carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Happened to see this on some feed I subscribed to from car and driver:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...del-announced/

I hadn't really paid much attention to this car given the nosebleed prices of the versions that are out currently. 80k is still a ton of money, but it atleast caused me to go down the rabbit hole of configurators and research.

I have to say I'm pretty intrigued by this car-- love the way it looks (they've finally captured the look of a 4 door 911 imo), and by all accounts its amazing to drive. The low range that's been adverstised (~200 EPA iirc) is apparently very conservative and C&D some test where they found that a taycan turbo and model s performance were only about 10 miles apart in real world range or something. Plus as more high speed chargers are deployed, it'll be capable of charging from 5-80% in like 20 minutes or so. Kind of disappointing that its not a hatchback and it does seem to be pretty cramped given the size of the car (its about the size of a 5 series). The over reliance on touch screens is also a bit annoying (including the air vents!!).

Overall, I like the idea of a Porsche that a) looks great b) drives great c) has potentially much lower running costs than typical Porsches. As for the price, it's easy to add 15k of options just to get the stuff you'd assume was standard (typical), but it is eligible for 7.5k tax credit, plus its not some super rare GT car where you can't negotiate. Anyway, its been a fun rabbit hole to go down.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
If I needed a new sedan, sure. I certainly would consider it before a Tesla.

But I don't see myself buying a new car (except for a Boxster or similar) for several years.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
JST

The open question for me on all the non-Tesla EVs announced recently is how well their charging networks will be built out and scale. I am intrigued by the Taycan, and for the reasons you mention the range doesn't worry me that much--but only if the charging network is reasonably robust.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The open question for me on all the non-Tesla EVs announced recently is how well their charging networks will be built out and scale. I am intrigued by the Taycan, and for the reasons you mention the range doesn't worry me that much--but only if the charging network is reasonably robust.
Do you use the Tesla chargers a lot? seems like only for road trips in which I would prefer to use a gas car anyhow. Basically I see my self charging at home or work almost all the time.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Base Taycan announced (RWD/80k). Anyone intrigued?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Given the huge push toward EVs, I’m pretty certain there will be acceptable coverage for non Teslas within a couple years. Musk had also mentioned something about opening up their network but who knows if that woukd actually happen. On a related note, it looks like the taycan will support some ISO standard (as of 21my) that allows the car to directky handle the authentucation/payment without messing with apps, credit cards etc. So the usability of non tesla charging networks is going to improve as well.

Personally, I’ve realized that we only take trips longer than 200 miles a day maybe a few times a year. Even with the current electrify America network, it could still work in those few cases.

Can’t believe im already trying hard to rationalize a taycan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Do you use the Tesla chargers a lot? seems like only for road trips in which I would prefer to use a gas car anyhow. Basically I see my self charging at home or work almost all the time.
That was my experience with the eGolf. I think it will be a long while before I am comfortable relying on electrical chargers to continue my travels or being able to return unless I am confident about the availability of the charger (workplace or someone's home I am visiting). I rather take an IC or hybrid car until then.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I (used to) drive to NYC and Atlantic City regularly, and we would typically take the Tesla. The Model 3 is our biggest car! And it actually is a nicer car on trips than the BMW, charging aside, and on the trip to NYC you only need one charging stop.

But yeah, even apart from the NYC and AC trips, I generally take the Tesla on road trips.

EDIT: To FC's point above, the Tesla network on the East Coast anyway is robust enough that I don't really give it a second thought; these days there are multiple chargers en route so even if one is offline or full it's easy enough to divert.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #8
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
The Electrify America network is coming along pretty well, although its still fairly far behind Tesla's Supercharger network. But at least they are following the same model of multiple chargers (4-12) per station. This is the VW-funded network...

Here's their map: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/loc.../?search=77429

But the Taycan and most other EVs use the CCS/SAE standard for DC fast charging (Basically everyone except Tesla and Nissan these days) -- if you go to plugshare.com, you can filter chargers to just those and see all sites from all charging networks. Its getting pretty decent for those that can do most of their charging at home...

Tesla has released a CCS adapter outside the US, and rumors are that it is coming to the US also. There's also a 3rd party CCS-to-Tesla adapter that appears to work, but its $980 (article here: https://insideevs.com/news/463721/te...adapter-setec/ ). This would open up Tesla to these 3rd party charging networks. I bought Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter for a road trip a few years ago, but honestly haven't had a need for it since then -- Superchargers have met our road trip needs pretty well.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #9
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
The Electrify America network is coming along pretty well, although its still fairly far behind Tesla's Supercharger network. But at least they are following the same model of multiple chargers (4-12) per station. This is the VW-funded network...

Here's their map: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/loc.../?search=77429

But the Taycan and most other EVs use the CCS/SAE standard for DC fast charging (Basically everyone except Tesla and Nissan these days) -- if you go to plugshare.com, you can filter chargers to just those and see all sites from all charging networks. Its getting pretty decent for those that can do most of their charging at home...

Tesla has released a CCS adapter outside the US, and rumors are that it is coming to the US also. There's also a 3rd party CCS-to-Tesla adapter that appears to work, but its $980 (article here: https://insideevs.com/news/463721/te...adapter-setec/ ). This would open up Tesla to these 3rd party charging networks. I bought Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter for a road trip a few years ago, but honestly haven't had a need for it since then -- Superchargers have met our road trip needs pretty well.
Yeah, decent coverage; it looks like they have a deal with Walmart and Target and Wawa, so quite a few colocations there. There's one at the Target near me; it's mostly empty but every now and then there are a few cars there. I think maybe the dealers are using it to juice their inventory cars.

The problem with those locations can be that they aren't exactly right on the highway. The one in Falls Church, VA is...not conveniently located if you're trying to get to it from the Beltway. But the coverage looks solid and good enough that I could make a NYC run without much trouble.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #10
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
So, i haven't delved into this. But does the Taycan have a hatchback?

Never mind. Finally found some shots of the rear open.

Given that it's not a hatch and only seats four, that really removes a lot of the utility. It is cool looking, but I'd need more flexibility to make it my one and only car. And that's the only way I could swing it.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote