carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #271
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
FC, have you noticed the front collision system being overly cautious?

I have mine turned down to the minimum but have had a couple of situations on high speed freeway of it freaking out and basically locking up the brakes. Those situations are when you are driving 70mph+ in the fast lane and people in front start braking fairly hard. I am aware of it but system thinks I am going to plow into the person in front and locks up the brakes. I guess if I was not paying attention it might avoid an accident(and scare the crap out of me)
Yes! Very annoying. That and the ECO tips suggesting that I upshift when I'm at 1800rpm.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #272
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
FC, have you noticed the front collision system being overly cautious?

I have mine turned down to the minimum but have had a couple of situations on high speed freeway of it freaking out and basically locking up the brakes. Those situations are when you are driving 70mph+ in the fast lane and people in front start braking fairly hard. I am aware of it but system thinks I am going to plow into the person in front and locks up the brakes. I guess if I was not paying attention it might avoid an accident(and scare the crap out of me)
Yeah...I think these front collision systems are pretty finicky. I remember reading an article about how if the sensors are even slightly out of alignment it can cause all sorts of issues. Surprisingly, the system on our Land Rover has been good. It only fired off once - my wife was driving and almost accelerated into the car in front of us from a stop. So it actually worked. I keep half expecting to get false positives in close stop and go type traffic but so far so good.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #273
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
... or the new 3 series is uglier.
OT, but to me the new 3er is not so much ugly as it is boring and it looks (and I guess is) HUGE for a 3er.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #274
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah...I think these front collision systems are pretty finicky. I remember reading an article about how if the sensors are even slightly out of alignment it can cause all sorts of issues. Surprisingly, the system on our Land Rover has been good. It only fired off once - my wife was driving and almost accelerated into the car in front of us from a stop. So it actually worked. I keep half expecting to get false positives in close stop and go type traffic but so far so good.
A few months ago, I think I posted a link here to a write up by a guy that aligns those kinds of sensors for a living. Sounds incredibly PITA for the most part. "Finicky" was a good word choice.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #275
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
A few months ago, I think I posted a link here to a write up by a guy that aligns those kinds of sensors for a living. Sounds incredibly PITA for the most part. "Finicky" was a good word choice.
Ha- yep that's where I read it
Old 06-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #276
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The system in my wife's Fusion saved my butt (and wallet) a few weeks ago. Both of us were concentrating on the state trooper alongside of us who suddenly pulled a 180 with his lights and siren turning on. 5 seconds in front of us someone decide to turn into a gas station that actually had gas, car in front of us stopped, I did not (was watching the state trooper) Fusion went from 40 mph to stopped in a second or two all on its own.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #277
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
The system in my wife's Fusion saved my butt (and wallet) a few weeks ago. Both of us were concentrating on the state trooper alongside of us who suddenly pulled a 180 with his lights and siren turning on. 5 seconds in front of us someone decide to turn into a gas station that actually had gas, car in front of us stopped, I did not (was watching the state trooper) Fusion went from 40 mph to stopped in a second or two all on its own.
Wow that's impressive. I bet your heart stopped when you felt the car slamming on the brakes.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #278
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I wish there was a permanent defeat for this kind of system. The collision avoidance in our CX-5 just about got us into a major accident a couple years ago. Now I go through a minute-long button dance every time I drive that thing to turn off that "feature."
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #279
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
I wish there was a permanent defeat for this kind of system. The collision avoidance in our CX-5 just about got us into a major accident a couple years ago. Now I go through a minute-long button dance every time I drive that thing to turn off that "feature."
The GTI turns them all off when you put it into sports mode traction control. It is kind of annoying since it lights up the dash like a Christmas tree with warnings.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #280
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Please tell me how, because I've had it intervene at the wrong time as well. Although. Kog's story is a cautionary tale.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote