carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #31
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Man, dealing with a "high volume" dealership is a monumental pain in the ass. I'm stil 70/30 on actually coming home tomorrow with it. I have already had to deal with 6 different people and it took me until literally 20 minutes ago to get an actual agreed on cash in hand amount I need to bring tomorrow. This is after we had a sale price and trade value agreed on Monday. After we agreed on the everything, came the we charge a...
wait for it...
$799 dealer processing fee
and
$200 out of state processing fee.

F**************CK YOU!!!!

But the car is a diamond, and it is under priced by a lot, and it makes my wife very excited so I'm going to eat it. I did pull my offer to finance through them and am just bringing cash. F these people they are the worst. If I was in a normal car shopping situation where I had a few options to bounce off each other, I'd totally walk from these POS people, but I'm going to suck it up and hopefully close everything tomorrow.

The massage seats will have a lot of pent up stress to work out on the ride home
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #32
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Man, dealing with a "high volume" dealership is a monumental pain in the ass. I'm stil 70/30 on actually coming home tomorrow with it. I have already had to deal with 6 different people and it took me until literally 20 minutes ago to get an actual agreed on cash in hand amount I need to bring tomorrow. This is after we had a sale price and trade value agreed on Monday. After we agreed on the everything, came the we charge a...
wait for it...
$799 dealer processing fee
and
$200 out of state processing fee.

F**************CK YOU!!!!

But the car is a diamond, and it is under priced by a lot, and it makes my wife very excited so I'm going to eat it. I did pull my offer to finance through them and am just bringing cash. F these people they are the worst. If I was in a normal car shopping situation where I had a few options to bounce off each other, I'd totally walk from these POS people, but I'm going to suck it up and hopefully close everything tomorrow.

The massage seats will have a lot of pent up stress to work out on the ride home
Ugh, that sucks. The dealer processing fee is stupid, and VA's stupid high fee is one of the reasons I actually buy a lot of my cars in MD...but yeah, here you don't have a lot of choice.

And the $200 out of state processing fee also blows, but if they legitimately are going to handle all of the title work that's not cost-free and I can see the logic behind charging it.

Which isn't to say these guys aren't sleazy, because they totally are. Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow.

What are you trading in, the X5?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #33
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ugh, that sucks. The dealer processing fee is stupid, and VA's stupid high fee is one of the reasons I actually buy a lot of my cars in MD...but yeah, here you don't have a lot of choice.

And the $200 out of state processing fee also blows, but if they legitimately are going to handle all of the title work that's not cost-free and I can see the logic behind charging it.

Which isn't to say these guys aren't sleazy, because they totally are. Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow.

Yep. I am fine w/ the $200 fee. The $799 is really shit. They advertise " no haggle, transparent pricing BS" then when all is agreed on sent the paperwork with the $799 bomb dropped on us.

We are trading in the X5. 2013 with 158k miles. It's been a very good vehicle for us. We never fell in love with it, but we definitely appreciated how well it served us. We bought it in 2017 for $25,999 w/ 48k. We got our money's worth from it.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #34
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
This is true.

BTW, on massaging seats, my son accidentally hit a dash button and exclaimed, “What’s that?!”

He had hit his seat ventilation button on my luxury Mazda.

I’ve had a zillion BMWs, but this is the first car I’ve had with seat ventilation...may come in handy in ATL summers.

EDIT: Ex’s Boxster has it, but that was not my fun mobile. The 2 is rather spartan in its appurtenances. Fancy options were withheld from buyers—no HUD, no seat ventilation, no lane change warning, no adaptive cruise, etc...The Mazda has it all.

The Camaro is my first car with ventilated seats. It's an odd sensation. Especially when the fans turn on automatically and unexpectedly. Like happened for me for me the first time on Saturday.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #35
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:

I was just thinking, my last car purchases have been:
Ohio - Porsche
NJ - X5
MD - 135
NY - E61 535
NC - E36 M3
NY - E39 M5

The only cars I've bought in my home state over the last 15 years, were the two MDX cars and the e46 wagon. I almost forgot I also had the e90 335 in there from PA too. and I took over the loan on the F30 335GT from Pittsburgh, so basically, forget about my originaly point that my cars have come from out of state.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 03-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #36
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

Quote:
Yep. I am fine w/ the $200 fee. The $799 is really shit. They advertise " no haggle, transparent pricing BS" then when all is agreed on sent the paperwork with the $799 bomb dropped on us.

We are trading in the X5. 2013 with 158k miles. It's been a very good vehicle for us. We never fell in love with it, but we definitely appreciated how well it served us. We bought it in 2017 for $25,999 w/ 48k. We got our money's worth from it.
The max allowable fee in VA is $895 and almost every dealer charges it. So, congrats on saving a few bucks?

JST, I'm sure you're aware that MD raised how much dealers can charge for processing from $300 to $500 last summer and the price of every dealer-sold car the state went up $200 overnight.

This fee has always drove me insane. I don't mind giving dealers a fair profit, but it should be built into the price of the car. I almost walked over the fee when buying the RX-8. The way we had negotiated, they kept using $X+Tax and "Fees" and my counters were all $Y+TTL. The "we have a deal" number was mine. When they tried to add the fee, I said "No, that wasn't the deal." They said they have to charge it because if they don't, they could get sued by someone that did pay it. I said we agreed to a price without the fee. This is the amount of money that will come out of my pocket. If you lower your price for the car by $300, I'll pay the $300 fee. If not, thank you for your time." And they lowered the price of the car by $300.

The other thing that infuriates me these days are dealers removing freight/destination in advertising/negotiations and then re-adding it back after an agreed price. Not the case here since it's a used car, but that makes me go ballistic.

The $200 charge for doing out of region title work, though, is...fair, IMO since it's outside their normal process that they does cost them extra. And probably not much less than they charge you for it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #37
JST

Yes, agreed to all of that. It’s almost but not quite as infuriating as having to fight with BMW dealers back in the day for a set of floor mats.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #38
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Really makes me appreciate Tesla’s process. I hate haggling...
Old 03-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #39
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Well I got it and it is now home in our driveway. It's super nice, but I'll leave my impressions for a different thread with some pics, and info.

Up until 10:30 last night it was touch and go. Today wasn't nearly as painful, but we were still at the dealership for 2 & 1/2 hrs waiting for "paperwork to print". I didn't get a final bill of sale type of quote with everything tallied until 6:30pm last night, so we took our best guess on a cashiers check just before the bank closed and decided to make up the difference w/ cash or a personal check.

Once we got the final quote, I replied with a very detailed outline of what I was planning on bringing and what I was expecting. At 9:00pm the "Director" replied to my email and said I'd need additional documentation to trade in the X5. This led to a heated phone call with me repeatedly explaining that all the info in the email had been shared multiple times w/ multiple employees of his over the last two days and everyone up until then said it was fine. His response was "this is the first I'm hearing about it". 45 minutes of arguing led to an agreement that we'll keep the car sales separate - he will sell me the wagon, I'll sell him the x5 when I get the doc that was missing later this week. Had to split the $450 lost sales tax savings from processing a trade. These guys sucked sooo much. I would have walked away 15 times from this deal if the car wasn't a serious rarity at a great price.

The ride home was much more pleasant than the 3hr ride down there on RT95 (with the torrential rain, and 3hrs of sleep because of all the stress), but the nasty weather didn't let me explore too much of it.

Really cool aside, they left the contact info of the old owner in the car. I just linked in to him and we're going to chat at 5:30 to catch up on the build, etc. Should be interesting.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 03-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #40
JST

Quote:
Well I got it and it is now home in our driveway. It's super nice, but I'll leave my impressions for a different thread with some pics, and info.

Up until 10:30 last night it was touch and go. Today wasn't nearly as painful, but we were still at the dealership for 2 & 1/2 hrs waiting for "paperwork to print". I didn't get a final bill of sale type of quote with everything tallied until 6:30pm last night, so we took our best guess on a cashiers check just before the bank closed and decided to make up the difference w/ cash or a personal check.

Once we got the final quote, I replied with a very detailed outline of what I was planning on bringing and what I was expecting. At 9:00pm the "Director" replied to my email and said I'd need additional documentation to trade in the X5. This led to a heated phone call with me repeatedly explaining that all the info in the email had been shared multiple times w/ multiple employees of his over the last two days and everyone up until then said it was fine. His response was "this is the first I'm hearing about it". 45 minutes of arguing led to an agreement that we'll keep the car sales separate - he will sell me the wagon, I'll sell him the x5 when I get the doc that was missing later this week. Had to split the $450 lost sales tax savings from processing a trade. These guys sucked sooo much. I would have walked away 15 times from this deal if the car wasn't a serious rarity at a great price.

The ride home was much more pleasant than the 3hr ride down there on RT95 (with the torrential rain, and 3hrs of sleep because of all the stress), but the nasty weather didn't let me explore too much of it.

Really cool aside, they left the contact info of the old owner in the car. I just linked in to him and we're going to chat at 5:30 to catch up on the build, etc. Should be interesting.
Wow, great to hear it worked out, but sorry that the process was so sleazy. And that sucks about the X5 and the lack of accountability and responsibility on the part of the "Director."

Hilarious that they left the contact info for the prior owner inside, though. What a bunch of idiots.

And, um, I'm glad you liked the car! I would have felt bad if you didn't.