carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-19-2021, 02:39 AM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah a camaro is probably the best bang for your buck for around 50k. The Jeep looks cool but I hate driving wranglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Resale though. That’s what keeps me in the Jeep Wrangler game.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #12
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
The x3 40i really does seem to do so much well. For me, a 135 would feel a bit too much like “been there done that” having had a 335 coupe. But it is a nice package for the price used.

If you didn't want a 1, there is money left in my budget for a nice 987.2s. I personally prefer the 135 experience to the 987, but I'm sure most here would disagree
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Hmm. If we’re talking price when new, I’ve already hit it the $100k mark (or very close to it) with my current garage: high-spec CX5 and M240 convertible.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think about what a different mix would be ALL THE TIME.

If it’s a higher priced, higher-rigor sports car, I’d need to go down to a single car. I’m with JV that the Cayman 6-cylinder would be the best single car to get, but not practical with my current life.

I could get away with an M3 Sedan. But it would be less useful that my current fleet and potentially less fun.

And like Josh, I think in my heart of hearts, the M240 is a better fit for me and easier to live with than any Boxster/Cayman would be. I just wish it were a little more taut, a bit better steering feel, a slightly stiffer suspension.

So, I wish for the car that does not exist: The M2 convertible. And it might be close to $100k, if it did exist?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Hmm. If we’re talking price when new, I’ve already hit it the $100k mark (or very close to it) with my current garage: high-spec CX5 and M240 convertible.

That doesn’t mean I don’t think about what a different mix would be ALL THE TIME.

If it’s a higher priced, higher-rigor sports car, I’d need to go down to a single car. I’m with JV that the Cayman 6-cylinder would be the best single car to get, but not practical with my current life.

I could get away with an M3 Sedan. But it would be less useful that my current fleet and potentially less fun.

And like Josh, I think in my heart of hearts, the M240 is a better fit for me and easier to live with than any Boxster/Cayman would be. I just wish it were a little more taut, a bit better steering feel, a slightly stiffer suspension.

So, I wish for the car that does not exist: The M2 convertible. And it might be close to $100k, if it did exist?

Yeah I hadn’t really put much thought into the exact parameters of the question I posed. But your current mix of cars is certainly a possible answer.

When I was younger, I think I dismissed convertibles out of hand. But if you’re going to have a dedicated fun car it makes a lot of sense for it to be a convertible (unless you plan on regularly tracking it of course). The boxster seems to be the gold standard but it’s hard to beat the added practicality of the 1/2 series verts.

I also have a possibly self destructive desire to own an Aston Martin vantage v8 or Maserati gran turismo at some point. I still think they are beautiful cars. Though used examples now in the 40s I’d probably need to set aside the rest of the 100k for repairs!

One off the wall idea is the Ferrari FF. I don’t think they have quite gotten down to 100k yet though. I have a weird fascination with it even though it could be considered ugly.

robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

I couldn’t do this challenge if “new” is required. I don’t like paying for the depreciation.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #16
SCA
Jaded

I somewhat have that $100k garage which consist of a 2017 X5 xDrive 35i M Sport (ordered new), 2001 Z3 3.0i, and the 2003 540i 6 speed M Tech. While it works great, I am still missing a piece to the puzzle, a 997.2 which I have wanted since I test drove one new Halloween weekend of 2008.

Edit: I have recently decided I am probably going to sell the 540 once it gets to 70-72k miles. It is currently at 64,3XX miles. It is an incredible car performance wise, especially on the interstate, but I just cannot warm up to titanium silver. I have come to loathe any automobile in silver.

Added obligatory E39 pic. Taken yesterday prior to departing on a daily roadtrip to North Carolina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DEC1290-502C-48A1-A3FD-51064951DCCC.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	13795  

Last edited by SCA; 09-19-2021 at 11:41 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
When I was younger, I think I dismissed convertibles out of hand. But if you’re going to have a dedicated fun car it makes a lot of sense for it to be a convertible (unless you plan on regularly tracking it of course).
Or live in a shitty weather area. If I bought a "fun car" living in the mid-Atlantic that was a convertible, it would be despite the fact it's a convertible. There is way too little weather where top down driving is pleasant. Way too few times where it's not too hot, too humid, or too cold.

Living in New England, upper midwest, or west coast where there are many more days with convertible appropriate weather, sure.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #18
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Or live in a shitty weather area. If I bought a "fun car" living in the mid-Atlantic that was a convertible, it would be despite the fact it's a convertible. There is way too little weather where top down driving is pleasant. Way too few times where it's not too hot, too humid, or too cold.

Living in New England, upper midwest, or west coast where there are many more days with convertible appropriate weather, sure.
I think a convertible outside of SoCal is madness.

The only reason for a Boxster over a Cayman though, dates back to something JohnV said, “it’s stupid to not get the Boxster…”. Which might not make sense. But for some reason that stuck in my mind.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #19
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

I dunno. I drove the M3 convertible all the time in DC, top up or top down. But, mostly top down. I even had winter tires for it. YMMV. If blizzards were predicted, I did have the option of the X5 with snows. But, I also could have just stayed home if i hadn't had it.

In Atlanta, there are a ton of top-down days--reliably in the mornings or after sunset in the summer; anytime it isn't raining in the spring and fall; in the afternoons all through winter. And many other times. I did replace the summer tires with the Michelin all seasons, so I could drive top up the coldest spells of winter, if I wanted.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #20
JST

People have different convertible tolerances. I rarely drive the Boxster with the top up, even if it’s hot as hell or getting close to freezing. Idk, it doesn’t bother me—it’s all part of the experience. And the top down experience is for me way more visceral than you get with something like a Cayman.

Different strokes for different folks. To me the 987.2 is just about the perfect “fun” car; I like it better than the 981, by a substantial margin. But then again there are a lot of 1 and 2 series partisans on the board and those cars have never really done much for me. They feel too betwixt and between.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote