carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
TD
The Waffle King
 
TD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,821
Um, JST, this might be a problem...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182384

I hope this isn't the '01 330i scenario all over again.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy
 
bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,031
Sounds like typical (non M) BMW
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
John V
I only like old BMWs.
 
John V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 987S, Ram, MS3, 330Ci, CX-5, RX-8
Location: Glenwood, MD
Posts: 12,268
Turbo engines typically have soggy throttle response compared to non-turbo cars. It is mostly because of the huge restriction in the exhaust system called the turbine. Not really any way to work around it.

That said, every throttle by wire BMW I've driven had very lazy throttle response compared to my cable-throttle E36 M3. Maybe when you combine the two contributors, bad things happen.

Presumably Josh test drove the 335 and doesn't have an issue with it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
TD
The Waffle King
 
TD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,821
With my '01 330i, it was something that became more apparent over time. Even if I had test-driven that car before signing the papers (I got one of the first 330s, I had test-driven an '00 328i which still had a partially-mechanical throttle), I doubt I would have really noted the lag.

That said, my '06 330i has virtually no lag, even coming straight from the E36 M3. There is a trace. But nothing like my '01 had.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
IndyMike
Elected by grace
 
IndyMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 08 R32
Location: Brickyard
Posts: 1,669
I'm almost convinced my next new BMW will be either leased or a lightly used CPO.

Just too much uncertainty in all apects of their products to give me the warm and fuzzies.
IndyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
TD
The Waffle King
 
TD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I'm almost convinced my next new BMW will be either leased or a lightly used CPO.

Just too much uncertainty in all apects of their products to give me the warm and fuzzies.
It's the Microsoft syndrome. Rush new technology to the market without fully debugging it and then patch it as problems are discovered.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
That said, my '06 330i has virtually no lag, even coming straight from the E36 M3. There is a trace. But nothing like my '01 had.
My uncle's '07 525i, same deal. Almost no throttle lag. They really improved the DBW on the recent models.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 19,902
I've driven a couple of 335s and didn't notice an issue with the throttle response. In fact, both seemed noticeably better in this regard than my current car. Of course, the E90 330 might have even better response--dunno. We'll have to try them back to back and see.

BTW, I took the clutch stop out of my car the other night. What a difference (and not in a good way). The bizarrely long clutch pedal travel coupled with a short engagement zone really demands an aftermarket clutch stop. I didn't notice this issue with the 335, either.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
TD
The Waffle King
 
TD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I've driven a couple of 335s and didn't notice an issue with the throttle response. In fact, both seemed noticeably better in this regard than my current car. Of course, the E90 330 might have even better response--dunno. We'll have to try them back to back and see.

BTW, I took the clutch stop out of my car the other night. What a difference (and not in a good way). The bizarrely long clutch pedal travel coupled with a short engagement zone really demands an aftermarket clutch stop. I didn't notice this issue with the 335, either.
Re: clutch stop

I still have my UUC stop and when I went to install it in my E90 I realized that there is no stop of any sort in it and, hence, no threaded hole to attach an aftermarket one to.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S/535i/JGC Diesel
Posts: 7,569
Very true. The e46 330i clutch REALLY needs a stop (I used rogue both times I had this car) while the e90 330i clutch doesn't.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC