carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #261
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Nope. No way. I have no regrets about this car. But I would not be happy with it as my only car.

Considering that for my purposes it was a replacement to the Miata as a hwy commuter, the GTI is miles better. It's not even close. Comfort, quietness, features, amenities, etc., all much better. For short errands around town, I do miss the Miata - and its drop top. That's easy to fix with an ND soon enough if I must.

Gotcha. Yeah the “only car” thing is tough. As long as we are talking 4 doors with a stick and a usable trunk/hatch , it might be hard to do any better than a gti. I guess something like a civic type r would have a better clutch/shifter but at the expense of probably being noisier and less comfortable on the highway. For a lot more money maybe an m3 but the harsher ride on those isn’t ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #262
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Gotcha. Yeah the “only car” thing is tough. As long as we are talking 4 doors with a stick and a usable trunk/hatch , it might be hard to do any better than a gti. I guess something like a civic type r would have a better clutch/shifter but at the expense of probably being noisier and less comfortable on the highway. For a lot more money maybe an m3 but the harsher ride on those isn’t ideal.

For only car I think the GTI is pretty ideal for at least me. Another one might be the Macan so I could do some light offroading for trail access.

Again the 4runner .... that car would drive me crazy as my only car. I do like owning it since it serves it purposes.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #263
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

I don't think the ride in the M3 is particularly harsh, though I guess the R was fairly stiff in its sport setting, so maybe my reference point is off.

An M3 is a better "I can only have one car" car than the GTI in literally every way except cost. But the cost delta is pretty massive, both in terms of running costs and acquisition costs.

I haven't driven a (newer) Type R; I'm curious about whether the Si and Type R will be better cars than the GTI. I always vaguely disliked the power delivery from VTEC engines, but perhaps the turbos are better in that regard.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #264
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Good write-up, FC, and echoes our experience with it (wholly positive other than the leaky pano-roof that VW dealers refused to help out on). No other issues that I can remember over three years.

We bought the car almost but the previous owner had already chipped it. We took the deal despite that. The APR high-output was fun to drive in a crazy way but overwhelmed the fronts ALL the time. We tuned it down to APR low and it was basically perfect. Yes, throttle/shifting still had oddness, not as natural feeling as the boxster say... That was minor though. The torque was great and you could use 6th for passing (well I guess I didn't own a 500hp m3 contemporaneously).

Maybe there is a plug-in solution to boost a bit which would not void warranty as you'd remove it? I guess a smart enough ECU might even detect and record inputs, but I'm not sure they'd go that far.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #265
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Uber-overdrive 6th gear? I didn't think that would be something you might appreciate, but it occurs to me that you have not yet had a post-break in test drive.
Something less-uber than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
An M3 is a better "I can only have one car" car than the GTI in literally every way except cost. But the cost delta is pretty massive, both in terms of running costs and acquisition costs.

I haven't driven a (newer) Type R; I'm curious about whether the Si and Type R will be better cars than the GTI. I always vaguely disliked the power delivery from VTEC engines, but perhaps the turbos are better in that regard.
Haven't driven either, but I'm told the Honda turbo motors have none of their previous VTEC character still remaining.

I actually wonder from time to time if the Type-R would be a good all-around car for me. It's so hideous I wouldn't even consider picking one up. Kind of a toss-up as to whether the Type R or the new 3 series is uglier. I think about the GTI as well but I can't get excited about it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #266
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Something less-uber than that.

Haven't driven either, but I'm told the Honda turbo motors have none of their previous VTEC character still remaining.

I actually wonder from time to time if the Type-R would be a good all-around car for me. It's so hideous I wouldn't even consider picking one up. Kind of a toss-up as to whether the Type R or the new 3 series is uglier. I think about the GTI as well but I can't get excited about it.
Agreed on the Type R. It's bizarrely bad. I'm holding out hope that the 2022 Civic Si will at least be inoffensive, styling-wise, and will offer a potential alternative to the GTI.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #267
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Agreed on the Type R. It's bizarrely bad. I'm holding out hope that the 2022 Civic Si will at least be inoffensive, styling-wise, and will offer a potential alternative to the GTI.
that hyundai R hatch gets good reviews
Old 06-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #268
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

FC, have you noticed the front collision system being overly cautious?

I have mine turned down to the minimum but have had a couple of situations on high speed freeway of it freaking out and basically locking up the brakes. Those situations are when you are driving 70mph+ in the fast lane and people in front start braking fairly hard. I am aware of it but system thinks I am going to plow into the person in front and locks up the brakes. I guess if I was not paying attention it might avoid an accident(and scare the crap out of me)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #269
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

for you FC

Quote:
We also preferred the clutch feel in the Mk 7, as the Mk 8’s clutch is super numb.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/15/...-drive-review/
Old 06-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #270
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
WTF?!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote