carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Saturn Astra, Volvo C30, or...

I think I'm finally going to test drive a few cars this weekend. I'm already planning to test out an E46 (although I've already autocrossed a couple), but I thought I might as well see what else is out there.

First of all, I'm keeping the 318i. I won't get anything for it trading/selling it to make it worth the hassle. From everything I've read/heard, it might be cheaper to finance a new car right now than deal with something pre-owned.

I have no set price range per se, but I didn't want a monthly payment over $250-300 if possible. I'd put a decent amount down and have stellar credit.

I'm moving to the city this summer and would love to have a newer car that is fun to drive, good mileage, can still haul the dog (2dr okay with full backseat), would prefer a hatchback, and could autocross on occasion. I also don't want a car that will attract attention because Baltimore is not the safest city in which to have a nice car even with a carport/garage.

I know a Mini Clubman would probably be a great bet, but I just don't really want a Mini (an ex had/has one ). I know that sounds dumb. I don't like the new Mazda3's styling, but I'm sure there are 2008-09 models to test out. I only like the hatch version of those, but I'm not crazy about them. I don't do VW, so the A3/Golf/Rabbit is out. I wish we had a car like the Renault Megane R26.R as an option over here.

So I guess I'm considering:
Saturn Astra XR - probably my favorite styling-wise, seems to be some killer deals, but Saturn's future?
Volvo C30 - a bit pricey, but heavier/same as Mazda3
Ford Fiesta - like the looks actually, might be a bit small
Honda Fit - already test drove and liked it, but didn't love it
Euro-version Ford Focus - love the looks, will this ever make it to the USA?
Chevrolet Cobalt SS - drove one at Rev-it-up and wasn't a fan
Hyundai Accent - meh
Hyundai Genesis coupe - probably out of my price range
Toyota Yaris - NO

Are there any other relevant options along these lines? I guess I'm trying to find a smaller car that can still be fun to drive. Has anyone tried out the Astra or the Volvo?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Buy a previous-model Mazda3 off the lot. I bet you can get a great deal, maybe even on a Mazdaspeed.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
I haven't driven the Volvo C30 but I've sat in one at the dealership and crawled around and in and out of the car. It's pretty cool. The dash layout is pretty much the same as our V50. That is to say, spartan. But I really like that, especially in an era of ever more prodigious numbers of buttons. I think I like it better than the E46. Certainly the controls (mostly knobs) are easier to work than the tiny and confusing buttons on the 330i. The only drawback I can see is the bland instrument cluster. It's functional and I can't really knock it there, but where the center stack has a cool designed spartan look to it, the instrument cluster just looks a bit blah.

This review covers the car pretty well from what I observed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthaboutcars.com
Unlike main competitor MINI’s ADD-inducing asylum, the C30’s interior is covered in an almost stark layer of Scando-simplicity. But it’s a ruse. At first the controls seem only calming and Ikea-fied. In fact, they’re brilliantly thought-out. Take the HVAC/Audio display. It uses a single digital graph to illustrate temp, fan speed and volume levels. While this might seem too-basic, it’s a warm bath compared to the maddening complexity of Audi’s MMI screens. I love the floating waterfall center console. And the handy storage bin behind it. Every surface, texture and design element has a rare “that’s how I would have done it” quality.

It probably doesn't have the most space efficient back seat / fold down cargo area due to the pronounced rear fenders and tucked in greenhouse but I like how it's laid out and would compromise some functionality for the sexy styling of the car. Sitting in the back is actually a cool experience for passengers.

If it rides anything like our V50 it'll have a firm but not punishing ride. . . typical European car like. FWIW, I found our V50 to be more fun to drive than a Mazda6 wagon we also test drove. A more fun ride/handling and peppier 4 cyl. engine vs. the Mazda6's V6. But I digress.

You can get the C30 with the T5 engine (2.5L, 5 cyl turbocharged), I believe, which bumps power out put to 227 hp and 236 lb-ft. Should be good for the mid-6 second range in acceleration to 60 which is comparable to the VW GTI and MINI S.

It's said the handling isn't quite as sharp or crisp as a MINI but that it's very good.

The one thing that I didn't like was the brake/throttle pedal arrangement. It's really messed up for any decent heel/toe downshifting. I'm not sure it would be a deal killer for me but I'd also see if I couldn't re-position the throttle pedal some how. I talked to the dealers (they were asking what I thought of the car) and I mentioned the pedals weren't right. One guys asked what I was talking about where as his partner said "ah, yes, they're not set up for heel-toe shifting". Bingo, said I. Then we both had to explain it to the other fellow. Apparently Volvo put in a different throttle pedal for the U.S. market due to some focus group testing or whatever. So it sounds like maybe you can get a European pedal? But I haven't enquired about this.

Bottom line is I'd put it on your list and take it for a spin.

And just as an FYI, the C30's use the same chassis as the Mazda3.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I'd probably look for a lightly used A3 or A4 Avant. Or take a chance on a VW GTI
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Hmmm. Could you live with an automatic?
http://www.advantagecertified.com/in...entory_id=1608
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I'd probably look for a lightly used A3 or A4 Avant. Or take a chance on a VW GTI
+1.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Impressions

I spent part of Saturday dealership hopping to test out a couple of these cars. I also drove my friend’s E46 323ci and was impressed. It felt like every other E46 I’ve driven, so he made a good choice. I guess these are my impressions starting with the two cars in which I was most interested:

Saturn Astra XR: I love its design and really wanted to love the car overall. I test drove a 3-dr hatch in blue which is a great looking car. I generally liked the handling characteristics, but I was under whelmed. For a “small” car, it felt pretty big and bulky if that makes sense. Apparently, they do make a turbo version in the rest of the world which is what this car needs. My biggest complaints were that it was SLOW (and I drive a 318) and the blind spot in this car is huge. The interior was adequate, but a little weird. With a turbo version and a slightly stiffer suspension, this could be a great car. With all that said, it was the new car I liked the most of the ones I drove. However, I was very turned off at the attitude I got from the salesman when I returned from the test drive and told him I had to test one more thing. I grabbed my helmet and got in the car with my helmet on. I guess he thought I was going on another test drive to the drag strip or on a high speed run. He never did understand that I was just making sure I fit in the car comfortably with my helmet on…

Volvo C30 T5: I tried to go in unbiased without listening to everyone else’s impressions posted on here, but most of your impressions were spot on about this car. I do think it is a great competitor for the Mini, but it falls short. This car has plenty of power to get moving, and the handling was surprisingly very good, but the car seemed a little twitchy. Perhaps it was the steering, but I felt like it was tough to drive this car smoothly. My biggest issue with this car was actually the seat. My father’s Tundra has seats that keep me glued to them more than this car. It desperately needs sportier seats that can hold you in and be comfortable. If the Mazda has better seats, it would definitely interest me. This salesman had no issues with my sitting in the car with my helmet on and understood what I was trying to do.

Toyota Yaris Hatch: The Volvo dealership was shared with a Toyota dealership, so the salesman handed me keys to one of these. Why not? I made it to the first stoplight where I pulled a U-turn and drove straight back to the dealership. I’m sure they’re great for fuel economy, but I was completely uninterested for a whole list of reasons.

Mazda 3: First of all, the dealership was open and I thought I was the only shopper. I went to the local Mazda dealership and mingled near the 3s for at least ten minutes. Despite a salesman smoking a cigarette right outside the showroom, no one came to ask me anything. I went into the showroom to look at the 3 sitting in there, and still just crickets chirping. This is the first time I’d been to a dealership where I had to find a salesman to ask them a question. As he was finishing his cigarette, he said they do not carry any Mazdaspeed cars at that dealership. He did not ask me anything after he answered my question, so I guess this dealership does not need any business?

After several hours of checking out cars, I still hate car shopping more than I remember. It was nice to learn a little about some of these cars, but I’m at the same place I was before the day started. I might be done test driving cars for awhile, but I’d really like to give the Mazdaspeed 3 a shot.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
so I guess this dealership does not need any business?
I wish more of my shopping experiences were like that, actually. I'd like for the sales people to leave me alone until I'm ready. I like to walk the lot and showroom and my leisure, make a mental list of the inventory that I'm interested in, and then ask for the test drive.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=24069
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I wish more of my shopping experiences were like that, actually. I'd like for the sales people to leave me alone until I'm ready. I like to walk the lot and showroom and my leisure, make a mental list of the inventory that I'm interested in, and then ask for the test drive.

Not only that, but I find the VAST majority of salesmen know VERY little about the cars they are selling . . . at least, compared to what I usually know by the time I walk onto the dealership's lot.

An exception was when I was shopping for my Miata back in '03. The salesman really knew his stuff. . . it also helped that he was a big car nut, I'm sure.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote