carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #81
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer, but as a general matter buying "high-end," limited-production vehicles from a mass market manufacturer is pretty hellish. The customer service isn't what it should be, and these guys treat the cars like they're Ming vases.

It's not helped by the VW enthusiast crew, who generally approach the cars the same way. I mean, the Golf is a nice car, but come the fuck on. You won't buy one if someone else has driven it?? I've literally never applied that metric to any of the cars I've purchased. They're cars. People drive them. That's what they are for.
I remember trying to test drive a new Mazdaspeed 6 some years ago. I did talk my way in to the test drive but I did show up in a then relatively current E36 M3/4.

I didn't shop for my Golf R until the discounting had started and I had no problem test driving at that point. I think I tried way earlier in the model run and faced the same wall of resistance. I'm truly surprised they won't let someone test drive a car they've knocked $4K off the sticker of because it's not moving.

It doesn't seem particularly smart.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #82
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
I'm sure it varies from dealer to dealer, but as a general matter buying "high-end," limited-production vehicles from a mass market manufacturer is pretty hellish. The customer service isn't what it should be, and these guys treat the cars like they're Ming vases.
Reminds me of trying to look at an STI when they first came out. The dealer literally had it up on a platform surrounded by velvet ropes.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #83
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Reminds me of trying to look at an STI when they first came out. The dealer literally had it up on a platform surrounded by velvet ropes.
Ha.

This dealer is on my shit list too because the last time I had my car (which I am supposed to be very "particular" about, I guess) in for an oil change:

1. They put a ding in the door
2. They sent it out for repainting, which took 2 weeks
3. They didn't do the state inspection that I asked them to do, and
4. A few weeks later I noticed that they got overspray on the wheel when they repainted the door.

Also they don't give loaners. Instead they have a beat to shit Touran that smells like cigarettes and BO, driven by a guy who served in the Great War and won't shut up about it, that shuttles you to the metro.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Wes Greenway's Alexandria VW.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #84
JST

OK, I had to respond with slightly more.

Quote:
Sorry, one other thing. Your reference to “particular” Golf R owners struck me as especially ironic given that the last time my current Golf R was in for service, your shop scratched it, sent it out for a poor quality repaint that took 2 weeks and left overspray on the wheel, and still didn’t do the original work I asked you to do.

I’d been willing to overlook that because I was happy with the purchase experience, and because I figured that it might be worth building a relationship as a repeat customer. But if this is the kind of after-sales support your store gives to the enthusiast VW community, it’s certainly not worth returning either for service or sales—or recommending you to other owners.

Thanks again for your time.
I do not expect a response.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #85
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:

Yeah, don't hold your breath.

I have to ask: D.C. is not a car dealership desert, and there must be others who would be willing to let you drive one. Is there truly no one else within a reasonable radius from your house?
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #86
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Yeah, don't hold your breath.

I have to ask: D.C. is not a car dealership desert, and there must be others who would be willing to let you drive one. Is there truly no one else within a reasonable radius from your house?
There are a handful of similarly discounted copies out at the Dulles-area VW shop (whatever it's called). But as you surely recall, getting out that far is a pain in the ass.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #87
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
There are a handful of similarly discounted copies out at the Dulles-area VW shop (whatever it's called). But as you surely recall, getting out that far is a pain in the ass.
There are some at Springfield, which is also a shitty dealer that I've had horrible experiences with. I don't know about Stohlman (in Tyson's) and I haven't contacted Lindsey (in Dulles). I might if I have time this weekend, or I might just say fuck this noise and live with what I've got.

If worst comes to worst, and Ford never starts offering A plan on the Focus RS, I'll just buy an ST.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #88
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:

Especially if this was written to anyone other than the sales manager and dealer principle.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #89
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Keep your eyes open for an executive car to test drive?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #90
ff

Order one from Tampa, and I'll test drive it, then drive it up to DC for ya.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote