carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #61
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I should go check out some cars at a dealer and try to figure out if my car has a problem.
Quote:
Bose
You don't need to visit the dealer to uncover your problem.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #62
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
That "Camarino" belongs in the "Only in Florida" thread as well... OMG... that this is just... nevermind.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #63
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

I should go check out some cars at a dealer and try to figure out if my car has a problem.
Bring your own source to do this! CD or USB stick
Old 03-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #64
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
That "Camarino" belongs in the "Only in Florida" thread as well... OMG... that this is just... nevermind.
That's a great way to describe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Bring your own source to do this! CD or USB stick
No CD option, USB or Bluetooth only for bringing your own. Even so, the issue I have is more of a day/night thing than a subtle or nuanced difference.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #65
clyde
Chief title editor

Just texted the guy that bought the same car as me the same day and he used similar objective terms: "sounds like the center dash speaker is the 'main' speaker." But, his subjective description was "sound quality is good, just the position is odd."

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #66
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by from camaro6.com/forums
If i had one more request from Chevy, it would of been to give us more flexibilty with the soundstage and DSP. The way it is, is not everyones cup of tea....but it does remind me of the center speaker setup from a 67 camaro. haha
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=16

This probably puts it well.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #67
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
One of the things that made my E36 M3 so good as a daily driver was the outward visibility. You sat up pretty high in that car, and it had a low beltline and lots of glass. I don't think I've had a daily driver that good since I sold that car. I think the Camaro would drive me nuts. I have to think autocrossing it will be a challenge.

In my opinion (not that you asked for it), I would use the turbo during break-in. To get the rings to seat properly requires cylinder pressure, which means boost and vacuum. And varying the RPM. We broke in both the 1.8T Jetta and the Mazdaspeed3 that way and they were (are) strong running engines. I broke in the 330Ci's engine on the dyno
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #68
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
One of the things that made my E36 M3 so good as a daily driver was the outward visibility. You sat up pretty high in that car, and it had a low beltline and lots of glass. I don't think I've had a daily driver that good since I sold that car. I think the Camaro would drive me nuts. I have to think autocrossing it will be a challenge.

In my opinion (not that you asked for it), I would use the turbo during break-in. To get the rings to seat properly requires cylinder pressure, which means boost and vacuum. And varying the RPM. We broke in both the 1.8T Jetta and the Mazdaspeed3 that way and they were (are) strong running engines. I broke in the 330Ci's engine on the dyno
I did similar break-ins on my cars. Not babying it, not slamming it, just driving it with an eye on how warm the engine is. No discernible oil usage in any of them.

But my boxer R1200R continues gulp oil. I didn't do the break-in, bought it with 2.5k. It might take more time the techs said, as the engine takes 8 to 10k to break in, apparently. Very surprising on a motorcycle. It's at 5k now.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #69
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
One of the things that made my E36 M3 so good as a daily driver was the outward visibility. You sat up pretty high in that car, and it had a low beltline and lots of glass. I don't think I've had a daily driver that good since I sold that car. I think the Camaro would drive me nuts.
I felt the same way about all my E46s. Great visibility with the seat jacked up--largely due to the low belt line. I also liked that you could actually rest your arm on the door when the window was down. Can't do that in most BMW coupes/sedans/convertibles these days--just the SUVs.

Visibility in the 2 series isn't too bad, with the mirrors properly adjusted. Best, of course, with the top down.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #70
clyde
Chief title editor

I was gentle on break in with the RX-8 and that worked out.

But, yeah, I'm going to change the oil tonight or in the morning and start driving it.

Visibility out is mostly a problem above and to the rear, not of much autocross importance. Visibility to the front right could be problematic between the A pillar and mirror. The driver side A pillar and mirror aren't much of a nuisance in regular driving as they were in the Focus.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?