carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #71
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I had a first gen Q45. It was a lot of fun in the mid 90s. Wasn't too fond of how often I had to replace the engine, but warranty coverage was nice. The latter Qs tried too hard to be Lexus like.

Always kinda forget about the M. Hmm.
These are much different from the Lexus brand - in fact, a few years back, the first gen M35's beat out the 5 series (and others in its class) routinely in car mag shootouts - not sure if that matters much, but it's worth mentioning.

We've had an M35x for almost 8 years now and it's been completely reliable (just replaced the battery) - the engine (V6) is great, too - was on Ward's ten best and is the same one found in the Z. The M35 is the generation before the M37 (now called the Q50, i think), and might also be worth considering - it's been a great car if a little less refined than the M37.

Both generations come in V8 models too - the M45 and 45x and I'm guessing, the M47, 47x.

Really comfortable seats!
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #72
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #73
JST

Panamera is an interesting idea. It's too bad they are so aesthetically challenged. And only seat four.

Hmm. Remember the Taurus SHO? How about something along the same lines, from roughly the same era, except a LOT weirder?

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/01/15/...ia-thema-8-32/

I mean, 23.5 seems cheap for a car this wackadoodle, even if it's probably also what you'd spend annually on maintenance.

EDIT: Now reading the comments, apparently it's over priced. For a FWD Ferrari engined Lancia? What?

I still heartily endorse this vehicle. Buy it immediately.

EDIT: And i found something for Bren, too.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-dodge-ram-srt10/

Last edited by JST; 01-16-2016 at 07:53 AM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #74
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
So have you bought a Camaro yet?

Let's be realistic for a second. Clyde is not going to buy a 15-year-old BMW. I've never once heard him utter anything along the lines of, "I think I'd like to use my abundant free time in the garage fixing oil leaks and disintegrating cooling systems."

I don't think you'd enjoy a Boxster / Cayman as a daily driver.

The GT350 is just too expensive. And knowing it exists I think would bug you if you bought a GT. Especially because the Camaro is better.

Chevy SS might be more satisfying and useful as a daily driver, though. And it's oddball enough that you'll rarely see another one. Camaros are everywhere.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #75
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So have you bought a Camaro yet?

Let's be realistic for a second. Clyde is not going to buy a 15-year-old BMW. I've never once heard him utter anything along the lines of, "I think I'd like to use my abundant free time in the garage fixing oil leaks and disintegrating cooling systems."

I don't think you'd enjoy a Boxster / Cayman as a daily driver.

The GT350 is just too expensive. And knowing it exists I think would bug you if you bought a GT. Especially because the Camaro is better.

Chevy SS might be more satisfying and useful as a daily driver, though. And it's oddball enough that you'll rarely see another one. Camaros are everywhere.

I'd like to see Clyde get an SS, so that i could drive it. You don't see them too often, though I think I probably run across one once or twice a month. Of course, they look like Impalas, so they don't really jump out at you.

Another reason to get the SS over the Camaro is total cost of ownership--I think you can be fairly certain that the SS will hold its value really well. GM is never going to build a car like that again. The Camaro? Not so much.

OTOH, the (new) Camaro probably drives a lot better. And GM's horrifyingly annoying website doesn't reveal any local 6MT SSs; not sure how hard those are to actually find.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #76
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I saw a used manual SS listed somewhere local recently. Only ever seen one on the road, and after missing out on the GXP it makes sense. But the Panamara would be cooler - until something breaks.

The thing with the camaro is that a better one is always a year away. That would bother me.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #77
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I saw a used manual SS listed somewhere local recently. Only ever seen one on the road, and after missing out on the GXP it makes sense. But the Panamara would be cooler - until something breaks.

The thing with the camaro is that a better one is always a year away. That would bother me.
You will never own a Porsche.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #78
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
These are much different from the Lexus brand - in fact, a few years back, the first gen M35's beat out the 5 series (and others in its class) routinely in car mag shootouts - not sure if that matters much, but it's worth mentioning.

We've had an M35x for almost 8 years now and it's been completely reliable (just replaced the battery) - the engine (V6) is great, too - was on Ward's ten best and is the same one found in the Z. The M35 is the generation before the M37 (now called the Q50, i think), and might also be worth considering - it's been a great car if a little less refined than the M37.

Both generations come in V8 models too - the M45 and 45x and I'm guessing, the M47, 47x.

Really comfortable seats!
Pretty sure it's called the Q70 now ... Infiniti really made a mistake calling all of their cars Q's ... Everyone knew the different models and they each were building their own following ... Now that they call each one Q who the hell knows which model is which.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #79
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Panamera is an interesting idea. It's too bad they are so aesthetically challenged. And only seat four.
Aesthetically challenged !! That is a really nice way to put it

I like the front but I just can't get into the way the back looks and why is it sooooo long !?!?

I wish Porsche came out with a 3 or even 5 series competitor, I love the way my sisters Macan drives I just wish it was the same vehicle on a sedan body ...
Old 01-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #80
Alan
Carmudgeon

Btw Bren can you post a larger picture ... Your killing my iPad ... All of the posts look so small.