carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #301
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Jason camissa did a brilliant job of ripping apart the new golf interior in this review

https://youtu.be/XGbPHp6QfkQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched that last week. Brutal. Did I ever tell you guys I know him. He lives super close to me. We have had lunch several times. He’s just as funny in person.

I have been to the local cars and coffee with him. Cracks me up.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #302
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
as JST said yes but I think you need to wait for the 8.5 in which they hopefully fix the interior mess, i.e. lack of buttons. It is on my radar
I mean.

You and I have lived with the 996 interior. Nothing is worse than that. Except maybe a 2020 E class.

So this can’t be terrible.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #303
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I mean.

You and I have lived with the 996 interior. Nothing is worse than that. Except maybe a 2020 E class.

So this can’t be terrible.
I don’t think the quality would bug but the lack of buttons and everything buried in layers of menus.

My 996 interior was not that bad for a 20 year old car but I think the original owner spec it well with full leather helped.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #304
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I watched that last week. Brutal. Did I ever tell you guys I know him. He lives super close to me. We have had lunch several times. He’s just as funny in person.

I have been to the local cars and coffee with him. Cracks me up.

Very cool! He’s my favorite car reviewer by far.

I just re-read this entire thread after walking by a mk7 GTI. Have had a fascination with them ever since they came out. Something very satisfying about the design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #305
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My wife told me a few days ago that there was a recall on the GTI. She mentioned it was some kind of software update. I looked at it in detail yesterday and it turns out to relate to the throttle mapping and the potential for a collision due to engine stall. I'm hoping it relates to my rant about lack of responsiveness and potential to stall. I mentioned this to my wife in the past: the need to always be very deliberate on left turns to ensure the rpms are high enough when one let's go of the clutch, otherwise the car could stall in front of oncoming traffic. And I had thought of calling/writing to complain about this very issue.

So I am hopeful this might fix the problem but also wonder if it may negatively impact other throttle-related characteristics.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #306
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Huh, good luck... I wonder if the recall goes back to cover 2015. I never noticed any issues or stalls with ours; just the usual VAG rev hang on fast shifts (but then again we were running APR software that the previous owner helpfully installed from new!).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #307
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
My wife told me a few days ago that there was a recall on the GTI. She mentioned it was some kind of software update. I looked at it in detail yesterday and it turns out to relate to the throttle mapping and the potential for a collision due to engine stall. I'm hoping it relates to my rant about lack of responsiveness and potential to stall. I mentioned this to my wife in the past: the need to always be very deliberate on left turns to ensure the rpms are high enough when one let's go of the clutch, otherwise the car could stall in front of oncoming traffic. And I had thought of calling/writing to complain about this very issue.

So I am hopeful this might fix the problem but also wonder if it may negatively impact other throttle-related characteristics.
yes there was a stalling issue on 2019 manual GTI, guess it applies to 2019+. I didn't have any stalling issues but got the SW update.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #308
robg
Carmudgeon

Inspired by Lemming (and reminded by Nick), I'm resurrecting this thread since I decided to pass on an X5 hybrid I had on order and am considering a GTI (holy indecision batman).

Next car I have on order is a mk8 GTI autobahn (since September) but with VW's supply chain issues its up in the air as to when it would actually arrive. Dealer has no clue...and that's fine with me because I can take my time waffling about it. Surprisingly the GTI has nearly all the same features as the fairly loaded x5 i'd specced.

The infotainment and haptic steering wheel buttons do kinda suck, but after playing around with it at a dealer it's not as bad as some reviewers make it out to be. Overall its probably no worse than the slow and clunky infotainment in our RRS..though the lack of dedicated climate control/seat heat buttons in the GTI probably makes it more irritating on balance.

I have never actually driven one since the local dealers never have any in stock (and when they do they treat the GTI like some sort of limited edition rare supercar) but maybe I need to look on Turo or something. Seats and driving position seemed good based on sitting one in the showroom back in the summer. Since I"m spending the money on the autobahn I'm also considering just going for an R instead (wife would prefer AWD too). When I last asked about those, they had no allocations and the few they had were going for way over sticker. Maybe thats changed now.

Has anyone driven a mk8 here?

Last edited by robg; 12-15-2022 at 02:00 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #309
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

if it takes long enough maybe you will get one without the haptic buttons on the wheel, they are supposed to be getting rid of them.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:18 PM   #310
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

As for driving the MK8, I have not driven one but from all the reviews it sounds like just like the MK7.5 but slightly improved.