I get back in my 1er if it feels bloated and out of control.

I think I need to try out a 981S and 718S and see how much the increase power helps the package. I also need to get my head around the fact that cars are evolving. You can't find a small 4 seat, sporty, communicative rwd, manual convertible anymore (ie: e36/46 m3, 135). Heck, you can't find a manual in just about anything including sports cars. The 981 is probably the best thing that will be available in a year or so. I look at everything from the new z4 to an AMG GT and say no stick no sale.

I'm guess I'm finally embracing true carmudgeon status and yearning for the 'good ole days'
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 11-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #98
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
I've put about 100 miles on it so far. It has grown on me, but the flaws I perceived from the beginning are still there. My wife spent some time in it last night and had the same opinion as me. It does feel much more natural now, it will be interesting tonight when I get back in my 1er if it feels bloated and out of control.

I think I need to try out a 981S and 718S and see how much the increase power helps the package. I also need to get my head around the fact that cars are evolving. You can't find a small 4 seat, sporty, communicative rwd, manual convertible anymore (ie: e36/46 m3, 135). Heck, you can't find a manual in just about anything including sports cars. The 981 is probably the best thing that will be available in a year or so. I look at everything from the new z4 to an AMG GT and say no stick no sale.

I'm guess I'm finally embracing true carmudgeon status and yearning for the 'good ole days'
Not even the rare bird M240i manual vert? I imagine in a few years they will be worth a big premium as the manuals die.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #99
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Not even the rare bird M240i manual vert? I imagine in a few years they will be worth a big premium as the manuals die.
I've not driven a manual, but the 2ers I've tried didn't have anywhere near the visceral fun of my 1er. Not saying its a bad car, just that it doesn't hold a candle IMO to the older BMWs.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 11-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #100
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
After this discussion, I swapped with my buddy for the night and took his 987.2 home. Compared to my 1er, it lacks an 'eagerness' to me. I think it is mostly the difference in torque. To me the car's handling 'abilities' also negatively impact my idea of fun. I like to feel a little lean around a corner and a little skittishness pulling away without going speeds that put myself or others in danger.
I can definitely relate to that.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote