carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

I took an assignment in Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River, MA and worked in the area for a better part of a year. We took many road trips and explored that region extensively.

No offense, but that area has some of THE most aggressive (read: worse) drivers in the nation, and I have driven in many states. Next to Florida, where I used to live (and had AT LEAST 3 close calls), there would be NO way you'd catch me riding around on 2 wheels there.

There ARE some nice remote areas up north of Boston that offers nice riding, but you'd have to contend with wildlife such as deer.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't entertain the idea of riding a bike there, especially when you have many in your family who rely on you.

My opinion of course....
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
I took an assignment in Charlton Memorial Hospital in Fall River, MA and worked in the area for a better part of a year. We took many road trips and explored that region extensively.

No offense, but that area has some of THE most aggressive (read: worse) drivers in the nation, and I have driven in many states. Next to Florida, where I used to live (and had AT LEAST 3 close calls), there would be NO way you'd catch me riding around on 2 wheels there.

There ARE some nice remote areas up north of Boston that offers nice riding, but you'd have to contend with wildlife such as deer.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't entertain the idea of riding a bike there, especially when you have many in your family who rely on you.

My opinion of course....
I'm very glad to hear your opinion. I will remind you that in the past I've used the idea of a motorbike as leverage to get a convertible.

Maybe I should just hold off and get an ND sooner.

Either way, I do want to learn how to ride a motorcycle because you never know when you'll need to use one in a pinch.

But to be fair, I'd never ride a bike in commuter traffic. I'd probably just ride it in the yuppy more rural suburbs of Boston.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
People and cars do not respect motorcycles enough ... sorry but they are death machines where we live ...

Completely sucks but I have seen it too many times, a motorcycle is coming down a 40 mph road and what cuts in front of him, some idiot in a car. Literally just saw a guy lying on the ground after getting hit by a car 2 weeks ago in a 30mph street.

We all need to move to where Lou lives
Seems like EVERYBODY and their grandmother are taking your advice. The Reno/Tahoe area is EXPLODING with growth: many job opportunities, record pace housing construction and worsening traffic are making this area not so desirable as it once was.

It figures, right ?? After being a medical contract worker and traveling all over the country for 7 years, I've finally found my paradise.

Unfortunately, so have many others ....

Last edited by 3LOU5; 05-24-2021 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 05-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #14
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I'm very glad to hear your opinion. I will remind you that in the past I've used the idea of a motorbike as leverage to get a convertible.

Maybe I should just hold off and get an ND sooner.

Either way, I do want to learn how to ride a motorcycle because you never know when you'll need to use one in a pinch.
Riding bikes is GREAT fun, but I think there are safer ways to do it.

Perhaps you can get your kids into dirtbike riding. If you make it a family affair, you can still get your kicks (pun intended) and enjoy spending quality time with your family at the same time. I have a coworker who has 3 boys, and she and her husband take their kids out trail riding all the time.

Dirtbike riding will give you the necessary skills to get comfortable on 2 wheels. In fact, many professional roadracers go out in little 100cc dirtbikes and practice sliding the rear tires, which give them more confidence on the racetrack. More confidence translates to quicker lap times.

I actually learned to ride a motorcycle on the dirt. It was only then when I realized that I would enjoy riding a bike on the street.

Perhaps that will happen to you as well ....

Last edited by 3LOU5; 05-24-2021 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 05-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #15
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

If you are just going to ride it "in the rural suburbs of Boston", I can't see you needing more than 600cc, probably even a 500cc, just to keep things interesting.

And definitely go used. There are A LOT of "starter" bikes in the 250-500 cc range with low mileage because their previous owners upgraded to something bigger and faster.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #16
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
FC, I love motorcycling, much more than driving...

Don't think about which "bike", learn and perfect the skill... Or even before that, try it out and see if it is for you.

You'll gravitate to the right bikes over time. What you learn on, matters less, other than low power, light weight and smooth operation will help. Take the weekend MSF course... That only qualifies you to go around the block. Get a versys 300 or cb500 (f or x), quite used, or similar... Buy a ton of safety gear (more important than your first bike). Start going around the block, widening your circle, gaining experience and speed. Do that for a few months.. Then you'll be ready to shop for a bike. Don't do an FC and start thinking back from your presumed use case. Just learn the skill safely and enjoy. You won't burn much money, but it will require genuine focus.
DEFINITELY attend an MSF course. It may save your life one day.

Since you already know how to drive a stick, you won't have any problems getting the concept on how to shift gears, clutch take-up point, rev-matching, etc.

It takes quite a bit more coordination and skill on 2 wheels than 4, which makes riding a lot more challenging but fun than driving.

If you have an addictive personality like I do, I suggest you don't do it.

You'll end up with a bike in your garage, LOL.

Last edited by 3LOU5; 05-24-2021 at 12:30 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Motorcycles are just beautiful machines. And I definitely almost talked myself into one years ago. They are very compelling.

But, I lived and still I’ve in a dense city. There is just no margin for error with them—neither your error nor another driver’s, nor any road imperfection or unexpected impediment. Like, Alan, I’ve seen a motorcyclist hit by a car.

You messed up an ankle in a bike accident. How about losing a leg in a motorcycle accident (as did someone I knew in high school)? What about a brain injury?

You have a family that relies on you. What if, instead, your wife had to take care of you and the kids, and keep her demanding job?

Buy the convertible with the roll bars and airbags...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I think equ's post is bang on. Take the course and put as little money as you can into the effort to see if you enjoy it.

I'm also with Lou when it comes to riding out here. I was up near Boston this past weekend and while there are some great roads up there to ride, it was just like being in Maryland where people don't pay attention, except the streets are laid out in an obtuse way that makes an accident a lot more likley. I rode from age 16 up until a couple years ago when I sold my last bike. At times I miss it but to me it's just not worth the risk to ride around here.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:13 AM   #19
JST

It’s been decades since I rode a motorcycle and I never actually got into riding seriously because of the safety concerns mentioned by others.

That said, I challenge the use case a bit. Are you really going to use it for quick errands, when going for a ride involves a bunch of protective gear and severely limits what you can carry?

The other thing is my kids have gotten old enough that both of them really enjoy riding in the convertible now (though obvs not at the same time). It means I’m driving the Porsche a lot more than I was a couple of years ago, and it’s a nice experience to share with them.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Mile per mile, riding bikes mixed with cars is also very dangerous; hard to say which is worse, let's just say they are both dangerous. I haven't had numerous terrible close calls in 12 years of M/C'ing in the NYC area... Most suburban roads/shopping areas are arguably worse for motorcyclists with higher speeds and stranger road designs/merges. In addition to picking roads, I also try to avoid dreaded afternoons (used to be 3pm to 7pm, now maybe 1pm to 7pm post-COVID).

For me, short urban errands is where motorcycling shines, with some mild filtering through backed up traffic and zero worries about finding parking, but I don't live in suburbia/exurbia. Yes, spending 5 minutes at each end with gear on/off isn't fun, but the payoff is less stress about parking and getting stuck as well as pure enjoyment that I just don't get from a car, any car.

While I haven't been on two wheels there, I'd probably feel better motorcycling within DC than outside DC... Don't know the Boston area that well. Highways are relatively safer per mile, but not fun on a bike for long periods. Twisties, rural ares and hills are the most fun but bring their own dangers, first you being your worst enemy, secondly others on the road... My least favorite motorcycling is on 4 to 6 lane roads with shopping and lights and distracted traffic. E.g. parts of Rt 1, Rt 9, Rt 17 in NJ or River Road from Hoboken to Fort Lee, or almost any road on Long Island. I feel safer in actual old school urban areas over suburbs and exurbs. I would also venture that NV is not immune from danger.

No convertible experience can take the place of motorcycling, as good as the car may be, boxster or 911 or other. It's its own thing, worth learning IMHO. Perhaps because I didn't grow up on bikes, I find it to be a hard and worthy skill. On top of controlling the machine near perfectly, you have to scan the road surface and traffic with a different level of attention than when simply driving. It's almost hard to have fun with all of these challenges blended in, but it still works for me. C got her license ten years ago and rode a few k miles/year for a few years and then gave up. It doesn't work for her anymore - I'm not exactly sure why but I don't need to know or press her either, it's everyone's own decision. And yes, as wdc says you have to be near perfect, no fender benders.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote