carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #741
JST

At the store for pick up. Place is a madhouse. There are *lots* of ppl here for deliveries.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #742
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Ugh, ZBB, that's terrible. On a brand new car that you've been waiting for for years... You're ok. The silver lining will be totaling. If not, that will really suck...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #743
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Like everyone said the good thing is you’re not injured, very sorry to hear this happened.

How fast do you think the civic was going ? My daughters 2017 A4 got hit in the same exact spot, a pick up truck was going I believe at least 30 mph without hitting the brakes and the car took the impact with literally no damage to the passengers compartment.

That car was totaled, yours looks a lot worse so I think it is going to be a total loss plus I would think getting the parts to fix it would be tough.
She was easily going 40-50, if not faster. The woman driving the Yukon with the horse trailer (that the teenager decided to pass) said she was driving 35, the speed limit. She also said she slammed on the brakes once she saw the Civic try to pass her with oncoming traffic. I believe her. The road is narrow, and it was really foggy - about 7am and about 20 min before the sun came over the horizon. Visibiity was maybe 1/4 mile. The girl driving the Civic tried to complete her illegal pass, and did not quite make it - bouncing off the front of the Yukon and my 3, into a telephone pole (the Duke Energy guy said it needed to be replaced...)

Thanks for your assessment on the damage. The 3 was moved to Tesla’s only approved body shop in town mid-day today. I should get an estimate on the repair cost early next week.

I was doing some searching today and found some pics of very similar damage to a 3 that was totaled - the only difference was that it was on the passenger side. I’m going to push for declaring it a total loss - I’m concerned that the battery pack is damaged, plus the rear motor. I also don’t want to have a near new (453 miles on the odo...) car with a frame repair. I’m going to push for diminished value, plus the price increase Tesla has put through.

I also stopped by Tesla today and asked one of the sales staff about order to delivery times — he said 2-4 weeks, and that they would help prioritize a replacement order if needed.

Also, quick update on how I feel — i felt fine today. Other than waking up at 2:30am last night from a flashback dream of the accident (an taking 2 hours to get back to sleep...), I feel fine... I’m just glad she hit the car behind me, not in my door....
Old 09-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #744
JST

Ok, it’s done. Car is home.

The financing thing was a shitshow but in the end Tesla’s lender matched the rate my bank was offering.

It’s fast—noticeably faster than the P85–but what’s really remarkable is how much more fun it is to drive. It’s a LOT more tossable, feels much smaller, and has better steering feel.

Am digging it so far.

JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #745
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Congrats.

Agree that it’s much more tossable. I miss mine already.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:14 AM   #746
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Also, quick update on how I feel — i felt fine today.
That's great to hear.

I hope you're able to minimize the financial impact as well.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:16 AM   #747
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s fast—noticeably faster than the P85–but what’s really remarkable is how much more fun it is to drive. It’s a LOT more tossable, feels much smaller, and has better steering feel.

Am digging it so far.
Excellent!
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #748
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats, jST!

Looks like this last weekend of the quarter saw a lot of action. Matt's Cayman R, your pick up and my JGC traded in for a Macan turbo.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #749
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Congrats, jST!

Looks like this last weekend of the quarter saw a lot of action. Matt's Cayman R, your pick up and my JGC traded in for a Macan turbo.
Also my Camry that I picked up yesterday
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #750
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Also my Camry that I picked up yesterday
Courage!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote