carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #51
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Titling and registration info are usually automatically pulled based on VIN. Did Porsche use the same model code for the Boxster and Cayman in the VIN?

In MD, you can do it yourself with the MVA (MD's DMV) if you have all the right paperwork. The F&I guy at the dealer refused to give me the manufacturer's certificate of origin, which is one of the required documents. He told me he felt there was enough risk to his dealership and their franchise in giving me that document he would let me walk and give me a check for the gas I used to get there and what it would take to get home.

It's kind of believable, but I have no idea if that's true or not, but I put my faith in the system because it didn't feel like I had much other choice. One of the things that made me question was that he said the car had to first be issued an OH title which would then be transferred to MD and that the third party would take care of all that.

Until it's all done, I'm leery. (con't)

One of my fears revolves around my tags being properly transferred. I'm also a little concerned about an insurance hassle with MVA despite maintaining continuous coverage (from old car to new car) since I haven't surrendered my tags. Until I have title and correct registration in hand, I'm leery.

How does one wind up with an invalid tag and registration?
Fuck if I know how. All I know is that I never got a renewal notice, and had a rather awkward conversation with a cop who pulled me over for no front plate. And the tags were not recorded in the system when I went to the MVA to try to sort it out.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #52
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
When I bought the vette I paid $10 for a Delaware temp tag and took care of registration in MD myself when I got home. Is this easier for used cars?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #53
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Same thing with the Cayman. I drove home with a paper tag, went to the DMV and got plates.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #54
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
When I bought the vette I paid $10 for a Delaware temp tag and took care of registration in MD myself when I got home. Is this easier for used cars?
I love this method, but I haven't been able to make it happen on dealer purchases.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #55
clyde
Chief title editor

With a new car, there's no title, only the manufacturer's certificate of origin. If the dealer gives that to the customer, the customer can easily export the vehicle which would create a huge problem for the dealer. If the dealer is providing financing and give the cert to the customer, they can't ensure the lien is recorded. And other assorted potential issues.

It's simpler with a used car because it's already been titled. Easier still if the title is clear.

Many states make it easy for dealers in neighboring states (sometimes, just in neighboring counties) to handle title/registration, but not always. And where those relationships don't exist, the dealers use third parties.

I'm still baffled by Nick's deal, though.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #56
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
With a new car, there's no title, only the manufacturer's certificate of origin. If the dealer gives that to the customer, the customer can easily export the vehicle which would create a huge problem for the dealer. If the dealer is providing financing and give the cert to the customer, they can't ensure the lien is recorded. And other assorted potential issues.
Yeah, Certificate of Origin makes it so much easier for the manufacture to truck new car/trucks around the country on haulers.

We bought our current RV just across the state line in GA. I forgot about our Certificate nightmare. Our 2017 RV is built on a 2016 Ford chassis, and SC fucked up when titling. (2 certificated needed to be merged to 1 title) It was fixed VERY quickly when I suggested that I should only have to pay personal property tax on a 2016 van instead of a 2017 RV
Old 03-01-2018, 05:02 AM   #57
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Hey Clyde.

How is the car, now that you’ve had it for a week or so?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #58
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Hey Clyde.

How is the car, now that you’ve had it for a week or so?
Needs more storage, but that's fixable (jump to 2:07 if it doesn't start there)

But, really...

I've put about 200 miles on it since I got home. That gives it a total of about 670, so it's approaching halfway on break in. I meant to do an oil change last weekend, but didn't get to it. Hoping to do one this weekend. It drives nice and is comfy without feeling overly soft. I can feel that it has a little power to it, but I still haven't gotten on it.

I am not feeling claustrophobic in it and growing more comfortable with the driver side blind spot. The car is a little bigger than the Focus and has worse visibility out, but in some cases (not most, but some), it's easier to place than the Focus.

I had a not-quite-a-near-miss backing out of a parking spot as my eyes were moving between inside mirror, outside mirrors, over the shoulders and backup camera-view, but I think that was more due to figuring out where I need to look and when rather than something inherently bad about the car.

The stereo sucks. I mean, it's really bad. When sitting in a front seat. Sitting in the back—which, by the way, I've found I fit in the back seat behind the driver with driver seat set leg and hip wise, but height wise only if my body tilts towards center a bit and my head tilted over a lot—the stereo sounds fine for a cheap car. In the front seat, I think the problem is it sends too much volume to a speaker in the middle of the dash. Shifting the fader back a bit, helps in some ways, but worsens in other ways. I'm a little surprised how much this is bothering me.

I have a growing list of likes and dislikes, but I don't feel right talking too much about it until I've had a chance to at least exercise it a bit. I haven't fallen in love with it for it's staid commuting abilities, nor am I finding it unlivable. Many of the dislikes are comfort/convenience things that are addressed in higher spec trims.

Sorry I don't have more to say right now. And, AF, sorry still no pics. They'll come, though, eventually.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #59
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Needs more storage, but that's fixable (jump to 2:07 if it doesn't start there)

Other than the hood, I like that. (But I am also a fan of the El Camino, so . . .)

You have a "stock" radio, correct? no Bose or anything extra from Chevy?

I am happy with the stock sounds in my GMC, but I do have more interior space. Maybe mine is a case of "it doesn't suck nearly as much as I assumed it would"

My biggest gripe with the system is that I usually just listen to my own music via USB sticks (3 USB inputs in my truck) When I select "random" on a drive, it sorts and plays my music in an alphabetical order. To me, this is not random.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #60
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
You have a "stock" radio, correct? no Bose or anything extra from Chevy?
I just did some more research to respond to this more accurately and kinda surprised by what I found.

The base system is 6 speakers and non-Bose. With the Technology Package, it gets 9 speakers and Bose. This I knew.

The higher spec cars (2LT, 1SS, 2SS), I thought got stereo upgrades beyond the system in my car and it was supposed to be noticeably better than what I have. I was wrong. They get what I have. People generally seem happy with it, but a few complain about it for the same "sounds like it's all coming from the front center" reasons I don't like it.

I should go check out some cars at a dealer and try to figure out if my car has a problem.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?