carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I will park this here… So he paid more than double for the car (seems to brag about paying $120k for it often) and has already begun modding it (cosmetically). Little does he realize that he is killing the EAG resale/collector status or maybe he does realize, but just does not care? Either way, extremely foolish on his part, especially as a former financial advisor. lol
People are weird, man. Like. This guy is weird for doing this, but why are people watching him? He's very boring and his takes are...meh. I suppose he might know something about cleaning cars? But I don't have enough time in my life to hear this dude muse about why the E46 is bad or the E92 is good or whatever (I don't actually care).
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #12
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
People are weird, man. Like. This guy is weird for doing this, but why are people watching him? He's very boring and his takes are...meh. I suppose he might know something about cleaning cars? But I don't have enough time in my life to hear this dude muse about why the E46 is bad or the E92 is good or whatever (I don't actually care).
I suppose individuals, including myself will watch nearly anything when bored. For whatever his demeanor along with the way he speaks reminds me of a current high school student albeit he is in his 40s. He is not a professional detailer by trade, never has been, but likes to think he is an expert at it. He did attend the detailing academy at Esoteric (Todd Copperider ~ OH) and later the two day training classes at Rupes in Colorado. I only know this because I have considered attending one of them myself. A very valid conclusion on your part. I need to stop clicking…

Note, I would guess that he can partially write off his purchases as business expenses? Who knows…

Last edited by SCA; 01-06-2022 at 03:00 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose individuals, including myself will watch nearly anything when bored. For whatever his demeanor along with the way he speaks reminds my of a current high school student (in his 40s). He is not a professional detailer by trade, never has been, but likes to think he is an expert at it. He did attend the detailing academy at Esoteric (Todd Copperider ~ OH):and later the two day training classes at Rupes in Colorado. I only know this because I have considered attending one of them myself. A very valid conclusion on your part. I need to stop clicking…

Note, I would guess that he can partially write off his purchases as business expenses? Who knows…
I started watching a lot more Youtube content some months back when it became clear that the information I was seeking on [topic of the moment] was there and almost nowhere else. Think of the old how to guides on forums with written descriptions and photos...those aren't really done any more. They do YouTube videos instead. Intellectual stuff, history, etc short of full on books used to be articles, blog posts, and the like. Now they're podcasts that you have to listen to (if you're lucky, there's a transcript to skim, but it's a transcript of speech that differs greatly from a structured piece of writing) or watch(? really? yes really).

This annoyed me in ever increasing amounts for the past few years, but I gave in. Then, I learned keyboard commands in Youtube that make it easy to speed up the video and jump ahead that makes scanning a bit more efficient.

With this guy in particular? His thing is that he buys a bunch of detailing (and detailing adjacent) tools/products for specific tasks and "tests" them. Watching those videos gives a sense of how they compare to each other and that's helpful. He does videos with products reps demonstrating their products and asks a bunch of useful (as well as useless) questions which is also helpful. He does some "how to" videos that are a mixed bag. There's as much "oh, okay"s as there are "WTF?! is he thinking?"s

I think what happened is that his videos of trying and comparing all this stuff built him a bit of a following and he started reselling some of it...particularly high end commercial grade items that are tough to impossible to find at retail. Somewhere along the way he got fired from his day job and went into the youtube/webstore thing full time and grown it to the point that it looks like he has maybe 9 (or so?) employees. He also seems to have branched out into design and supplying garage builds (not sure, because I'm not really paying attention), which I've heard (in other places) has been incredibly lucrative the past two years once you start getting a little business (and already had a large audience of people looking to spend extra money for little extra actual value).

Like JST, I don't care what he has to say about any cars. I don't care what he spent or might be wasting on this E92. The only reason we're talking about him here right now is because I happened to notice his E46 M3 take in the middle of an E46 M3 conversation happening here at the same time. I added the video to that discussion because of the connection. If our conversation happened here a month earlier or a month later, I don't think we'd be talking about him now.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #14
SCA
Jaded

Listed their home for sale today. He dropped a small fortune into this house to “dial it in”to “his spec.” It will be interesting to see if he gets it all back. https://youtu.be/YvB2Z8ZmO1E

https://realtorweb.onelink.me/i5LB/c9aae013
Old 01-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #15
JST

Quote:
Listed their home for sale today. He dropped a small fortune into this house to “dial it in”to “his spec.” It will be interesting to see if he gets it all back. https://youtu.be/YvB2Z8ZmO1E

The garage is cool. Everything else about that house makes me sad.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #16
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Quote:
Interesting how they lead in with the pics of the garage. And its not that cool IMO... and the house even less so.

But - YMMV as always.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:54 PM   #17
dan
redefined

Jordans/Dunks/other cool sneakers? Nice.

But…running shoes?

Old 01-25-2022, 10:14 PM   #18
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Matt Moreman of Obsessed Garage

Quote:

Bought for $410k a year ago and asking $825k now? No clue what the market is like there but can’t see what type of “upgrades” justify that premium on what was already a fairly new house.

Edit: yes, just found the pics from last year’s listing and the upgrades aren’t that big.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:19 PM   #19
SCA
Jaded

True re any home appraiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA83172E-264C-48A9-B611-F6963FF8D39C.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	14242  
Old 01-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #20
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
True, but I could find happiness in the kitchen. Not enough happiness to overcome Florida though