carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #1541
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think Clyde will look for any excuse to shit on anything having to do with Teslas.

I really don’t understand any of the points you’re making, Clyde
I wonder how much of the former influences the latter.

How did the conversation go from you describing an enjoyable drive to here? Setting aside the "sizzle" thing that inadvertently got it started, you made a claim that an EV's instant torque can be appreciated way more frequently than a taut chassis. I said I was skeptical, but held out that I couldn't be sure without living with both as you have.

From there, it seems like you won't be satisfied with anything less than my agreement that Tesla is better.

Quote:
Taycan and Model 3 aren’t even really in the same market
As someone with* a history of cross shopping anemic all wheel drive station wagons with Corvettes, I do not share that view, either.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?

Last edited by clyde; 07-19-2021 at 07:47 AM. Reason: corrected "as" to "with"
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #1542
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I haven’t driven a Y but the universal reaction seems to be that it’s less fun than the 3, which makes sense.

If I were looking at a Y, I’d think carefully about a Mach E instead; but I’d want to drive both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Ex has the Y and complains about its high center of gravity making it less fun to drive. That's likely the critical difference versus the 3...
Overall I like my wife’s Y better than my 3 (more upright seating and flexibility from a hatch), but the 3 definitely drives better. You do notice the higher COG in turns. It’s not bad compared to other SUVS. I have the optional 19” sport tires on my 3, while my wife has the base 19’s on her Y - which are higher profile, so I think part of the cornering feel has to do with the tires…
Old 07-18-2021, 11:49 PM   #1543
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I mean part of it is not wanting to give Elon Musk any money. But mostly it's the way Tesla continues to make idiotic choices with their interior and interfaces. I realize that Elon's eventual goal is to completely eliminate the driver, but that's orthogonal to my thinking about cars.
One of the things I really like about Tesla is the innovation they’ve done on Interfaxes. I wouldn’t mine something like head’s up displays being added, but the sensor visualization is something I’d miss I’di has a different brand.

As for autopilot, it’s optional. If you pay for the option, you still have choices. On the 3 or Y, you tap the drive stalk down once for cruise control only, and twice for autopilot (cruise control plus auto steer), and you can also toggle basic autopilot (lane keeping) and “Navigate with Autopilot” (which uses AI to do automatic lane changes and to follow off ramps and interchanges). You can also use the wheel to take over from autopilot, which disengages auto steer and the AI, but keeps cruise control on.. I do most of my freeway driving with autopilot on and its overall very good. But I do take control at times…

We haven’t received the FSD beta on the Y yet (and I didn’t pay for it on the 3 - only the less featured “enhanced autopilot”), so Navigate on Autopilot is limited to controlled access roads only….
Old 07-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #1544
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
One of the things I really like about Tesla is the innovation they’ve done on Interfaxes. I wouldn’t mine something like head’s up displays being added, but the sensor visualization is something I’d miss I’di has a different brand.
"Interfaces"? (Interfax is a Russian news agency.)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #1545
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Everyone here told me that the driving experience of the Y would be just as good as the 3 because all the weight was in the batteries, way down low.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:16 PM   #1546
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
"Interfaces"? (Interfax is a Russian news agency.)
Bad autocorrect…
Old 07-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #1547
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Everyone here told me that the driving experience of the Y would be just as good as the 3 because all the weight was in the batteries, way down low.
It is low, but it is higher than the 3. Compared to other crossovers, it’s much lower. But compared to the 3, it’s noticeable…
Old 10-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #1548
Alan
Carmudgeon

I was away a couple of weeks ago and was happy to see the hotel had a few chargers on the premises. It actually gave me some hope until I realized that it would be roughly a 270 mile drive and I would have had to stop on the way anyway because I would not want to take the chance of using all of the battery especially considering the factors of heated seats, or AC, cold weather (which reduces the miles) and driving at speeds of 80mph might reduce it as well.

Anyway I wanted to know if this charger is good for all cars or only a Tesla ... the reason I mention the Tesla is because i had seen one using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	15407  
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #1549
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I was away a couple of weeks ago and was happy to see the hotel had a few chargers on the premises. It actually gave me some hope until I realized that it would be roughly a 270 mile drive and I would have had to stop on the way anyway because I would not want to take the chance of using all of the battery especially considering the factors of heated seats, or AC, cold weather (which reduces the miles) and driving at speeds of 80mph might reduce it as well.

Anyway I wanted to know if this charger is good for all cars or only a Tesla ... the reason I mention the Tesla is because i had seen one using it.

Pretty much all level 1 and 2 public chargers (such as what you saw at the hotel) have J1772 style connector which fits pretty much any modern EV. Teslas require an adapter to use however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #1550
dan
redefined

You would have to show the kind of plug at the end of the cord