carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Motorcycles are just beautiful machines. And I definitely almost talked myself into one years ago. They are very compelling.

But, I lived and still I’ve in a dense city. There is just no margin for error with them—neither your error nor another driver’s, nor any road imperfection or unexpected impediment. Like, Alan, I’ve seen a motorcyclist hit by a car.

You messed up an ankle in a bike accident. How about losing a leg in a motorcycle accident (as did someone I knew in high school)? What about a brain injury?

You have a family that relies on you. What if, instead, your wife had to take care of you and the kids, and keep her demanding job?

Buy the convertible with the roll bars and airbags...
All true.

Just for clarification, my ankle was badly injured playing basketball. I did have a bad bicycle accident where I hit my head very hard just over 10 years ago.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #22
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s been decades since I rode a motorcycle and I never actually got into riding seriously because of the safety concerns mentioned by others.

That said, I challenge the use case a bit. Are you really going to use it for quick errands, when going for a ride involves a bunch of protective gear and severely limits what you can carry?

The other thing is my kids have gotten old enough that both of them really enjoy riding in the convertible now (though obvs not at the same time). It means I’m driving the Porsche a lot more than I was a couple of years ago, and it’s a nice experience to share with them.
I enjoyed the hell out of the Miata with the kids. And I do miss it in that regard. At times I even wondered if it was worth revisiting the Jeep Ultd or a 4-person convertible, but sacrificing the fun of a little convertible for the few times all 4 would go open air on the car would kill its mission.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Anyway, thanks everyone. I think cycling once a week is probably enough risk.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Doing the course first is what I'd come back to.

If it's not for you then you know.

If a partial solution is needed, maybe a good e-bike? They are in a gray zone of regulation, safety and gear.... Better that you ride one with MSF than without. Likely less dangerous than motorcycles, but still risky of course, and they bring some risks (doors of parked cars e.g.) that MC's avoid more by owning the lane... I don't have one and have no significant time/experience on them, so I don't have input on that. Still evolving but certainly getting popular, not least because it cuts the licensing, maintenance and other frictions of motorcycling while capturing some of its urban advantages.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #25
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
No motorcycle will feel underpowered if you haven't ridden before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Good to know.

What about the notion of just getting a (used & cheap) 250 or 300 vs a 500+?

Are they easier to ride beyond the likelihood of them being lighter?
JV's post is spot on.

I don't know MA requirements, but in most states you have to demonstrate skills in order to get your licence from DMV. Smaller and lighter make maneuvering easier

Most "smaller" bikes are also less expensive. If you find out riding is not for you, your financial losses will also be smaller.

Beyond where you live, there are some fantastic routes to be explored in NH, Maine and Vermont (but you don't need me to tell you this)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #26
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5

Good compromise?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Doing the course first is what I'd come back to.

If it's not for you then you know.
Agree with doing the MSF course even if you decide BEFORE taking the course that you don't want to buy/ride a bike. There's no reason not to.

If you've never riden before, it should be fun, start teaching you some new skills, and give you a more direct appreciation for what it's like to be on a bike which will also help you be a better driver.

There's no reason for you to take motorcycling advice from me given how little I've been on a bike in 30+ years (not that I put many hours/miles on before that), but if you were to decide you wanted to buy something and ride a bit, I'd suggest starting with something used, upright, light (enough you can pick it up by yourself when it falls), and kind of underpowered. See how it goes for a few months/couple thousand miles and take it from there.

I don't think it will fill the convertible void at all, but it would open up an entirely different experience.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #28
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Agree with doing the MSF course even if you decide BEFORE taking the course that you don't want to buy/ride a bike. There's no reason not to.
I'll do that even if I am convinced that I will not buy one. I've always wanted to.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

Good compromise?
I thought of that, but frankly, I rather go with a roadster.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #30
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

Good compromise?
Having both a bike and a "reverse trike (2 front wheels, 1 rear)", I can tell you they're both different.

Sure you get the same "wind therapy", but when the roads become twisty, the 3-wheeler isn't as fun.

There's something about tilting the horizon on a curve that makes motorcycling a blast.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote