carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
SCA
Jaded

BMW says we should imagine the next M3 quite differently

As we all have expected hybridization coming to M models.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/14/b...ite-different/

Edit: Does this info influence any current owners in regards to holding onto their current M cars permanently?

Last edited by SCA; 01-14-2022 at 01:27 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
As we all have expected hybridization coming to M models.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/14/b...ite-different/

Edit: Does this info influence any current owners in regards to holding onto their current M cars permanently?
I can't say I'm surprised. Given how tech-forward and turbo'd the current M cars are, I'm not sure adding a hyrbid system would really take anything away. It could actually improve drivability (especially around town and from a stop). If you're talking about holding onto older NA M-cars-- of course.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
That's bound to add even more weight. Say what you want about the F80, but while it sure doesn't feel sportscar-light it's very light at mid-3k pounds. Already pushing 2 tons in the current gen M3, a hybrid version is going to be ridiculously heavy. And with EV cars pushing 2.5 tons, they will probably think that's ok.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That's bound to add even more weight. Say what you want about the F80, but while it sure doesn't feel sportscar-light it's very light at mid-3k pounds. Already pushing 2 tons in the current gen M3, a hybrid version is going to be ridiculously heavy. And with EV cars pushing 2.5 tons, they will probably think that's ok.
This!

Do you even drive it that much FC?
Old 01-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

BMW says we should imagine the next M3 quite differently

Quote:

A plug-in hybrid woukd add significant weight but a mild hybrid system woukd not (which is likely what they’d use in an m3).

Did a quick search for curb weights for the 2018 x3 40 vs the 2022. The 18 lacked the hybrid system while the new one has it. Looks like it added 75 pounds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
This!

Do you even drive it that much FC?
I do, but not in winter. That is a once-in a blue moon situation when it's cold but dry. Especially now that we have the GTI instead of the Miata as the 2nd winter car, there is hardly a reason to use the M3 in winter other than to not let it sit for too long.

It's just that most of the miles are highway miles. But I do use it any chance I get for fun drives.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #7
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I do, but not in winter. That is a once-in a blue moon situation when it's cold but dry.
I always tell buyer's of my cars if I wanted to buy a used car from someone it would be me but now I am thinking it should be FC
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote