carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
MX5 Miata Waffle Thread

Does anyone here own an ND MX5 Miata?

Just wanted to get some feedback here.

I have owned a spec NA Miata and an NC — just curious about the ND2.

I think I want one.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I’ve only done short test drives. Also thinking of getting one - mostly to help teach our daughter how to drive stick.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I’ve only done short test drives. Also thinking of getting one - mostly to help teach our daughter how to drive stick.
Funny. Been thinking the same thing…But, it would make sense to get a Mazda3 or something with a stick. Just less fun factor (and probably lower insurance premiums.)
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Funny. Been thinking the same thing…But, it would make sense to get a Mazda3 or something with a stick. Just less fun factor (and probably lower insurance premiums.)
We're actually having a debate about what to do for teaching her how to drive. She can get her permit at the end of January

On one hand, it would be great for her to learn stick. The extra time it takes to learn how to time a clutch release along with getting experience with shifting and the difference between different gears and some engine breaking is a great thing for car control.

On the other hand, the likelihood she will ever drive a manual transmission car is close to zero. She'll probably won't even drive an ICE!

I've been toying with selling my Model 3 (which continues to increase in value due to the chip shortage...). I could replace it with a used Miata and a used Bolt and not put more cash into our car fleet... With GM recalling all the Bolts ever made, it would get a new battery "soon" and likely be good for years (assuming the battery design isn't the real issue...).
Old 09-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
We're actually having a debate about what to do for teaching her how to drive. She can get her permit at the end of January

On one hand, it would be great for her to learn stick. The extra time it takes to learn how to time a clutch release along with getting experience with shifting and the difference between different gears and some engine breaking is a great thing for car control.

On the other hand, the likelihood she will ever drive a manual transmission car is close to zero. She'll probably won't even drive an ICE!

I've been toying with selling my Model 3 (which continues to increase in value due to the chip shortage...). I could replace it with a used Miata and a used Bolt and not put more cash into our car fleet... With GM recalling all the Bolts ever made, it would get a new battery "soon" and likely be good for years (assuming the battery design isn't the real issue...).
My oldest son is able to get his permit this December I told him if he could drive my turbo the first time without stalling he could drive it, too bad I sold it if he wants to drive the 6MT in my GTI he can but not going push him to do it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
wdc330i
dogged

Good point about not really needing the stick skill. That's probably just us old nostalgic folks reliving bygone days. It's probably enough already for him to toggle between an ICE and an EV, as he does now.

He won't be eligible for his full license until next August, due our laws here. He was late in getting his learners and he has to have it for 12 months and a day before eligible for a full license. There are a bunch of other requirements and restrictions, too--which, I think, is a good thing,
Old 09-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
dan
redefined

Lol my kids (and I as well) have no interest in them learning/driving a stick.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
The comments about a platform to teach how to drive a manual speaks to the appeal for me also —this car at this weight with typical Mazda perfectionism should be damn easy to drive even in heavy traffic.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'll just ask this sort of personal question as we are a small friendly group... How many cars do you want at the same time? Can you actually enjoy more than three? I feel like all of these additions exact a cost; a tax on audio systems/controls/handling, they all need to be kept up etc. There were periods where I owned three cars, I could not get down to two fast enough even with the space to keep them. Now, if it weren't for the great spec and condition of the 981S, I'd be down to one (but of course, I hardly drive or put any miles).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'll just ask this sort of personal question as we are a small friendly group... How many cars do you want at the same time? Can you actually enjoy more than three? I feel like all of these additions exact a cost; a tax on audio systems/controls/handling, they all need to be kept up etc. There were periods where I owned three cars, I could not get down to two fast enough even with the space to keep them. Now, if it weren't for the great spec and condition of the 981S, I'd be down to one (but of course, I hardly drive or put any miles).
Yes, Unless you are super wealthy, maintaining all those cars can become a burden (in time and money), just like maintaining multiple houses becomes. I do think—beyond two for one person—there’s a point of diminishing returns in enjoyment/utility.

There are times when I consider selling the 2, just to simplify life, cash in on its value, and open up garage space.