carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
True, but I could find happiness in the kitchen. Not enough happiness to overcome Florida though
The kitchen is...fine, but kind of uninspiring. The appliances clearly cost a lot of money but I don't know that they're worth it.

And yeah, Florida? No thanks, but especially that part of Florida.

If you want to know what the Bad Place is, it's having a car like a GT3 and only being able to drive it in a state with ruler straight roads that have no elevation changes.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:13 AM   #22
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
FWIW, the Tesla solar system is less than 10 months old — the small box on top of one of the Powerwalls indicates it is a Powerwall+, which came out last spring. That system is $46-47k before tax and utility rebates (16kW based on the number of panels, and 2 Powerwalls). Probably only adds ~$25k value to the house.

If he took a loan on the solar system, he will need to be pay off in full at closing on the house sale…
Old 01-26-2022, 10:14 AM   #23
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The kitchen is...fine, but kind of uninspiring. The appliances clearly cost a lot of money but I don't know that they're worth it.

And yeah, Florida? No thanks, but especially that part of Florida.

If you want to know what the Bad Place is, it's having a car like a GT3 and only being able to drive it in a state with ruler straight roads that have no elevation changes.
The only part of Florida I like is Miami and The Keys and that is to only vacation in November thru February. The rest of the state is horrible.

100% spot on re the “Bad Place” for the GTS RS as well as his GT4. Edit: plus for any of the M cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
FWIW, the Tesla solar system is less than 10 months old — the small box on top of one of the Powerwalls indicates it is a Powerwall+, which came out last spring. That system is $46-47k before tax and utility rebates (16kW based on the number of panels, and 2 Powerwalls). Probably only adds ~$25k value to the house.

If he took a loan on the solar system, he will need to be pay off in full at closing on the house sale…
They have been in this home for approx a year. They were in contract to purchase a home on the lake which did not appraise so he backed out. Their previous large home with detached garage, pool and on a big lot had sold during that time and he did not place a contingency in that contract so they he had to follow through with the sale. They were in a mad dash to buy a house and they purchased the one just listed.

FYI, I know of all of this because I am subscribed to his YouTube videos which I formerly watched frequently.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #24
Alan
Carmudgeon

I just watched some of the video and it amazes me how detailed this person is not only with his cars but with every aspect of that Kitchen (Only watched the first 5 minutes of the video so far). He also makes me realize I must have some serious ADD issues. I mean he changed all the light bulbs in the Kitchen from 3000 to 3500 ... I don't know if it's just me but when I never looked at all the high hats in my Kitchen and thought I need to change every bulb to get the perfect lighting and then I am going to dim it 20% for regular use (he had mentioned this in the video).
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #25
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I mean he changed all the light bulbs in the Kitchen from 3000 to 3500 ... I don't know if it's just me but when I never looked at all the high hats in my Kitchen and thought I need to change every bulb to get the perfect lighting and then I am going to dim it 20% for regular use (he had mentioned this in the video).
I'm very sensitive to color temperature differences (and opinion on what color temps should be in what places at what times) and brightness levels. If they're not where I want them, it's very difficult to be around...though it's tempered by how easy of a fix it is. (And both of these things are potential issues for our kitchen when the lighting goes in.)

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #26
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I'm very sensitive to color temperature differences (and opinion on what color temps should be in what places at what times) and brightness levels. If they're not where I want them, it's very difficult to be around...though it's tempered by how easy of a fix it is. (And both of these things are potential issues for our kitchen when the lighting goes in.)
I completely get it, I went through something similar in my Building when we replaced all of the Florescent Fixtures with LED units, at first the new lights were so bright I could have performed surgery. I had to have them replace each and every bulb with a lower number bulb which was quite a bit of work considering they changed 145 units.

A guy like Matt would have known what bulb to use before they did the work.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #27
SCA
Jaded

Obsessed Garage - Listing GT4 and RS for sale. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZpOX-J...dium=copy_link

The RS sold in four hours for asking price, $295k.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just watched some of the video and it amazes me how detailed this person is not only with his cars but with every aspect of that Kitchen (Only watched the first 5 minutes of the video so far). He also makes me realize I must have some serious ADD issues. I mean he changed all the light bulbs in the Kitchen from 3000 to 3500 ... I don't know if it's just me but when I never looked at all the high hats in my Kitchen and thought I need to change every bulb to get the perfect lighting and then I am going to dim it 20% for regular use (he had mentioned this in the video).
I think his whole channel is premised on the fact that he is obsessive compulsive...so, yeah, it sounds like he takes everything to an extreme level.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote