carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
SCA
Jaded

The chip shortage is back for Year 2

The industry is not out of the chip shortage woods yet. It won't find relief for months, experts say. https://www.autonews.com/manufacturi...ge-back-year-2
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:57 PM   #2
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The industry is not out of the chip shortage woods yet. It won't find relief for months, experts say.
Anyone who expected this problem to go away by magic on January 1st isn't familiar with the way the industry works. The article is paywalled, so I can't see if they covered that.

And it isn't just chips - even simple things like electrolytic capacitors have estimated lead times stretching well into 2023.

I have a friend who designs limited-run electronic products (100 to 5000 finished units) for a well-known company. He's had to redesign one product 3 times already due to component shortages. In the time between his finishing up the design and delivering prototypes and when the manufacturer places bulk orders for parts, things keep going unavailable. I think the manufacturer finally resorted to proactively buying parts that might be used in the designs.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:06 PM   #3
SCA
Jaded

Any prediction that the new year was going to herald the end of the global microchip shortage and its persistent interruption of badly needed vehicles was wishful thinking.

Insufficient chip supplies will probably keep tripping up the industry for months to come, say auto executives and production forecasters, even as some automakers make deals to pay more for chips to get a higher priority among customers, and even as chipmakers promise new capacity plans.

"We're seeing some relief for manufacturers, but the problem isn't going to go away anytime soon," said Sam Fiorani, vice president of global vehicle forecasting for AutoForecast Solutions. "New chip factory capacity is being built. But it will be two or three years before it has an impact on supply."

January started off calmly enough. Few plants around the world experienced problems in the first days after the holiday break, even after 2021 ended with more than 10 million vehicles being canceled from production plans last year.

But that quiet didn't last long.

The supply shortage prompted Ford Motor Co. to reduce scheduled production at its plants in Flat Rock, Mich., and Oakville, Ontario. And last week, Toyota Motor Corp. said the shortage will force it to slash its worldwide February output by 150,000 vehicles to about 700,000. Toyota Motor North America said it will lose production of 25,000 to 35,000 much-needed vehicles from its North American plants next month.

As a result, Toyota will fall short of the 9 million-vehicle global production target it has been pursuing for this fiscal year — despite strong current consumer desire to buy new cars and trucks, the company said.

More production cuts are going to follow across the industry, predicted Fiorani, whose firm has tracked the chip shortage impact on worldwide output since the crisis erupted a year ago.

"This isn't over," he said. "And it's not going to be over anytime soon."

But when?
Last week in China, the industry ministry warned companies there to expect tight supplies of semiconductors over a relatively long period.

According to a Reuters report, Luo Junjie, an official with the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, used a press conference to encourage key businesses to increase investment and promote better supply capacity of the entire chip industry chain.

Separately, in an interview reported last week by Bloomberg, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger urged the U.S. and Europe to push ahead with efforts to foster chip manufacturing, arguing that government funding is needed to address an over-concentration of production in Asia.

"Let's not waste this crisis," he said. "It's good economics, but it's also national security."

Intel said Friday, Jan. 21, that it plans to spend $20 billion on a massive chipmaking hub on the outskirts of Columbus, Ohio, and Gelsinger indicated that some production would go to the auto industry.

The U.S. chipmaker is also planning to build a production base in Germany and other facilities in Italy and France.

But the question around the industry: When will adequate supplies of chips reach automakers?

"It's a complex situation," said Matteo Fini, IHS Markit vice president for automotive supply chain, technology and aftermarket. "The situation has eased somewhat, but it will continue through the midyear. At that time, we expect to see some new chip capacity come online, although it will not be a great deal.

"But then," he added, "a new situation will arise: The industry will begin to have a worse issue with what are known as analog chips. That will be a new layer of issues to deal with."

Analog chips are very widely used and perform relatively basic functions in automobiles, such as computing vehicle signals.

The chip industry has been evolving toward more sophisticated versions, and automakers are adopting those. But vehicles still rely on large numbers of analog chips.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

And now on top of plague and floods, we have earthquakes:
Impact of Earthquakes in the Kyushu Area on Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corp. Group Operations

The Oita facility primarily makes automotive semiconductors.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:45 PM   #5
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I interact with the auto industry for work. Expectation is that the shortage impacted auto production week into 2023. Automakers should be back to full production by late this year, but they will have a backlog to work through that could take another year or so to work through…
Old 01-25-2022, 11:15 PM   #6
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Department of Commerce Results from Semiconductor Supply Chain Request for Information
Old 03-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #7
SCA
Jaded

More good news, sarcasm… screenshot from Automotive News. I would post the full link but it is subscription-based.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	228D990B-530F-4FEB-A570-6617083DB9F8.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	14341  
Old 03-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Lord.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Lord.
This.

The chip shortage has a direct impact to our company in how we design, source, and price our products.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #10
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
This.

The chip shortage has a direct impact to our company in how we design, source, and price our products.
Woof Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
January started off calmly enough. Few plants around the world experienced problems in the first days after the holiday break, even after 2021 ended with more than 10 million vehicles being canceled from production plans last year.

But that quiet didn't last long.

Interesting quote from the story SCA posted at the end of January. Early January is when my car was built.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote