carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I don't think you need to worry about AWD in Atlanta...

If there's a storm coming in with snow or freezing rain, the entire place shuts down. School will be cancelled even if the storm is expected to hit at any point during the school day. The airport will likely be closed also.

In my 3 years in ATL, I had only two days like that. One fell on a weekend, so we just stayed home (and it was OK by ~10am -- everything melted). The other was a storm that hit early morning and there was only a dusting on the road. I went to the office and found only a couple other people there. The snow picked up mid morning, so I went home around 10am to avoid any other issues -- the roads were a little slippy (I had the E46 back then...), but there was no other traffic and I just took it slow and made it home fine...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Thanks, ZBB. Well, happened to be at the BMW dealer today for service. Sat in the back of the 2 series convertible, and it's just as uncomfortable as I remember the 1 series to be. Not just no leg room (with the driver's seat adjusted for my 5'5" height), but very tight side to side. The 4 series was considerably more comfortable.

As much as I prefer the price point of the M240, I'm not sure it's really livable for our family. It's really more like a roadster-size that can squeeze some back seat passengers in occasionally.

But, the 4 series really is short on trunk space with the top down. I guess I could fit my laptop in there.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Biggest trunk, AND leg room puts you in one of these

just kidding, I wouldn't own one, but I have rented them in the past as vacation rentals due to the truck space
Old 09-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post

just kidding, I wouldn't own one, but I have rented them in the past as vacation rentals due to the truck space
Woof.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post

my dad had one of the older versions of those, terrible cars. My previous dog loved it though
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #16
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Sat in the back of the 2 series convertible, and it's just as uncomfortable as I remember the 1 series to be. Not just no leg room (with the driver's seat adjusted for my 5'5" height), but very tight side to side. The 4 series was considerably more comfortable.
I let friends drive my ZHP this weekend - I had never sat in the back and found it spacious and comfortable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back seat driver.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	10956  
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
I let friends drive my ZHP this weekend - I had never sat in the back and found it spacious and comfortable
Yep. I don't remember my e46 M3 being punishing in the back seat.

I think the question is whether we throw our kid under the bus--so to speak---and get the 2 series. Understanding that he can mostly ride in the front seat to and from school and for weekend jaunts around town. And we have an X5 for long-distance family hauling.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #18
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:

I think the question is whether we throw our kid under the bus--so to speak---and get the 2 series. Understanding that he can mostly ride in the front seat to and from school and for weekend jaunts around town. And we have an X5 for long-distance family hauling.
I think it'll be fine, kids have fun back there!
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but my teenage girls and my very tall 10 year old son are comfortable in the back of the 1er. If you like the 2, don't let the back seat stop you.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #20
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I never understood back leg room comparisons among different people because rear legroom is highly dependent on the front passenger's seat position. I sit relatively close to the wheel. Meanwhile, if I sit in my FIL's car (who is 2" shorter than me) I feel like I can hardly reach the pedals. His back basically hardly touches the seat back and his leg is fully extended. Yeah, it's insane, but it shows an extreme.

To compare rear leg room, you have to hold the driver constant.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote