carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #31
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I'll say that on the BMW, the flared rear wheel arches are covered by a small amount of PPF--and where they aren't covered, there is a fine sandblast of chips that looks like dust that never goes away. I would absolutely do more coverage on areas like that if I got a new car.

At the same time, the similar protectant film on the rear fenders of the Porsche looks like absolute crap. Not as bad as the pic I posted above, but...maybe not too far off. The saving grace for me is that my car isn't white, so it's not as noticeable. I suspect that PPF has come a long was since 2006, and I keep meaning to order new film for the Boxster, but I haven't gotten around to it.
There are varying qualities of PPF. The Camaro has similar small pieces that are of questionable value. I think they protect the paint under them, but the pieces take the hits and show it. On the gray car, the area with the factory PPF looked a little worse than the surrounding area without it.

In the pic below, the blue outline shows the factory piece which I will remove. The green outline is where I will apply Xpel Ultimate Plus. The area above is still going to pick up some chips, but without doing the entire side of the car, I have to stop somewhere, so I'm stopping with the top of the rocker panel (and live with the very small line that will exist under the door).

If I had your Boxster and wanted to replace that film, I'd do some searching to see what kind of experiences other people may have had with cars that have lived similar lives. I'd be a bit concerned that removing it would take clear coat with it, so I'd want to be prepared to "do something" if that happened. That something could be a number of different half-assed solutions short of actually repainting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	14026  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #32
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Josh, I am interested in hearing how you feel in a few months on this and how you feel the PPF has held up. Does PPF become just one more thing to worry about from scuffing up ? I have been down the same exact road as you with being behind a dump truck and I remember the R8 went from having one paint chip on the entire car to having over 40 of them .. it was horrible.

In that case I would have loved having the PPF but then if you think about it now I have the same chips but in the PPF (and possibly some that made it through) and now I get to spend another $2,500 having to redo the PPF or maybe more if they charge extra for removing the existing PPF.
You could say I would have spent that on repainting the hood but then I would be into the Hood for a total of $5,000 (2 PPF's) ... overall though I would have been ok with it being the hood wouldn't have had the chips then.
Some of the PPFs are self-healing. Many nicks that are initially visible wind up disappearing once it's in the sun for a little bit. It's not perfect, not everything will heal or heal completely, but it's pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Installer is key…
This. Very much this.

Quote:
You are truly over thinking it, but I get it as I am rather OCD in regards to my autos.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Some spot’s are so intricate that it will require few extra pieces and cannot be done with one full piece. Example the bottom of my front bumper where there are three cut out’s, those had to be done each one.
This also depends on the installer. Some are better at using a single piece where you wouldn't think they could, and some are worse at trying to force something that doesn't work. When cutting multiple pieces, there's also skill at choosing where to make the cuts and what pieces. When a really good installer does it, it can be really hard to impossible to find the edges without removing it. This is also part of what makes installation so expensive. It takes time and skill.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #33
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I depends on what compound you're using.
M205. So not that much.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote