carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-26-2022, 04:51 PM   #101
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I have a friend that goes to the Tampa RV show every year. (He and his wife are traveling Ambassadors for New Horizon RV) It is one of only 2 RV shows (not sales events) open to the public each year. It is usually the best showcase of new stuff, as the Hersey PA show is much later in the calendar year.

Anyway, a few RV manufactures have developed "electric" travel trailers that are designed to assist when being towed by all electric tow vehicle. The Airstream Estream even has a feature that it can be parked or moved without a tow vehicle. With the tongue jack down, it comes with a wireless joystick that is used to maneuver the trailer around.

He also told me that EVERY RV built in 2022 now leaves the factory with solar panels, extra batteries and inverters installed. (used to be an option)
Old 01-27-2022, 02:46 PM   #102
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
If I walked from the R1T, possibly a LCI G05 X5 since the Rivian was going to replace my ‘17 X5.
Hmm- If you're considering an x5, I'd think the R1T (at 218") and R1S (at 200") are way too big. Might be worth just waiting to see how they electric Macan looks (granted it'll be a size smaller than an x5 but if they do it right hopefully the interior wont be as small as the gas powered version is currently).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #103
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Hmm- If you're considering an x5, I'd think the R1T (at 218") and R1S (at 200") are way too big. Might be worth just waiting to see how they electric Macan looks (granted it'll be a size smaller than an x5 but if they do it right hopefully the interior wont be as small as the gas powered version is currently).
The R1T is slotted in the middle of the current Tacoma and F-150. Closer to the Taco so not really that large. I have yet to see one in person, no telling when that will happen? I know that I am not purchasing one without ever seeing/driving one.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:31 PM   #104
SCA
Jaded

Throttle House review of the R1T https://youtu.be/0BmG0ZlnmHE
Old 03-01-2022, 10:44 PM   #105
SCA
Jaded

Rivian raises vehicle prices by 20%, sparking customer ire https://www.reuters.com/technology/r...re-2022-03-02/

I received my email from Rivian regarding the increase around 5:15 this afternoon. Screenshot attached below. My R1T increased from $77k to $91k in the matter of 18 minutes. I am going to hold tight, but more than likely I will back out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4D2EDB8-0DEC-4354-A7B4-E9922AB90258.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	14332  
Old 03-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #106
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Wow.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #107
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
yeah, it seems like they should of raised prices for new customers but not surprising that they were selling at a big loss for ipo/market share. Just priced me out
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #108
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Wow.
Yep, I thought “holy shit!” “Eff that…”

I became a pre-holder in October 2020 so I am not nearly as upset as those that have been on board since 2018.

One thing is now for certain, it appears that the X5 is here to stay until the BMW extended warranty expires in 2024. Truthfully I am not upset about it.

Last edited by SCA; 03-02-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #109
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Yep, I thought “holy shit!” “Eff that…”

I became a pre-holder in October 2020 so I am not nearly as upset as those that have been on board since 2018.

One thing is now for certain, it appears that the X5 is here to stay until the BMW extended warranty expires in 2024. Truthfully I not upset about it.
Oh, yes. You are lucky to have that X5 in place.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:04 PM   #110
SCA
Jaded

There may be more to Rivian's price hike than materials costs ~ Automotive News

Rivian Automotive Inc. has set a new bar for sticker shock in the electric vehicle era. The company, citing increased materials costs, is boosting prices as much as 20 percent on some models.

But there may be more to the huge bump than increasingly expensive materials.
Last fall the company abruptly terminated Laura Schwab, who was lured away from Aston Martin to head Rivian's sales and marketing. Schwab, in a lawsuit against the company, said one reason she was fired is because she questioned Rivian's pricing. The R1T electric truck's starting sticker price of $67,500 was too low, Schwab said in her suit. Rivian was on the cusp of launching its IPO and had already booked thousands of orders for its pickup.

Her suit says: "First, it was clear that the vehicles were underpriced, and each sale would result in a loss the company. Ms. Schwab ultimately contacted Dennis Lucey, Rivian's Finance Director, and worked with him to develop projections showing how much of a loss the company would incur if Rivian did not raise prices. Ms. Schwab raised this issue with several executives, including Mr. Behl, Stuart Dixon (Director of Product Management), and Andy Zicheck (Principal Product Manager).

"Mr. Behl brushed her off. Eventually, Mr. Hunt raised the issue with Mr. Behl, at which point Mr. Behl agreed that they would need to raise the vehicle prices after the IPO."
Other EV makers, with most of their products new to the market, are facing the same challenges with chips and raw material costs. However, any that have raised prices have not done so to the degree of Rivian. Tesla, for example, last fall bumped up sticker prices between $2,000 and $5,000 on many of its models. Ford's Mustang Mach-E has seen a $1,000 price increase, and the automaker has found ways to reduce the cost to manufacture the hot-selling electric crossover.

According to Bloomberg: "Debut versions of the R1T with a quad-motor, all-wheel drive and a large battery pack, giving a claimed 310 miles of range, started at $67,500. That vehicle will now cost around $79,500. The R1S with the same specifications is rising from around $70,000 to around $84,500."

Grumbling from reservation holders — who have to pay the higher costs after waiting as long as two years for their vehicles — is growing.

Rob, a Rivian R1T reservation holder from Pittsburgh wrote: "I'm right on the verge of cancelling. With so many delays, discontenting, and now this ENORMOUS price increase, I'm really sour on the idea of a Rivian right now."

A San Francisco customer who goes by dtb369 who is waiting on a Launch Edition R1T wrote: "Confirmed with CS as well that LE orders are impacted. My truck is expected in the April/May window and it will have the price increase. If this is true, I am likely out as I was already on the border of what I could afford, unfortunately. Very disappointing that they are not honoring their longtime, loyal customers. They should see raw material price increases as a sunk cost to build brand loyalty with their biggest fans."
A former R1T reservation holder from Philadelphia posting as Generalname wrote: "As a shareholder I applaud the increase. As a former pre-order holder the increase is laughable. My preorder went up over 20%. That is not inflation. Love to hate it I guess. I cancelled. Maybe some of my shares will buy the truck in 2025 when I was scheduled to get it anyway."

Some customers, however, say they will pay the price increase.

"Like most manufacturers, Rivian is being confronted with inflationary pressure, increasing component costs and unprecedented supply chain shortages and delays for parts (including semiconductor chips)," a Rivian spokesperson wrote to Automotive News in a statement.

"This rise in cost and complexity due to these challenging circumstances necessitate an increase to the prices of the R1T and R1S models we offer today — prices which were originally set in 2018. This decision will allow us to continue to offer competitive products that maintain the high standard of quality, performance and capabilities that our customers expect and deserve from Rivian."

It continued: "Along with the adjusted prices for our current offerings, we are also announcing Dual-Motor AWD and Standard battery pack options for R1T and R1S, which will provide a broader range of choices for customers as part of our expanding portfolio of options, upgrades and accessories."