carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #71
Nick M3
Relic

Also, I have to just draw attention to the irony that of the two beater kids cars, it's the Honda that needs an engine.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #72
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
yeah, I'd also guess not having to deal with DMV is worth a grand or two
In Maryland, anyone with a functioning brain takes care of vehicle registration at an independent agent and isn't making trips to the DMV.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #73
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Also, I have to just draw attention to the irony that of the two beater kids cars, it's the Honda that needs an engine.

Do the Accords have the same transmission issues as the Odysseys? Or was that a specific year/application problem?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #74
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Do the Accords have the same transmission issues as the Odysseys? Or was that a specific year/application problem?
My understanding is the Odyssey gearbox issues were resolved 10-15 years ago.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #75
clyde
Chief title editor

I take the low end reman vs used comments under considered advisement. I talked with pat and their remans are...um, quite pricey. And there's a bit of a lead time on them. Still waiting for the shop to call.

I used a title agent when I bought the E46 last year because I couldn't get an MVA appointment at a time that would work. I am too cheap to spend extra for someone else to do it if I can do it. Since MVA went to an appointment based system, it's pretty quick and painless compared to old spending first come, first serve system they used. It's just a matter of getting an appointment on day and time that work.

To kog's comment, buying another car at about $5k would add another $500ish in tax and title fees. It would also force an end game resolution on my tag situation that I don't have the energy to deal with right now.

The 14 year old Honda also has about twice the miles as the 18 year old Bimmer. The Honda is also a V6 rather than the I4. If it was an I4, it probably wouldn't need to be replaced. And if it did, it would be MUCH less expensive.

I'd also point out that I may have some fears of what I might find when I actually do the BMW bushings.

I know that Honda/Acura have had some transmission issues in the last 20 years, but I'm not aware of anything specific to the B97A that's a standout. Again, with 200k+ miles, it's hard for me to consider any failure to be premature. I imagine it's just as likely that it will go just 200 more miles as it would go another 200k+

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #76
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Still waiting for the shop to call.
Ugh.

Shop called. They can't find any engines ready to go that they can quote me on.

As I'm thinking through it and looking through the notes from the calls, I'm not 100% on exactly what the damage is, but the failing parts are camshaft, and bearings inside rocker arms.

He also spoke to some Honda people and there were a couple alternative paths that should result in quality repairs:

Replacing the damaged bearings, rocker arms and cam. Parts would run about $4500...but some of them have been on back order for some time.

Another option could be replacing the heads, but that's about $6500 in parts and he's not sure he can get them anytime soon.

He also said they can reassemble it and it'll probably go another 5-10k before there's an immobilizing failure. Or, it could possibly fail on the way home. Unlikely, but possible.

So...I'm thinking best path may be putting it back together, sourcing an engine on my own, and going back to do the engine whenever that may be. All while hoping it doesn't fail before then.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 01-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #77
Nick M3
Relic

I guess there's just no plausible path to selling it to carmax?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #78
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I guess there's just no plausible path to selling it to carmax?
Replacing it is much more of an issue than selling it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #79
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Ugh.

Shop called. They can't find any engines ready to go that they can quote me on.

As I'm thinking through it and looking through the notes from the calls, I'm not 100% on exactly what the damage is, but the failing parts are camshaft, and bearings inside rocker arms.

He also spoke to some Honda people and there were a couple alternative paths that should result in quality repairs:

Replacing the damaged bearings, rocker arms and cam. Parts would run about $4500...but some of them have been on back order for some time.

Another option could be replacing the heads, but that's about $6500 in parts and he's not sure he can get them anytime soon.

He also said they can reassemble it and it'll probably go another 5-10k before there's an immobilizing failure. Or, it could possibly fail on the way home. Unlikely, but possible.

So...I'm thinking best path may be putting it back together, sourcing an engine on my own, and going back to do the engine whenever that may be. All while hoping it doesn't fail before then.
I think putting it back together makes sense. I don't think spending $5k+ on a car that's barely worth 6K makes sense, even if you accept that a replacement might also have unknown history. I would put it back together and look for a replacement.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #80
John V
No more BMWs

These decisions are never easy; as you know I'm going through a similar thing with the Mazdaspeed. If I were not able to do the work myself, I'd probably just drive the car until it stopped running and scrap it, but that's for a car that really isn't worth much of anything even in running condition. Your Honda might be a different story. I'd have a hard time selling it with the knowledge that the engine was failing but I won't judge others on their decisions.

Realistically, swapping an engine is an 8-20h book rate if I had to guess. Assuming you can find a used engine that's been tested (you could even do an oil analysis on it), and assuming the rest of the car is in good shape (i.e. it's not rusting out and doesn't need another several $K in repairs, it might be worth having someone put in a replacement engine.

I can't see the justification for spending $5k on a good reman.

JV