carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-18-2021, 11:06 PM   #11
JST

Lol no, that’s my pic; I saw that car on the street the other day.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #12
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Lol no, that’s my pic; I saw that car on the street the other day.
Ha! I am guessing given that the film was neglected so was the rest of the car. PPF has to be kept up just like the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD7EE84-B2E1-4B75-83C7-4A47CE733E39.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	14023  

Last edited by SCA; 11-18-2021 at 11:33 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

I just spent some time watching the video below after watching a video by the same guy applying Dr color chip to his previous Porsche. He says some very interesting things about PPF … one thing he mentions is the edges which cannot be helped collect dirt, also rock chips will still show but now it’s on the PPF and not the car so while the paint might be protected (though he mentions some rocks do get through the PPF) you will still see the marks and yes your paint will look better but for the next owner.

Also sounds like you need to be more careful when washing not to mess up the seams or it will collect more dirt if you peel the PPF.

More things learned are parts of the PPF will get messed up/blemished and need to be redone or just learn to live with it.

Overalll sounds like it is going to require maintenance and is another thing to worry about which is like the ceramic coating on our M340, it became more of a hassle and annoyance and really took away from the enjoyment of the car, who wants to worry about sprinkler water getting on the car and ruining the ceramic coating which is what happened.

I am tempted to have the Caymans front done as a trial to see if I like it for my next car … something tells me I might just find it another thing to worry about instead of some rock chips

https://youtu.be/oO68EqULr0A

Last edited by Alan; 11-19-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #14
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
We had an issue with the wagon recently where a dump truck carrying peas gravel didn't have it's tailgate properly latched on the PA Turnpike. We needed a new windshield and a number of paint chips repaired on the bumper, hood, front quarter panels and roof. As soon as it got our of the body shop I took it to Oakes for a front end ppf. They did a really awesome job. I can't see the film unless i try extremely hard. They also prepped the paint perfectly. When I pulled into their shop, I was very disappointed by the swirls left by the body shop, especially under the detailing lights. When I picked the car up they were all gone. I think in the spring we will have them prep the Porsche and have the front end of that ppfed too.
https://oakesdetail.com/

I talked to the owner about maintenance and it's not a big deal. You can pressure wash, but keep the wand 2ft away, usual hand washing techniques, etc.

There are pros and cons to everything, but the only con to me of xpel is it cost $2500 to have the front end done.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Ages well?
That could happen to some of the really old films (the early stuff from the 2004-2007 timeframe). I have to imagine some of the cheap films on the market could do that as well, particularly if the car is left outside. It really doesn't make sense to go cheap on the film, though, because the majority of the cost is in the installation.

I put one of the self-healing films on my Boxster (did it myself) right when I got it, and it still looked really good when I sold the car. I didn't do anything special in terms of maintenance, other than storing the car in a garage. I certainly wasn't buying hundreds of dollars of cleaners and sealers for it. Some of the edges of the film around tight corners lifted up, and I blame that on myself as a worse-than-amateur installer. It's not a big deal, you just take an X-acto blade and trim away the film that lifted up. Washing / waxing / sealing the film like you would the paint seems to work well.

I really hate touching up stone chips and leveling them properly, so film is a much better answer for me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Ages well?
The quality, longevity, and durability of the higher level films has improved drastically in recent years.

Even so, meh.

PPF can also be replaced if it gets damaged. If you let it degrade to that extent, you're probably also going to run a risk of pulling clearcoat when you try remove. If you take care of it before that, the pain will still be as perfect as it possibly could be...and that's the point of paint protection film.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He says some very interesting things about PPF

https://youtu.be/oO68EqULr0A
He says some very interesting things generally and they're often best paired with some grains of salt.

There's a lot of good info in his videos, but there's a lot of ridiculous shit, too.

In this video did he mention that it was Suntek Ultra, that he was talked into installing it, and the strong anti-PPF biases he had before the install? If not, search his channel for "PPF" and watch some of the other videos.

Trying to form expectations for what to expect from the top of the line Xpel film based on Matt's experience with Suntek Ultra three or four years ago is like trying to form an expectation for the Porsche you're waiting for an allocation on based on my experience with my Camaro.

I'm not saying PPF is definitely for you, but based on all the things that can happen, will happen, and what you've described as annoying, I think PPF is probably your best bet.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #18
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
He says some very interesting things generally and they're often best paired with some grains of salt.

There's a lot of good info in his videos, but there's a lot of ridiculous shit, too.

In this video did he mention that it was Suntek Ultra, that he was talked into installing it, and the strong anti-PPF biases he had before the install? If not, search his channel for "PPF" and watch some of the other videos.

Trying to form expectations for what to expect from the top of the line Xpel film based on Matt's experience with Suntek Ultra three or four years ago is like trying to form an expectation for the Porsche you're waiting for an allocation on based on my experience with my Camaro.

I'm not saying PPF is definitely for you, but based on all the things that can happen, will happen, and what you've described as annoying, I think PPF is probably your best bet.
Alan, I agree with Clyde's comments above. New PPF films (we put a 10mil Xpel on the wagon) are really good, and I think they'd align very well with the way you use and take care of your cars. I think it would be one LESS thing for you to obsess about as opposed to something additional.

Cylde, did you / are you planning on doing it to the Camaro?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #19
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The quality, longevity, and durability of the higher level films has improved drastically in recent years.

Even so, meh.

PPF can also be replaced if it gets damaged. If you let it degrade to that extent, you're probably also going to run a risk of pulling clearcoat when you try remove. If you take care of it before that, the pain will still be as perfect as it possibly could be...and that's the point of paint protection film.

Yes, I think it's a good idea and am sure the car I saw was a ridiculous outlier.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #20
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Alan, I agree with Clyde's comments above. New PPF films (we put a 10mil Xpel on the wagon) are really good, and I think they'd align very well with the way you use and take care of your cars. I think it would be one LESS thing for you to obsess about as opposed to something additional.

Cylde, did you / are you planning on doing it to the Camaro?
A very limited amount. Professional install and the pre-cut kits for most sections are more than I'm willing to pay.

The turbo Camaro fared pretty well except for the section just forward of the rear wheel wells (rock chips kicked up from front tires). I'm going to apply some Xpel Ultimate Plus to protect against that. I may apply a strip on the leading edge of the roof (because it would be cheap and easy), and there are the pieces that I already applied to the door edges. I also keep meaning to look at the front bumper to see if there are sections I think I can cut an apply well to cover vulnerable parts, but haven't yet.

Quote:
Yes, I think it's a good idea and am sure the car I saw was a ridiculous outlier.
If I had easy access to a photo like that, I would have used it, too.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?