carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-18-2023, 11:10 AM   #5291
JST

That was a long video. Some of his arguments didn’t make much sense to me (especially in the US), like the thing about “Dieselgate meant corporate insisted on dealers not discounting cars.” That’s just not how the market works here.

And I think it’s weird to talk about people discounting Porsches in 2010 without mentioning bigger macroeconomic trends. Like…was there a reason ppl stopped buying Porsches around then?

Anyway, the TL/DR is “there was a bubble and now interest rates make that bubble harder to sustain,” but since we’re still seeing demand outstrip supply on new cars I’d want to see some hard data (more than just autotrader searches) before I conclude the sky is falling.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:54 AM   #5292
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I’m trying to get an allocation for a 992.1 Turbo Cabrio because in a weird way, it might be easier to get than a T or a 718. If you can figure that logic out, please help me figure it out.

Re: colors. I don’t understand what’s going on there. Are they trying to pump up car values so they’re making colors limited availability?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
If you're thinking of a turbo cab, I'm not sure you can do much better than this 991.2 spec
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1371851
Cool car.

Do you want to know what’s scary about the current gen versus that one? This current Turbo, pre-hybridization, gets a lot of what was lacking in my 1.2 Turbo S ownership experience. The sound and damping. Better.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:07 PM   #5293
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That was a long video. Some of his arguments didn’t make much sense to me (especially in the US), like the thing about “Dieselgate meant corporate insisted on dealers not discounting cars.” That’s just not how the market works here.

And I think it’s weird to talk about people discounting Porsches in 2010 without mentioning bigger macroeconomic trends. Like…was there a reason ppl stopped buying Porsches around then?

Anyway, the TL/DR is “there was a bubble and now interest rates make that bubble harder to sustain,” but since we’re still seeing demand outstrip supply on new cars I’d want to see some hard data (more than just autotrader searches) before I conclude the sky is falling.

Doug DeMuro posted a market related video last week. I have yet to finish it as I struggle with watching him, far too much hand movement.

Quote:
The sound and damping. Better.
I have read multiple post on RL from current 992.1 Turbo owners that the sound is fairly disappointing.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #5294
SCA
Jaded

The little vintage 911 model that PCNA sends to soon-to-be new owners recently arrived via the USPS. I will probably never open it… A nice gesture, but I much rather have my actual car.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #5295
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Doug DeMuro posted a market related video last week. I have yet to finish it as I struggle with watching him, far too much hand movement.

I have read multiple post on RL from current 992.1 Turbo owners that the sound is fairly disappointing.
Really?

I love the pure speed of the 991.2 Turbo S. But the sound was lacking for sure. And the power delivery was very laggy. Like the worst of any modern car I have driven in ages. Reminded me of my S70 T5 manual….

But when I drove the new Turbo at PECLA, big differences. I really liked the car. Hence this order.

Maybe it’s all relative. The Turbo is just a bruiser cruiser to me. It’s not a sports car. Do you think RL sets the bar too high?

Old 11-18-2023, 01:46 PM   #5296
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Really?

I love the pure speed of the 991.2 Turbo S. But the sound was lacking for sure. And the power delivery was very laggy. Like the worst of any modern car I have driven in ages. Reminded me of my S70 T5 manual….

But when I drove the new Turbo at PECLA, big differences. I really liked the car. Hence this order.

Maybe it’s all relative. The Turbo is just a bruiser cruiser to me. It’s not a sports car. Do you think RL sets the bar too high?
I had mentioned before how I could see owning a Turbo S in the future. Not anymore.

The F90 I'm considering is already insanely fast, sounds amazing, is pretty darn responsive, has loads of practicality, and it costs less than half. It will do anything I ever could want a Turbo S to do and probably better.

If this impending collapse is true, then maybe a few years down the road I could consider a GT3. But that is a silly dream. I'm pretty freakin' happy with my 718 4.0. That paired with the F90 is pretty hard to beat.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #5297
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The F90 I ma considering is already insanely fast, sounds amazing, is pretty darn responsive, has loads of practicality, and it costs less than half. It will do anything I ever could want a Turbo S to do and probably better.

Agree 100%. Aren’t you glad that I mentioned considering the F90 over the M550?
Old 11-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #5298
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I had mentioned before how I could see owning a Turbo S in the future. Not anymore.

The F90 I ma considering is already insanely fast, sounds amazing, is pretty darn responsive, has loads of practicality, and it costs less than half. It will do anything I ever could want a Turbo S to do and probably better.

If this impending collapse is true, then maybe a few years down the road I could consider a GT3. But that is a silly dream. I pretty freakin' happy with my 718 4.0. That paired with the F90 is pretty hard to beat.
Good perspective.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #5299
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Agree 100%. Aren’t you glad that I mentioned considering the F90 over the M550?
You are a bad influence.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:55 PM   #5300
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Good perspective.
Well, having a Boxster AND a GT3, the role a Turbo S fills can frankly be filled with any number of other fast GT cars with even more character and not triple down into a contemporary Porsche.

In that situation, money-permitting, I'd be more open to an AM for example.