Great! Congrats!
Sweet!

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #32
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I don't think you'll find the 3.6L lacking. I only had mine up to 11k miles but it was a perfect engine with great gearing.
I wanted the 3.8, still do… if one arises that happens to check all the boxes and it is not outrageously priced I will pursue it. In the event that I acquire an ‘S’ I would flip this car. Of course there is the flipside to that, where the 3.6 scratches the itch and I hold onto it for a few years and possibly pursue something else.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #33
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I wanted the 3.8, still do… if one arises that happens to check all the boxes and it is not outrageously priced I will pursue it. In the event that I acquire an ‘S’ I would flip this car. Of course there is the flipside to that, where the 3.6 scratches the itch and I hold onto it for a few years and possibly pursue something else.
Agree with equ that the 3.6L if it’s that engine I remember is a great power plant in the dot 2 models.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #34
SCA
Jaded

I totally failed to mention that the C2 will be my first German auto that is not a BMW.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #35
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I totally failed to mention that the C2 will be my first German auto that is not a BMW.
Nice. YOLO!

Is anything leaving the fleet?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #36
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Nice. YOLO!

Is anything leaving the fleet?
Exactly… now at 50 years of age and having witnessed several individuals that I know pass away over the last six plus months and at younger ages has made me become fearful that I might not never experience 911 ownership (edit) if I did not act now, especially given that 997.2 prices are becoming absurd and the trend is likely to continue with it making it highly unreasonable that I would purchase one.

Not as of yet. The 15k mile E90 330i sport, six speed needs to go though.

Last edited by SCA; 10-13-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:25 PM   #37
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Exactly… now at 50 years of age and having witnessed several individuals that I know pass away over the last six plus months and at younger ages has made me become fearful that I might not never experience 911 ownership (edit) if I did not act now, especially given that 997.2 prices are becoming absurd and the trend is likely to continue with it making it highly unreasonable that I would purchase one.

Not as of yet. The 15k mile E90 330i sport, six speed needs to go though.
Hmmm. Definitely post the E90 here first...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #38
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
This is an interesting train of thought to me. Similar age. Similar mortality reminders. Similar car interests. And yet...

A big part of why I wound up buying the Camaro was the realization that if I didn't do it then, I probably wouldn't ever (because next daily driver will almost certainly be an EV, the calculus changed a bit, but similar concept).

OTOH, when I was still a relatively new driver, a used 911SC with a questionable history would have been a stretch for my budget, but not impossible. I drove a few and really liked them (even the ones that were WAY fucked up). I also knew if I bought one, I'd probably kill myself in it because they were still cars that would bite you if you didn't know what you were doing. That's what stopped me. I told myself that I'd buy one when I was mature and skilled enough.

By the time I reached that point, 911s didn't work for me in one way or another. By the time they could, new ones were too expensive, not-quite-as-new-but-affordable ones weren't as interesting to me and I was scared off older ones by ongoing maintenance concerns. Since then, they've all gotten way too expensive relative to the interest they generate for me to the point that I think the last time I got excited about the idea of a 911 was trying to talk JV into a GT3 circa 2007.

I get why people like them and are willing to spend so much money on them, and I think it's kinda strange that they just don't do anything for me.

But the way SCA phrased that passage above...it resonated.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #39
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
they just don't do anything for me.
samesies
Old 10-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #40
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I really wanted a 911 until I drove one.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote