carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
So my wife finally drove the 987S...

She's never serious about car claims, but she pretty quickly dismissed the idea of ever getting an MCS over keeping the 987S (I brought it up). It was a non-verbal "that would be retarded."

She REALLY liked the car. The biggest thing besides how awesome it was as a car was the element of giving her a little break in the day to feel good on her own. Our infant gave her a specially rough day yesterday, so she liked driving her cool car to get an iced coffee. It was all of 20-30 minutes, but she seemed very happy.

I'm all for it being "her" car. Now, about my car...
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
She's never serious about car claims, but she pretty quickly dismissed the idea of ever getting an MCS over keeping the 987S (I brought it up). It was a non-verbal "that would be retarded."

She REALLY liked the car. The biggest thing besides how awesome it was as a car was the element of giving her a little break in the day to feel good on her own. Our infant gave her a specially rough day yesterday, so she liked driving her cool car to get an iced coffee. It was all of 20-30 minutes, but she seemed very happy.

I'm all for it being "her" car. Now, about my car...
Can I interest you in a sparkling (when wet) 1989 Corvette? It's red, not a mistake like the one in the video. Almost runs better than this one at the end...

Or perhaps a 1991 blue Miata with five (count 'em ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR-FIVE) forward gears that almost always work as expected. Boy, it's special...here are some of the super duper features:
  • when you give it full throttle, the meaty big block 1.6 litre is just so darn rev happy that the rest of the drivetrain can't keep up with it.
  • Comes complete with speed holes in the top that obviously work as evidenced by the "speedy flake" clearcoat.
  • It has advanced active safety measures such as disabling the stereo for you when the head lights are turned on at night to prevent you from being lulled to sleep by the sounds of wistful static. The radio is also self muted on each wipe of the windshield wipers during the day for the same safety reasons.
  • In another clairvoyant move of this segment launching futurecar, it actively reminds you from time to time that it contains an airbag to protect you by flashing its name in lights on the dash.

Of course, no fancy car like this would be complete without some individualized custom modifications, and this car sure has them:
  • privacy plastic sheeting in place of the standard rear window for, what else? PRIVACY!
  • Genuine red iron oxide liberally coating the cigarette lighter port to discourage smoking while driving
  • Super secure top latches to remind the driver, "Hey, don't you own a convertible because you WANT to drive with the top down?"
  • Custom hardware with extra bolts to keep the battery secure at nearly all times
  • Easy-Open hood access for when you want to admire the striking beauty of that massive 1.6 litre engine

Those lists are only a sampling of what you would be treating yourself to if you bought this machine that's so wonderful "it must be European."

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
That video is way more offensive to me than all the pictures of people carrying holstered guns in the world. This is supposed to be "green?" *sigh*
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote