carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Current diesels

Ventured over a benz forum for the first time in about a year and I was very surpised with real-wrold estimates for fuel economy on the GL320 CDI. People are reporting low-mid 20's for fuel economy on the big SUV (though it is light for its size dspite truly being able to sit 7 comfortably). 400lb-ft still move it along nicely. The range consistently seems to hit 600 miles. The ML fares even better pushing 30mpg HWY.

I also read that MB's Bluetec has already been approved for all 50 states starting next year. If so, I'm sure BMW and others are right behind and we could start seeing some really neat offerings very soon.

That is so damn cool. I really hope by the time we replace the V70R we'll have a bunch of diesel options on wagons and SUV's. Diesel Minis would make great commuter cars too.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
it's a good thing to finally have low sulfur diesel in the US to support these global diesel engines for passenger vehicles.

i'm more likely to buy a GM product, of course, but their new 4.7L diesel looks great. i might even get a Tahoe hybrid. if they have a hybrid diesel, that's even cooler.

right now, though, i drive the wheels off of my daily driver and am still getting 34mpg in mixed use driving.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
right now, though, i drive the wheels off of my daily driver and am still getting 34mpg in mixed use driving.
When did I miss this? What's the daily driver? You sure aren't getting 34 mpg in the V. Unless your daily drive is all down hill.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
there are alot of interesting diesels coming to the market in the next few years. BMW will be bringing a few models over, from what I can tell it will be a X5 and a 5-series (but recent rumors say a 3-series). Not sure what engine they'd be bringing, but their 6 cylinder diesel engines are very powerful and still turn out strong fuel economy.

another big improvement will be the availability of diesel engines for 1/2 ton domestic trucks. up until now, you've had to go for a "heavy duty" 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck to get a diesel, but being able to get it in a 150/1500 version will be very good.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
BMW will be bringing a few models over, from what I can tell it will be a X5 and a 5-series (but recent rumors say a 3-series). Not sure what engine they'd be bringing, but their 6 cylinder diesel engines are very powerful and still turn out strong fuel economy.
A diesel 3er would virtually guarantee I stick with a BMW when the 330i lease is up. How soon before it would be on market?

Last edited by Optimus Prime; 08-26-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
A diesel 3er would virtually guarentee I stick with a BMW when the 330i lease is up. How soon before it would be on market?
I'm hearing 2008 (MY09).

I believe that they have already decided on X5 but are not 100% sure on if we will get a 3er or 5er (or both).
Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I'm hearing 2008 (MY09).

I believe that they have already decided on X5 but are not 100% sure on if we will get a 3er or 5er (or both).
diesel in the X5 could be my wife's next car gas engines dont have any interest for me.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote