carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #201
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Just tossing it out there but would you guys buy this over the golf R if it was sold here?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/05/22/bm...rive-1-series/

B58 with 335 hp in this guise.

Btw JST any new thoughts on the new R? I really like that car.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #202
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Just tossing it out there but would you guys buy this over the golf R if it was sold here?

The M140 and my car are basically the same, without the practicality of the four doors and hatch.

If I needed those, I'd consider the Golf. But I'd want a higher-line iteration, so would likely end up with something like the 340xi GT.

Why no RS3 with hatch? Why no RWD 340i GT? Why no six cylinder RWD 3 or 5 wagons anymore? Craziness.

EDIT: Of course Europe gets all of the above...

ANOTHER EDIT: Theo, you should try an M240 coupe. Even a used M235i, which would be a good value.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #203
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:

I would consider it. M2 hatch would be ideal

Edit: I am currently over new "performance cars" though. Number chasing cars that are too numb. Rather get a older performance car or new appliance type car.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #204
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Quote:

Yes, I would own one. It's a shame they were never offered here. I had one as a rental many years ago and thought it was a perfect and modern E36 replacement.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #205
JST

Quote:

I probably would have, yes, though my recollection is that the 1 series hatch is really short on rear seat space and that it's not the practical 5 door that the Golf is. Also, it's ugly as a spud. But 335 hp and RWD are compelling arguments.

On the Golf R:

This car remains a jack-of-all trades that offers a package unlike really anything else on offer right now. It's a worthwhile improvement over the Mark VI in nearly every way. The engine has lots of usable power and much less pronounced lag than before, and now that I am through break-in it moves out with authority. It still doesn't have the seamless torque you'd find with a bigger engine or more cylinders, but it's an impressive engine nonetheless.

Fuel economy is also remarkably good. On a trip to the mountains with speeds averaging 70+ (with occasional 100 mph jaunts) it got just over 30 mpg, which strikes me as pretty good for a car with this capability.

Where the compromises start to become evident are in handling and feel. The steering is quick and accurate but not terribly communicative, and while there is little body roll and clearly quite high limits, the car isn't really "playful."

The clutch is relatively light and easy to modulate, but also maybe not as feelsome as it could be. You can still heel and toe, but not as easily as in the Mark VI--this might be the one area where there hasn't been an improvement. Shifter feel is about the same, in that it's light and accurate but feels like the FWD car that it started as.

Ergonomics are top notch, and the seats are excellent. The wheel and shifter both feel high quality, and the nav/infotainment system is much more intuitive than before. It also has a bigger screen, meaning the maps are now usable.

Mine has a bevy of driver assist systems which are mostly just annoying. It has a shaker built into the steering wheel that goes off when you are changing lanes in a way the car doesn't like, but fortunately that can be disabled.

I do miss having a sunroof.

Overall, it's a great car. As a practical commuter it is hard to fault, and it has enough sporting pretensions to keep you entertained when the road gets twisty. In some ways, it's what BMWs used to be, before they got besotted with luxury pretensions. For the 36K that I paid, it's hard to think of a better choice.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #206
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I completely agree from the POV of our GTI PP. It feels like what BMW's used to be. I can't imagine going to the bmw showroom and finding something sportier unless you are ready to spend 2X. No 4-cyl bmw feels like this fun hot hatch.

And yes, the low output APR is working out great. It's not my primary car, C. likes it much better this way, feels very linear, factory almost. We don't have to keep guessing when the car is going to start spinning the front axle.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #207
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
You know, in wagon form that 140 looked... Not horrible. Maybe I'm getting used to the ungainly 1er we got, but I don't mind that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #208
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
You know, in wagon form that 140 looked... Not horrible. Maybe I'm getting used to the ungainly 1er we got, but I don't mind that.
they refreshed it semi-recently which helped a lot in the looks department, imho
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #209
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
JV sliding to the dark side.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #210
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I probably would have, yes, though my recollection is that the 1 series hatch is really short on rear seat space and that it's not the practical 5 door that the Golf is. Also, it's ugly as a spud. But 335 hp and RWD are compelling arguments.

On the Golf R:

This car remains a jack-of-all trades that offers a package unlike really anything else on offer right now. It's a worthwhile improvement over the Mark VI in nearly every way. The engine has lots of usable power and much less pronounced lag than before, and now that I am through break-in it moves out with authority. It still doesn't have the seamless torque you'd find with a bigger engine or more cylinders, but it's an impressive engine nonetheless.

Fuel economy is also remarkably good. On a trip to the mountains with speeds averaging 70+ (with occasional 100 mph jaunts) it got just over 30 mpg, which strikes me as pretty good for a car with this capability.

Where the compromises start to become evident are in handling and feel. The steering is quick and accurate but not terribly communicative, and while there is little body roll and clearly quite high limits, the car isn't really "playful."

The clutch is relatively light and easy to modulate, but also maybe not as feelsome as it could be. You can still heel and toe, but not as easily as in the Mark VI--this might be the one area where there hasn't been an improvement. Shifter feel is about the same, in that it's light and accurate but feels like the FWD car that it started as.

Ergonomics are top notch, and the seats are excellent. The wheel and shifter both feel high quality, and the nav/infotainment system is much more intuitive than before. It also has a bigger screen, meaning the maps are now usable.

Mine has a bevy of driver assist systems which are mostly just annoying. It has a shaker built into the steering wheel that goes off when you are changing lanes in a way the car doesn't like, but fortunately that can be disabled.

I do miss having a sunroof.

Overall, it's a great car. As a practical commuter it is hard to fault, and it has enough sporting pretensions to keep you entertained when the road gets twisty. In some ways, it's what BMWs used to be, before they got besotted with luxury pretensions. For the 36K that I paid, it's hard to think of a better choice.
Fun read. And helpful. Thanks.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote