carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
sometimes after you put money down to hold a date it could be hard?

but the "planner" should have flagged this weekend as miserable for the couple.

if you think about how much they gate off the finish line, for floral delivery and caterers this is miserable.
You're assuming an awful lot.

But this wedding is going to be some kind of awesome in terms of the experience for all involved (principals and attendees alike) and the stories they will all tell for the rest of their lives.

You can't buy that shit.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #22
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The night of 4/17, I'm seeing 509 (queen, no view) up to 569 (king, view) base rates...
You always have the option of declining the invitation

Is this a really close friend? Do you really want to go ... ?

I ask because it's easy to feel pressured or bullied into these kinds of things, these days I'm more likely to turn down invitations unless it's of meaningful value.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You're assuming an awful lot.

But this wedding is going to be some kind of awesome in terms of the experience for all involved (principals and attendees alike) and the stories they will all tell for the rest of their lives.

You can't buy that shit.
point taken.

i am obviously extremely misanthropic and shudder that someone would actually choose day of the marathon for such a special day, but i see your point.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Epilogue: Booked Omni Parker House and plan on using Boston Common Parking. Will be a 0.2mi walk to the wedding. My original gripe with this hotel was the valet-only parking. The common parking is half the price and not valet.

I missed the group rate on the Omni, called them and begged to no avail. Then saw a rate close to the group rate on kayak, called them again and they said they can't match web deals. So I booked them from the web (easytobook.com, decent prices and good cancellation policy).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Epilogue: Booked Omni Parker House and plan on using Boston Common Parking. Will be a 0.2mi walk to the wedding. My original gripe with this hotel was the valet-only parking. The common parking is half the price and not valet.

I missed the group rate on the Omni, called them and begged to no avail. Then saw a rate close to the group rate on kayak, called them again and they said they can't match web deals. So I booked them from the web (easytobook.com, decent prices and good cancellation policy).
Yep, Boston Common garage is cheap... $11/day on weekends. The entrance/exit is on the Charles St. side of the Common though, so it will be a bit longer of a walk to the Omni Parker. The walk from the Omni Parker to Park St. is very short though.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #26
equ
Alphanumeric

I priced out the common garage at $22 for my saturday/sunday stay. I noticed it's a bit of a walk, but hey, we'll be traveling light. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #27
equ
Alphanumeric

Epi-epi-logue: Garage was great, cheap and convenient to self-park. I even spotted the valets of my hotel whizzing around it, so I guess I found the right place (for cheaper, less wait and hassle and without the worry of giving up my keys).

Hotel: meh, not so much. I couldn't give a crap about its history. Location was awesome as it was a short walk back from the drunken party, but the room/amenities everything else sucked. I guess the 'historic' title doesn't do much for me. Didn't help that we got a really crappy room... And yes, it was completely booked by marathoners making a room upgrade/change impossible.