carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Finally drove M3 sedan

The nice guy I've been talking to wasn't around, so this other dude came along for the ride. With my pregnant wife in the car, I was carrying 300lbs+ easy. Of course, the jack ass says he'll drive it for a few blocks and then let us drive it. Hmmm... ok...

He rips out an utterly abusive 0-80mph run (as he is pulling out of the dealership) that was very uncomfortable to my wife. Moron.

Anyhow, I then drove it a bit. Mostly good, some "hmmm" moments.

The car is markedly nimbler and lighter than the cabrio. It's not close, really. It felt A LOT better. The shifter throws felt very short too. Brakes felt great and throttle response was very good. Engine sounds great too, of course, but...

It felt pretty gutless down low. On 4th gear at 2500rpm, it was almost slow. It's a peaky car for sure, and it has an RX-8-ish element to it in that when you get close to 6krpm you think you are done, but there is still so much more to go - and it's hellishly fast up there. But for being a 4.0L V8 I somehow expected more low-end torque still. In the excitement of a test-drive, it's easy to keep the revs north of 3krpm, so you don't notice it as much. Fortunately, the engine is awfully civilized and quiet through 3krpm, which should minimize the feeling of strolling through town feeling/sounding like a jackass. Perhaps JST can chime in. As with all cars, time and familiarity tends to improve the experience (at least IMO).

Still, the experience was pretty great. I-drive is retarded, though. I don't like having a screen bombarding me with colors, and graphics the whole time. I found it distracting. I'm totally avoiding the Tech pkg.

BTW, this car in stock (with an advertised 10K off) has no sunroof, so for those interested...

Anyway, I liked it a lot but the price is a bit intimidating. This is easily the 1st BMW since my 330i that I really like. Shame there is no G8 GXP to compare it to.

If I do buy one, I'm definitely doing ED, which means it's not happening for another year - we've talked this through.

Interestingly, I find very few reports of unreliability. Is it because it's so closely based off of the V10? For a first year car with such performance and high tech engine, I'm pleasantly surprised thusfar. Really. Wasn't the E46 M3 engine blowing up by now?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
JST

I don't know that I've ever felt that the M3 is *slow,* though it is definitely true that is has less in the way of low-end thrust than, e.g., the 335. Using the "Power" button improves this somewhat. I think having a couple of people in the car emphasizes the issue, but the M3's 4.0L V8 just isn't a torque monster, and it does need to be revved to really be dramatic.

iDrive is something that you get used to. I actually don't mind it these days, especially when it comes to controlling the iPod.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I don't know that I've ever felt that the M3 is *slow,* though it is definitely true that is has less in the way of low-end thrust than, e.g., the 335. Using the "Power" button improves this somewhat. I think having a couple of people in the car emphasizes the issue, but the M3's 4.0L V8 just isn't a torque monster, and it does need to be revved to really be dramatic.

iDrive is something that you get used to. I actually don't mind it these days, especially when it comes to controlling the iPod.
Well, the "slow" thing is probably relative. It didn't feel slow at all in 2nd gear. But I happend to try it while I was in 4th and it just didn't impress me.

Do you have the tech pkg? If so, I forgot to play with the damper settings. Does it work well?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, the "slow" thing is probably relative. It didn't feel slow at all in 2nd gear. But I happend to try it while I was in 4th and it just didn't impress me.

Do you have the tech pkg? If so, I forgot to play with the damper settings. Does it work well?
I don't have the tech package--mine has the stand-alone Nav option. If I were keeping the car long-term, I'd avoid the tech package just because of the expense of replacing adjustable shocks.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
I don't have the tech package--mine has the stand-alone Nav option. If I were keeping the car long-term, I'd avoid the tech package just because of the expense of replacing adjustable shocks.
Yup, that's my thinking. Plus, it's an expensive option anyhow.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
If I were keeping the car long-term, I'd avoid the tech package just because of the expense of replacing adjustable shocks.
Based on my conversations with people at Koni, I'd avoid electronically adjustable shocks on any car if I might ever want to replace with non OE stuff.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I liked the tech package (but then how long do I keep cars?). I think it's neatly done (you can store your settings into one M button) and then press that for some gimmicky fun. I'm also a convert to having nav built-in.

Surprised that you found it slow. I drove it for 100+ miles, and did not find it slow. Is it wildly faster than my cayman? Not really (in fact the cabrio not at all).

What I like about it is that it is such a sleeper. Looks like Joe Middle Manager's 330i (like mine) but underneath it has an exotic-like engine and a front-end feel that no modern car with four seats has. It does not feel heavy to drive, to the contrary.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I liked the tech package (but then how long do I keep cars?). I think it's neatly done (you can store your settings into one M button) and then press that for some gimmicky fun. I'm also a convert to having nav built-in.

Surprised that you found it slow. I drove it for 100+ miles, and did not find it slow. Is it wildly faster than my cayman? Not really (in fact the cabrio not at all).

What I like about it is that it is such a sleeper. Looks like Joe Middle Manager's 330i (like mine) but underneath it has an exotic-like engine and a front-end feel that no modern car with four seats has. It does not feel heavy to drive, to the contrary.
This is more like my experience. We drove the M3 sedan on two separate occasions - in one instance we had the car to ourselves for at least an hour. It certainly never felt slow, and was faster than my M3 in every way. I agree that the front-end feel was extraordinary, especially when you take into account how heavy it is.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

I'm sure you guys are right. Maybe I had my butt-meter out of calibration last night. And yes, this car wipes away any prior comment about the handling being off. The steering and nimbleness compared to the cabrio was as if they were two totally different cars.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
You've driven it twice now. From the lack of 'wows' etc, it doesn't seem like it speaks to you. BTW, the one that I drove the longest was the cabrio, and that still felt special to me, I don't think the difference between them is night and day, just noticeable that is all...

I don't think you should pursue a $50-60k car that you are not so passionate about. (Or perhaps the engineer in you limits your use of adjectives. )
equ is offline   Reply With Quote