carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM   #5921
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I have got that little piece that runs from the back of the rear wheel well to underneath the rear bumper cover as well. Nice little bonus. They did the door cups as well, which I had forgotten to request.

I was driving mostly on two lane backroads and I intentionally backed off on my following vehicles ahead of me and I still picked up some small rock chips. I have yet to have this thing on any highway/interstate, but that is about to change today.

Porsche UNI paint (non-metallic) is exceptionally soft. Keep in mind Shark Blue is just VW Cornflower Blue (D5C) renamed.

I originally believed that I would keep this car indefinitely, but currently I do not foresee that happening. So $3200 PPF flushed. It should make it easier to sell private party, but adds zero value if I pre-trade at my Porsche dealer.

Pic at pickup.
The car looks sharp.

I guess I’m not surprised if you’re not enthralled with the car fully. Maybe it can happen over time. I keep hoping for that with my GT3. I’m not there yet. Rationally it is a superior car and the engine is notably stronger than the 991 GT3. But the car is lacking a soul, IMO.

Not sure if that’s what you’re experiencing. I’m guessing because comparing to a 997 is a tough ask for a 992.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:25 PM   #5922
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The car looks sharp.

I guess I’m not surprised if you’re not enthralled with the car fully. Maybe it can happen over time. I keep hoping for that with my GT3. I’m not there yet. Rationally it is a superior car and the engine is notably stronger than the 991 GT3. But the car is lacking a soul, IMO.

Not sure if that’s what you’re experiencing. I’m guessing because comparing to a 997 is a tough ask for a 992.

I think you just nailed it, “lacking soul” is exactly what is missing from a 992 in comparison to my 997. I am thrilled that I did not sell/trade the 997 prior to the arrival of the 992. Trust me, my dealer wanted it. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they already had a buyer lined up and while it is not cosmetically perfect on the exterior, the interior and maintenance are.

Jerry Seinfeld has recently stated on Spike’s Car Radio that the multi link suspension changes everything on the GT 992s and he dislikes any 992 without it. Spike followed with he likes all of the 992s as they are all great. Given that you own an 992 GT3 and what you stated above, I have to question Jerry’s sentiments. I will never know for myself as I will never get there.

Edit: I would suspect a manual 997 GTS would be the one, two punch and I could relieve myself of the 997.2 C2 and the 992 T.

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 01:59 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 04:36 PM   #5923
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
I think you just nailed it, “lacking soul” is exactly what is missing from a 992 in comparison to my 997. I am thrilled that I did not sell/trade the 997 prior to the arrival of the 992. Trust me, my dealer wanted it. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they already had a buyer lined up and while it is not cosmetically perfect on the exterior, the interior and maintenance are.

Jerry Seinfeld has recently stated on Spike’s Car Radio that the multi link suspension changes everything on the GT 992s and he dislikes any 992 without it. Spike followed with he likes all of the 992s as they are all great. Given that you own an 992 GT3 and what you stated above, I have to question Jerry’s sentiments. I will never know for myself as I will never get there.

Edit: I would suspect a manual 997 GTS would be the one, two punch and I could relieve myself of the 997.2 C2 and the 992 T.
OMG.

Ya. That’s the OG GTS. If you could land that car, you’d be done.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:12 PM   #5924
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Alan, no sunroof. Slicktop.

I do not want to rock the break-in boat because I know 100% that Porsche can internally see rev ranges on all cars via dealership diagnostics. It is no secret. Edit: They have had the ability to see this info for quite some time, but the amount of information that they can now see is absolutely astounding.
Porsche might be able to read the parameters of your break in but good luck to them for denying a warranty due to not following the recommended break in.

I don’t think I ever read one post on any board regardless of the manufacturer deny a claim because they didn’t follow the break in.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:48 PM   #5925
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
OMG.

Ya. That’s the OG GTS. If you could land that car, you’d be done.

Unfortunately, a manual OG GTS tends to be the needle in the haystack and when you do find one somebody wants a very pretty penny for it.

I added a 150 miles on the T this afternoon. Traveled the Foothills Parkway, The Dragon, went to Tapco Lodge, Fontana Dam, Fontana Dam Visitors Center, The Dragon back towards Maryville, TN, and finally back home. Oddly enough, about 10 miles prior to getting home my right leg and foot began to go numb. Weird as that is a first ever.

My feelings are still the same… I am not so certain that the price of admission for a 992 is worth what one gets in return. I suppose my 997.2 has set the bar fairly high for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9073.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	17129  

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:51 PM   #5926
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Porsche might be able to read the parameters of your break in but good luck to them for denying a warranty due to not following the recommended break in.

I don’t think I ever read one post on any board regardless of the manufacturer deny a claim because they didn’t follow the break in.

Just throwing this out, but I am fairly confident if there was a significant failure due to some dumb ass constantly pinging off the rev limiter prior to completing the break-in Porsche would deny a warranty claim. A manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty claim upon discovering abuse/neglect related to said claim. Read the fine print of any warranty book. There are plenty of disclaimers.

I witnessed BMW NA deny many claims on S54 M3s due to abuse.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:49 PM   #5927
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Just throwing this out, but I am fairly confident if there was a significant failure due to some dumb ass constantly pinging off the rev limiter prior to completing the break-in Porsche would deny a warranty claim. A manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty claim upon discovering abuse/neglect related to said claim. Read the fine print of any warranty book. There are plenty of disclaimers.

I witnessed BMW NA deny many claims on S54 M3s due to abuse.
I might be wrong but I don’t think any of us are the type to drive the sh*t out of our cars like it’s the first sports car we ever owned. I think we are pretty safe from getting a declination on a warranty issue on our cars.

Don’t let the idiots rule you enjoying your new car, we aren’t in the target zone for that happening.

In fact i think I think we are the opposite…. We just care too much but that’s a good thing,
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:08 PM   #5928
SCA
Jaded

I dislike when Shark Blue photographs like this because it is a totally inaccurate representation of what the color really looks like. JST, I would suspect you would agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7448.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	17130  
Old 03-31-2024, 01:41 PM   #5929
JST

lol yes it looks like a lot of different things but it never looks like that in person.

Re: the 992; I haven’t had a chance to srive one yet but the personality of the 718 GTS only really revealed itself after break in. The 992 might be different since it’s still a turbo motor and perhaps doesn’t demand a redline pull to really shine.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if ultimately you decided the T wasn’t a more fun car to drive than the 997.

The 997 GTS would be a real forever car, though I wouldn’t want to deal with center lock wheels. Honestly if I were going to buy a 997, it might be a 997.1 GT3, but those are still silly money.

But if I were you and already had a 997.2, I’d probably do exactly what you seem to be contemplating—keep it and buy a 718 GTS to go with it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:46 PM   #5930
SCA
Jaded

Well this is comforting, it is not just me. Side note, I already followed this individual on YT. https://youtu.be/A09kZaG-3uk?si=CGX4aaKquTXbeRvG