carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #21
Alan
Carmudgeon

The Taycan looks like a really cool car but I don’t think I would want to have a sedan with rear wheel drive especially after driving an Electric car and seeing how they have instant power I would think AWD is important.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #22
JST

RWD electric cars are fun, same as RWD ice cars. I bought a P85+ Intentionally because it was one of the last hi po RWD Teslas.

You can do a lot more with AWD obviously but given that it’s a 20k+ up charge on the Taycan (and you can get the bigger battery on the RWD) it’s not a no-brainer to me.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I dunno. I can see an argument for the fact that EV has so much torque that you might as well go for the cartoonish-levels-of-acceleration fun angle with AWD, whereas a RWD ICE give you more purist/Neanderthal-type fun.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I hadn't really paid much attention to this car given the nosebleed prices of the versions that are out currently. 80k is still a ton of money, but it atleast caused me to go down the rabbit hole of configurators and research.
What are your driving use cases? Did you (pre-covid) you commute to work with a car? How many trips per year? Where and for how many days?

I never used to ask myself these questions for years beyond 1. is it fun to drive 2. how is it for a summer trip? a ski trip? 3. need decent looks, depreciation & reliability.

For an EV, I think I'd need to think a little harder. How long are the trips? How many days stay? Do I go somewhere remote/off the beaten path, or stick to main/busy corridors and stay in modern hotels? I agree that many people overweight their rare trips that they could handle with rentals.

My trips are few as well but my commute is non-existent. If I were perfectly rational, I would not only sell my cars to get an EV, I'd sell the EV, not have a car and only rent / turo / silvercar as needed.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #25
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The Taycan looks like a really cool car but I don’t think I would want to have a sedan with rear wheel drive especially after driving an Electric car and seeing how they have instant power I would think AWD is important.

Yeah will be interesting to see how much the regular “4” version costs (I assume they’ll eventually introduce it in keeping their other model lines.) That being said, it’s not like the base taycan has an overwhelming amount of power so the difference in its ability to put down power might not be that different. Also with electric motors, traction control can be more fine grained and precise as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #26
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
RWD makes it more appealing to me than AWD certainly, but at $80k I'm not the target market.

From people I trust who have driven both, the RWD Tesla Model 3 is a lot more fun on the street than the AWD version. They report better steering feel and that the car feels more nimble and tossable. Acceleration in the real world is still better than 99% of vehicles on the road, so what you give up to the AWD version is a don't-care IMO.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #27
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
RWD makes it more appealing to me than AWD certainly, but at $80k I'm not the target market.

From people I trust who have driven both, the RWD Tesla Model 3 is a lot more fun on the street than the AWD version. They report better steering feel and that the car feels more nimble and tossable. Acceleration in the real world is still better than 99% of vehicles on the road, so what you give up to the AWD version is a don't-care IMO.
Makes sense...similar to the effect AWD has on ICE cars as well. It's funny- back when I had my e46 I used to be a diehard "RWD + snow tires is all you need". I suspect that a RWD EV is also able to approximate (actually do better than), what a limited slip diff can do in terms of sending the right amount of power to each rear wheel. Could be wrong about that though.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #28
John V
No more BMWs

So long as it's a single power source (as opposed to individual motors for each wheel) the same problem exists as with a gas engine. I'd fully expect that the Taycan has a limited slip rear diff, but haven't done any research to support that expectation.

Sending power to the front wheels pollutes the steering feel regardless of whether the power source is an ICE or an electric motor, and the extra weight doesn't do it any favors either.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #29
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So long as it's a single power source (as opposed to individual motors for each wheel) the same problem exists as with a gas engine. I'd fully expect that the Taycan has a limited slip rear diff, but haven't done any research to support that expectation.

Sending power to the front wheels pollutes the steering feel regardless of whether the power source is an ICE or an electric motor, and the extra weight doesn't do it any favors either.
torque vectoring electrically controlled diff per the literature. so, yes, limited slip. curious what the durability of that thing is?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #30
John V
No more BMWs

With the exception of the early plebian-model water-cooled engines, Porsche reliability seems to be pretty good, so..